Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Is this really necessary? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

;_;
  D:
View Results

Luneatha

Devoted Loverboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:46 am
Some people farm crocodiles for their skin. When they are about 3 years old, the farmer will harvest his alligators for their hides and meat. The worker stands over the animal and clubs him, perhaps with 6 or 7 blows to the head to stun him. He then makes a deep incision across the neck and pulls back the skin from the body. He is left there to die, which can take as much as another 2 hours, with the alligator writhing in agony before he finally loses consciousness.

In some regions of India, villagers collect poisonous snakes to milk their venom and therefore have expertise in handling quick and dangerous animals. When caught, a nail is hammered through the neck of the snake into a tree, and then the hunter will make a small cut under the head and a long slice all the way down its stomach. He grabs the skin at the top and peels it away in one piece. The snake is left to die, which can take 2–3 days.

These kinds of things are really cruel... crying Why would people do this? crying  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:40 am
MissMunchieMonster
Have you guys seen that documentary called World in Peril, it shows different parts of the world that might be contributing to global warming. It shows that China is the biggest consumer in the world and they showed some of the local markets selling animals (endangered) as pets and as food and for medicine, like tiger p***s and paws and those things are actually illegal, but because there are so many other problems in China animals aren't the biggest thing on their priority list, it's sad. I can understand that they have maybe bigger things worry about though, but it's still so sad to me. It's not just their animals, but the people, so many are getting sick because of the severe pollution they have; It's dreadful. >_<

omg yes!!! i saw that!

what really aggravates me is this incredibly old school idea that "if its alive, you can eat it" that seems to go down in china.

oh, and the whole idea of "ancient medicine", which is FINE until it involves killing endangered animals for their penises and paws. stare

ya know, i keep seeing all these protests around the torch, and i'm like "wtf do i care about tibet? they were incredibly cruel and killed people for being non-believers even before china took over", but what i DO like is how people are also protesting for the human rights violations and animal rights violations.

i think china bit off a little more than it could chew when it agreed to host the olympics. now they're gonna have to deal with protesters, reporters, etc etc etc.

maybe some good will come of it, though!

and i'm so not watching that video...nope nope nope.

HOWEVER, i will say this: animal cruelty is totally here in america, too, and ACCEPTED.

when i was little, we always went to this place in south carolina to go deep sea fishing. when i was on the dock, i was HORRIFIED to see people catching baby sting rays, cutting deep gashes into them, and then chucking them back in the water as "live bait". i was also horrified @ people catching baby sharks, cutting them, breaking their noses so they'd swim in circles and then chucking THEM off the dock, too, to attract more fish.

stressed it made me sick to my stomach, and i remember just LOSING it on this one a*****e who thought it was funny to do all that, and then pour beer on the poor shark and watch it thrash around!

and this was done in BROAD DAYLIGHT, where there were LOTS of people around and no one besides me seemed to have a problem with it.

IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE and no one speaks up.

people need to start speaking up, yo! 3nodding  

WastelandMama
Crew

Pachelbel Canon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:30 pm
Iconised Ghost
Bikki Kobayashi V
[Tsukasa567]
angel_half82
[Tsukasa567]
I have to say, while I have no problem with skinning animals, I do think it's messed up to be doing it to live ones, besides, like Angel said, there is really no benefit to skinning them alive. confused

I've Field Dressed many many Deer and I've never once thought to myself "maybe this would be easier if this deer were alive..."
It just doesn't make any sense, if anything, it'd be more difficult to do if they were still alive since they would be kicking and moving around.
People who do that would just end up with many bites and scratches

And from a profits point of view, it doesnt make sense, you have a greater chance of damanging the fur. Are you sure this isnt an elaborate hoax? I mean the skinning alive, not the mixing of the fur and not telling people what it is, im pretty sure thats been going on for ages. It just doesnt make sense if they are doing it to make money. I say this before i have watched the video though

Right, after watching the vid though (or at least the beginning, as I like Artanus couldn't continue after the racoon) I don't understand how/why it would be a hoax..  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:35 pm
aprilness
Iconised Ghost
Bikki Kobayashi V
[Tsukasa567]
angel_half82
[Tsukasa567]
I have to say, while I have no problem with skinning animals, I do think it's messed up to be doing it to live ones, besides, like Angel said, there is really no benefit to skinning them alive. confused

I've Field Dressed many many Deer and I've never once thought to myself "maybe this would be easier if this deer were alive..."
It just doesn't make any sense, if anything, it'd be more difficult to do if they were still alive since they would be kicking and moving around.
People who do that would just end up with many bites and scratches

And from a profits point of view, it doesnt make sense, you have a greater chance of damanging the fur. Are you sure this isnt an elaborate hoax? I mean the skinning alive, not the mixing of the fur and not telling people what it is, im pretty sure thats been going on for ages. It just doesnt make sense if they are doing it to make money. I say this before i have watched the video though

Right, after watching the vid though (or at least the beginning, as I like Artanus couldn't continue after the racoon) I don't understand how/why it would be a hoax..

yo, they skin baby seals as soon as they pass out after clubbing, dead or not.

they have to club them, you see, because bullet holes would ruin the pelts. i honestly doubt they care if the thing is dead or not so long as its not moving.

aaand, to all the people who would say "but omg, surely you'd wake up if you were being skinned alive!" well, there are levels of pain your brain will protect you from. this is why people pass out in times of great distress, so no, the animal probably WOULDN'T wake up once the skinning started.

crying sucks.

ps- a lot of people also were assuming that the animal would still have claws and teeth to fight with. they probably didn't if they were raised in captivity for slaughter later.

y'all know about kfc, right? they ripped the beaks off their chickens and cut the bottom part of their feet off so they wouldn't attack each other in their over-crowded little cages. it used to be common practice until videos of it got out. mcdonald's, wendy's, etc all changed but kfc said it wasn't their problem since it was a distributor issue...in other words, since kfc PERSONALLY wasn't doing it, they weren't responsible. confused

and that's why i don't eat there anymore. chickens are completely idiotic, brainless animals, but they're STILL ANIMALS and deserve better.  

WastelandMama
Crew

Pachelbel Canon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:40 pm
Right, but if they don't sufficiently knock them out they're still kind of wriggling and fully conscious for the skinning. Like in the vid. They just threw the live coon against the ground a couple of times before beginning then hung him by his feet to skin him. He was still looking around after the job was done!

I had to stop after that.
crying  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:42 pm
aprilness
Right, but if they don't sufficiently knock them out they're still kind of wriggling and fully conscious for the skinning. Like in the vid. They just threw the live coon against the ground a couple of times before beginning then hung him by his feet to skin him. He was still looking around after the job was done!

I had to stop after that.
crying

eek

oh jesus, well, idk then.

i am so glad i didn't watch that video!

edit: i put a link to the website in my lj and told people about it! does anyone know if any american companies are buying this s**t, cause every comment i saw was mostly about austrailia...  

WastelandMama
Crew

nevercomemonday

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:50 am
I signed the petiton because I think that this is very cruel what they are doing to these poor animals. Though I'm not sure I can say whether I will never buy anything made of leather or fur ever again (not that I really buy much anyways)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:33 pm
bluegrass cat

what really aggravates me is this incredibly old school idea that "if its alive, you can eat it" that seems to go down in china.

I expect that there a fair few poor people in China, and that the if its alive eat it idea is probably a way of survival. This doesnt mean that its right to sell various animal parts to people who can afford different medicines/foods though

I watched the video, i agree its not a hoax >.< And there are definately levels of pain that your brain will protect you from, and there is also shock- if someone start to skin you alive you would probably pass out from either the pain or shock. So maybe the animals pass out and thats why they dont struggle and ruin the fur? Can animals faint?

As for some good coming from China having lots of protestors and reporters etc, im not sure...Its possible that a fair few people would just "go missing". Although getting rid of that many protesters would be problematic. But still, i probably wouldnt cause trouble in China.  

Iconised Ghost

angel_half82
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:38 pm
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat

I expect that there a fair few poor people in China, and that the if its alive eat it idea is probably a way of survival. This doesnt mean that its right to sell various animal parts to people who can afford different medicines/foods though

I watched the video, i agree its not a hoax >.< And there are definately levels of pain that your brain will protect you from, and there is also shock- if someone start to skin you alive you would probably pass out from either the pain or shock. So maybe the animals pass out and thats why they dont struggle and ruin the fur? Can animals faint?

As for some good coming from China having lots of protestors and reporters etc, im not sure...Its possible that a fair few people would just "go missing". Although getting rid of that many protesters would be problematic. But still, i probably wouldnt cause trouble in China.

Haven't you ever seen the goats that you can scare into fainting??

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg

This is actually funny though.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:47 pm
angel_half82
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat

Check this out:

eek no, i have never scared goats into fainting...

*watches video* oh my god rofl thats hillarious! The older goats just keep going when they are all stiff! rofl

Do they actually lose consciousness though? The commentator said that their muscles stiffen, but didnt mention losing consciousness  

Iconised Ghost

angel_half82
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:10 pm
Iconised Ghost
angel_half82
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat

Check this out:

eek no, i have never scared goats into fainting...

*watches video* oh my god rofl thats hillarious! The older goats just keep going when they are all stiff! rofl

Do they actually lose consciousness though? The commentator said that their muscles stiffen, but didnt mention losing consciousness

Its actually a form of epilepsy. (seizure)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:16 pm
ooo thats pretty neat. So would they still feel pain? I guess when ur having an epileptic seizure you're pretty out of it  

Iconised Ghost

angel_half82
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:27 pm
Iconised Ghost
ooo thats pretty neat. So would they still feel pain? I guess when ur having an epileptic seizure you're pretty out of it

Never had one but I've seen someone have one and they didn't remember anything in the 10 minutes it took to be over with.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:56 pm
Me neither. I guess its kinda similar to what they do with deer and cattle etc, how they give them an electric shock so that they are out of it before they slit their throats and actually kill them  

Iconised Ghost

WastelandMama
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:16 pm
Iconised Ghost
Me neither. I guess its kinda similar to what they do with deer and cattle etc, how they give them an electric shock so that they are out of it before they slit their throats and actually kill them

ayup, but animals can pass out. i've seen it happen, yo.

i was helping during foaling season, and a mare was in extreme distress. her foal had breached and she tried and tried and tried and just finally collapsed.

the vet managed to save her and the foal, thank goodness, but the mare had TOTALLY passed out from the pain and exhaustion. crying poor thing...

anything w/a nervous system and a brain should be able to pass out...i mean, once your nervous system is overloaded, your brain goes into shut down mode, ya know? cuts off all non-required functions ((and being awake is one of them, lol)).  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff