Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Judgement Day, Qiyamah, The Apocalypse, Et Cetera Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Btw, Qiyamah is Arabic for Judgment Day
  For you peoples who can't speak Arabic
  And are ignorant of Islamic tradition
  Or for people who already knew this are are henceforth AWESOME.
View Results

Leixi

8,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:58 pm
[Tsukasa567]
Leixi
[Tsukasa567]
Thanatos Phoenix
Hmmm well the next date to look out for is December 21st, 2012 the end of the Maya calendar.

So it´s pretty close...

Or another more convincing scenario.

99942 Apophis smacking into Earth on April 13, 2036.

Now I need to stop so I don´t freak out more people then I intended too.
I don't buy into the asteriod hitting us deal, space is really big and the area it has to pass through is really tiny, so I'd think that the odds of it hitting that area would be small enough to not be worried. Of course, since it's nearly 30 years away, we will probably have some sort of plan to save Earth, if it came down to that.
' T H I S ' ' I S '

We'll have space crafts ;D
xD

' S U C H ' ' A ' ' D R A G '
I don't think that would matter much, it would be nearly impossible to sustain the entire human population in space crafts forever. And at the current rate, I doubt that we'll have colonies that could support more a few people set up within even the next 50 years.
' T H I S ' ' I S '

I know... Knowing the government we are screwed xD

' S U C H ' ' A ' ' D R A G '

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:04 pm
Iconised Ghost
I dont believe in it.

Of course, the world will end, all things come to an end, but that will just be the end of the earth, other things/planets will go on (until they come to their end too of course)

But i dont believe that one day the believers will be taken from earth while the rest of us are left here to burn (sorry if thats inaccurate, thats just what i was told by one of my Islamic friends ages ago)

What is supposed to happen in 2012?

That theory is flawed. Existence cannot be substantiated without a higher power. In the case of atheism, the only possible explanation for the existence of a universe is that it exists do to one's own observations of it. In which case, the entire end of the universe would come around whenever your life ended.

It's impossible to believe that other worlds will continue to exist after the end of our world (which would end your life as well) unless you believe in a power higher than yourself to sustain their existence. It's not religion, it's science.  

Thief

dragoeni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:11 pm
I am a muslim and I believe in Qyamah(Judgement Day) but who said the world will end on 2012 ? it was never mentioned the date just that it will be a day where very strange stuff will happen like Sun rising from the west,...etc.
I believe that and just don't put the "2012" thing with Qyamah  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:16 pm
dragoeni
I am a muslim and I believe in Qyamah(Judgement Day) but who said the world will end on 2012 ? it was never mentioned the date just that it will be a day where very strange stuff will happen like Sun rising from the west,...etc.

It's not a Muslim belief. It's an ancient Mayan prediction that this cycle of creation will end.
Quote:
The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, notably used by the Maya civilization among others of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle since the calendar's mythical starting point (equivalent to 3114 BC August 11 in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, according to the "GMT-correlation" JDN= 584283).[7] The Long Count b'ak'tun date of this starting point (13.0.0.0.0) is repeated, for the first time in a span of approximately 5,125 solar years. The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear, and there is an incomplete inscription (Tortuguero Stela 6) that records this date. It is also to be found carved on the walls of the Temple of Inscriptions in Palenque, where it functions as a base date from which other dates are computed.[8] However, it is conjectured that this may represent in the Maya belief system a transition from the current Creation world into the next. The 2012 Winter Solstice will also occur on this day at 11:11 UTC.[9]

Thief

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:17 pm
dragoeni
No one ever put it with Qyamah, it's a Mayan thing, and I didn't see anyone say they were connected, other than that they are both two possible ends of the Earth.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:59 pm
Thief
Iconised Ghost
I dont believe in it.

Of course, the world will end, all things come to an end, but that will just be the end of the earth, other things/planets will go on (until they come to their end too of course)

But i dont believe that one day the believers will be taken from earth while the rest of us are left here to burn (sorry if thats inaccurate, thats just what i was told by one of my Islamic friends ages ago)

That theory is flawed. Existence cannot be substantiated without a higher power. In the case of atheism, the only possible explanation for the existence of a universe is that it exists do to one's own observations of it. In which case, the entire end of the universe would come around whenever your life ended.

It's impossible to believe that other worlds will continue to exist after the end of our world (which would end your life as well) unless you believe in a power higher than yourself to sustain their existence. It's not religion, it's science.

in your opinion that theory is flawed. Its not impossible to believe that other worlds will continue to exist, because thats what i believe. I understand what you are saying (i think), that reality only exists as we think it does, and once we stop thinking it does, it stops existing (bad way to put it i know, but im sick >.<). But thats just a theory too wink one that i dont buy into entirely  

Iconised Ghost

angel_half82
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:00 pm
[Tsukasa567]
I don't buy into the whole world ending in 2012 bit, although I do believe that it will end eventually. Mostly because of the fact that in several million, I think, years, the sun will be in the final stages of it's destruction and will engulf the planet. Whether we are still here at that time, or not, I can't guess.

But, I don't believe that humanity will end as it is told in different religions.

According to the national enquirer the world was supposed to end on the year 2000, 2002, 2004, and (my personal favorite) January 29th 2008. That asteroid that passed within 5 million miles of us was supposed to hit us. rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:28 pm
@ Kasa Kun: I think they actually found that the Mayan calender is not the only one that points to 2012 as the end of days. I think theres this Chinese one to and some other one but I dont remember their names sweatdrop

As for me I have to much trouble as it is trying to find a way to live and be happy to worry myself about when the world is going to end or if it will end. There have always been people trying to point to the end of days and predict the end of the world as we know it and so far most of them have been wrong. Hopefully if it is coming it wont happen in my life time XD I dont think Id survive very long....  

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:30 pm
Knitterz
@ Kasa Kun: I think they actually found that the Mayan calender is not the only one that points to 2012 as the end of days. I think theres this Chinese one to and some other one but I dont remember their names sweatdrop

As for me I have to much trouble as it is trying to find a way to live and be happy to worry myself about when the world is going to end or if it will end. There have always been people trying to point to the end of days and predict the end of the world as we know it and so far most of them have been wrong. Hopefully if it is coming it wont happen in my life time XD I dont think Id survive very long....
No, I don't think the Chinese calendar does that, based simply on the fact that every 12 years their calender repeats, whereas the Mayans based their calendar on the stars and precise calculations. I could be wrong though.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Iconised Ghost
Thief
Iconised Ghost
I dont believe in it.

in your opinion that theory is flawed. Its not impossible to believe that other worlds will continue to exist, because thats what i believe. I understand what you are saying (i think), that reality only exists as we think it does, and once we stop thinking it does, it stops existing (bad way to put it i know, but im sick >.<). But thats just a theory too wink one that i dont buy into entirely

In order to contradict commonly accepted theory, you'd need to present an alternative.

For example, if I say "Light refraction does not make the sky blue", I'd need to explain why.

At current, we have no other explanation for proving existence BESIDES observation. The only beings we believe to have observation are ourselves, (I think, therefore I am), and God. If you do not believe in a God, then you MUST believe that your own observations determine your reality. There are simply no other theories.

In essence, you're last post says "Everyone but me is wrong". While I'm willing to accept that, you must also accept that it's not my opinions, it's the only two opinions I've ever heard.

If you have another explanation for what force sustains existence, then please provide your theory. But if you don't have a theory, I believe it'd be no more than ignorant to automatically discredit the commonly accepted ones.

Also, keep in mind that until someone is able to provide a solution to Schrodinger's thought experiment, it is common scientific theory that the entire world is dependent on superstates (the existence of more than one thing at the same time, until someone observes a single state and the other possibilities collapse). If the leading scientists have difficulty disproving this, how should you plan to?

I'm not trying to antagonize you; however, your line of thinking just seems to focus on the improbable. I'm willing to accept that there may be more explanations, but I'd like to hear them before you claim to believe in them.  

Thief

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:35 pm
[Tsukasa567]
Knitterz

No, I don't think the Chinese calendar does that, based simply on the fact that every 12 years their calender repeats, whereas the Mayans based their calendar on the stars and precise calculations. I could be wrong though.

ooooh could be... D: It was something i saw on Discovery  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:39 pm
Knitterz
[Tsukasa567]
Knitterz

ooooh could be... D: It was something i saw on Discovery
I only know about the Mayan calendar running out on that day, not sure about anything else though.  

tsukasa_the_quiet

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:12 am

I have a threory that there is no original thought. That, combined with the ever growning belif that there is only this life, no rebirth nor hevean/hell/spirit plane, paints a bleak picture.
Even with a belivf of a sprit plane/heaven/hell What purpase other than to prove our purity or impurity does this life serve? I can't think of any.

Either way, this life seems rather pointless, but yet almost everyone is attached to it to the extent that they can't die or kill themselves readily without any regret.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:09 am
dragoeni

Dude, that's awesome. Do you drink?  

MonsieurSponge

Tenolein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:23 pm
Thief
Iconised Ghost
I dont believe in it.

lol

Sorry, but that last sentence sounds like a crazy episode of 'Bill Nye the Science Guy'.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff