Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
What will the future be like? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Good thing to talk about?
  Yes it´s interesting.
  No it´s boring
  It´s okay
  PW
View Results

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:07 am
bluegrass cat
Thanatos Phoenix
angel_half82
I want a chobit dammit.

If they ever need a test subject to go all bionic man on I will definitely volunteer. twisted
You know that, I would volunteer to 3nodding

as would i! i want to be like the major from ghost in the shell!!!

and i also want a chobit! xd well, rather, i want a mobile persocom.

please, no one ask angel WHY he wants one. sweatdrop its embarrassing...

anyway, i'm actually fairly optimistic about the future as of right now, just because there's so many wonderfully awesome things being invented. also, people's attitudes towards the planet and the environment and our impact on it are changing for the first time in a LONG time.

nanobots are going to be in use within 25-50 years. did y'all know that? you get sick, they'll inject you with wonderful little disease fighting machines. 3nodding i'm hella excited!

of course, the next ice age is on its way, and that'll certainly put a damper on things. and then of course there's the next time ((within 200 million years)) when the continents for another super continent, and that'll suck...

and there's always the possibility of an asteroid crashing into us and wrecking havoc with our climate...

but other than all those things, i think stuff is looking up on the whole. 3nodding there has never been a time of freer idea exchange, or a time when equality has been so embraced. there's never been a brighter period of advances in medicine and knowledge of the world around with within us.

i think its easy for people to get mired and bogged down in all these "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE A HORRIBLE, COMMUNIST DEATH!" ideas about the future, but you have to look @ history and where we've COME from and then @ where we are today and THEN you can get a better, more evenly rounded out idea of where we're going.

3nodding
It would be sweet if within my lifetime we got to the point where it became like Ghost in the Shell, that' would be awesome. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:24 am
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat
Thanatos Phoenix
angel_half82
I want a chobit dammit.

If they ever need a test subject to go all bionic man on I will definitely volunteer. twisted

anyway, i'm actually fairly optimistic about the future as of right now, just because there's so many wonderfully awesome things being invented. also, people's attitudes towards the planet and the environment and our impact on it are changing for the first time in a LONG time.

nanobots are going to be in use within 25-50 years. did y'all know that? you get sick, they'll inject you with wonderful little disease fighting machines. 3nodding i'm hella excited!

of course, the next ice age is on its way, and that'll certainly put a damper on things. and then of course there's the next time ((within 200 million years)) when the continents for another super continent, and that'll suck...

and there's always the possibility of an asteroid crashing into us and wrecking havoc with our climate...

but other than all those things, i think stuff is looking up on the whole. 3nodding there has never been a time of freer idea exchange, or a time when equality has been so embraced. there's never been a brighter period of advances in medicine and knowledge of the world around with within us.

i think its easy for people to get mired and bogged down in all these "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE A HORRIBLE, COMMUNIST DEATH!" ideas about the future, but you have to look @ history and where we've COME from and then @ where we are today and THEN you can get a better, more evenly rounded out idea of where we're going.

3nodding
It would be sweet if within my lifetime we got to the point where it became like Ghost in the Shell, that' would be awesome. xd
Ray Kurzweil believes that we´ll see post humans soon, Like 2035- 2040 3nodding  

Thanatos Phoenix

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:41 am
Thanatos Phoenix
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat
Thanatos Phoenix
angel_half82
I want a chobit dammit.

3nodding
Better start saving my money for the operations then. xD  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:03 pm
User Image
Did someone say future?

Just some comments on Ray Kurzweil´s future. Many of these ideas are similar to my own.
Quote:
2010: Computers will disappear as distinct physical objects, meaning many will have nontraditional shapes and/or will be embedded in clothing and everyday objects.

This has already happened. You can already get clothing with thermometers, monitors for your vitals, flash memory, bluetooth and usb support.
Quote:
2010: Computers become smaller and increasingly integrated into everyday life.
Already happened.
Quote:
2010: High-quality broadband Internet access will become available almost everywhere.
It's available via satellite most everywhere, at varying costs.
2014: Automatic house cleaning robots will have become common.
Roomba much?
Quote:
2018: 10^13 bits of computer memory--roughly the equivalent of the memory space in a single human brain--will cost $1000.
It'll cost alot less than that. If you know where to shop, 2TB, or 2*10^12 drives costs around $600. Five of those is 10^13, which runs around $3000. Considering the price of production is going down by half nearly every six months, this should definitely be by 2010, not 2018.
Quote:
2020's: Computers less than 100 nm big will be possible.

45nm integrated circuits are already around. Simple instructions can be executed from 3 or 4 of these, which is less than 100nm (in area).
Quote:
2030's: Brain uploading becomes possible.
This is absolutely useless. By 2030, VR will allow us to access a computer interface for a computer that is either integrated directly into our brain, or is directly attached to us. With a visual interface wired directly to our optic nerve, wireless internet, and input controlled in the same way as an artificial limb, we will be able to access any knowledge or tool, any time. Learning will be useless, as the collective human conscious will allow us to get any information, any time. This will happen long before brain downloading/uploading, and will make brain downloading/uploading useless. I love the idea, being a lain fan, but I believe integration of humans and machines will make this far less useful. It may still exist, but I don't think it will be a major development or in common use.
Quote:
2045: The Singularity occurs as artificial intelligences surpass human beings as the smartest and most capable life forms on the Earth. Technological development is taken over by the machines, who can think, act and communicate so quickly that normal humans cannot even comprehend what is going on. The machines enter into a "runaway reaction" of self-improvement cycles, with each new generation of A.I.'s appearing faster and faster. From this point onwards, technological advancement is explosive, under the control of the machines, and thus cannot be accurately predicted.
Actually, data informatics is the study and research of training AI to study and research, and has already proven successful. However, the integration of computers directly into our own brains will guarantee that computers never become smarter than us, as we will instantly learn anything that they discover.
Quote:
Post 2045: The physical bottom limit to how small computer transistors can be shrunk is reached. From this moment onwards, computers can only be made more powerful if they are made larger in size.
At this point, computer transistors will be shrunk to the quantum level, at which more than one state can exist in the same place at the same time, allowing for infinite processing power to be developed without increasing the size. Granted, size will no longer decrease, but it won't increase, either. Regardless, parallel processing will occur over enormous human networks, meaning that everyone's brain will be so closely connected and able to share processing power that there will be little need for further computing development.
Quote:
Post 2045: Because of this, A.I.'s convert more and more of the Earth's matter into engineered, computational substrate capable of supporting more A.I.'s. until the whole Earth is one, gigantic computer.
Took the words out of my mouth.
Quote:
Post 2045: At this point, the only possible way to increase the intelligence of the machines any farther is to begin converting all of the matter in the universe into similar massive computers. A.I.'s radiate out into space in all directions from the Earth, breaking down whole planets, moons and meteoroids and reassembling them into giant computers. This, in effect, "wakes up" the universe as all the inanimate "dumb" matter (rocks, dust, gases, etc.) is converted into structured matter capable of supporting life (albeit synthetic life).
And we become the borg. I hate to say it, but that's where all these ideas lead. Not that I'd mind at all, but it's a scary thought for some people.
Quote:
Kurzweil said in a 2006 C-SPAN2 interview that "nanotechnology-based" flying cars would be available in 20 years.
How long have people been saying this? I'll believe it when it happens.  

Thief

WastelandMama
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:37 pm
[Tsukasa567]
Thanatos Phoenix
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat
Thanatos Phoenix
angel_half82
I want a chobit dammit.

3nodding

HELLZ. YEAH.

xd xd xd

what i'm really interested in though are cyber-brains...i just think it would be kickass to be sitting there, pretending to pay attention, but really surfing the net or posting on gaia IN YOUR MIND! ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:41 pm
bluegrass cat
[Tsukasa567]
Thanatos Phoenix
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat

3nodding

HELLZ. YEAH.

xd xd xd

what i'm really interested in though are cyber-brains...i just think it would be kickass to be sitting there, pretending to pay attention, but really surfing the net or posting on gaia IN YOUR MIND! ninja
Cyber mind and body for me, something that never wears out, or when it does, can be replaced while my mind keeps going.

The wars of the future would be absolutely brutal though, no more bullets, just drop EMP bombs and frag everyone's minds.  

tsukasa_the_quiet

Angie moo
Crew

Rainbow Fatcat

13,375 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:43 pm
All I know is that something interesting or will drastically change in the year 2012. Thank you Aztec calender >:3  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:15 pm
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat
[Tsukasa567]
Thanatos Phoenix
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat

3nodding

HELLZ. YEAH.

xd xd xd

Cyber mind and body for me, something that never wears out, or when it does, can be replaced while my mind keeps going.

The wars of the future would be absolutely brutal though, no more bullets, just drop EMP bombs and frag everyone's minds.
Since everyone will get alot smarter there will be no more wars, like Joshua said in WarGames "The only winning move is not to play"
I think we´ll focus our attention on other things like colonizing other planets 3nodding  

Thanatos Phoenix

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:49 pm
Thanatos Phoenix
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat
[Tsukasa567]
Thanatos Phoenix

HELLZ. YEAH.

xd xd xd

Since everyone will get alot smarter there will be no more wars, like Joshua said in WarGames "The only winning move is not to play"
I think we´ll focus our attention on other things like colonizing other planets 3nodding
Call me a pessimist if you must, but I don't think that it will matter whether we are smarter or not, we will still have ideological differences, which will lead to disputes. Only if we were to go into some form of hive mind would we solve that problem, since then everyone would think the same thing.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:43 am
[Tsukasa567]
Thanatos Phoenix
[Tsukasa567]
bluegrass cat
[Tsukasa567]
Thanatos Phoenix

HELLZ. YEAH.

xd xd xd

Call me a pessimist if you must, but I don't think that it will matter whether we are smarter or not, we will still have ideological differences, which will lead to disputes. Only if we were to go into some form of hive mind would we solve that problem, since then everyone would think the same thing.
Hmmm maybe your right.....
And I think I know that it´s going to be about:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080215151215.htm

I hope the humans accept us post humans......  

Thanatos Phoenix

angel_half82
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:30 pm
I hope normal humans will be able to accept my AWESOMENESS once I'm able to shoot people with mind bullets!! rofl rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:53 am
angel_half82
I hope normal humans will be able to accept my AWESOMENESS once I'm able to shoot people with mind bullets!! rofl rofl

oh, lordy. here he goes again with the "mind bullets". stare

i really, truly hope that one day all of mankind is united a la star trek: the next generation.

xd I WANT A HOLODECK WITH AN EVIL LINCOLN, DAMMIT!!!  

WastelandMama
Crew

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:38 am
angel_half82
HAHA thats great xd

@Bluegrass cat: Yeah something like that would be good but Star trek..... no..... xd  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:22 am
Hey now Star Trek is the Poo.  

angel_half82
Crew

Thanatos Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:41 am
angel_half82
Hey now Star Trek is the Poo.
Well no poo but I bet I can come up with a more interesting future then flying around in space talking with aliens in english and who almost always wants to kill you behind your back... xd  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff