Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
*sigh* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

My first topic in this guild
  and it's not a happy one....
View Results

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:14 am
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat
cause lord knows angel was a basket-case for a long, long time.

was? mrgreen

i know that saying its part of the job isnt very helpful, but really no matter what we say its not going to give her much comfort until her husband comes back i suppose

lol, hard to imagine, right? he was actually MUCH WORSE when he first got back...

i did what i could. 3nodding

and i know nothing we can say will comfort her all that much, but saying "its part of the job" is just incredibly irritating and insulting to most service members and their families ((at least the peeps i know and that was like, half of fort riley)).

i mean, if you see a firefighter's wife who's all upset that he's gone rushing into a burning building, you wouldn't say to her "well, its part of the job!" would you? hellz no.

idk why people think its okay to say that to soldiers' spouses. confused

I dunno...I probably wouldnt say that to someone in real life, but thats probably partially because Im very unlikely to meet spouses of soldiers here, especially those who have spouses going to Iraq with the military. Its kinda just the first thing that comes to mind sweatdrop I suppose you would hear it a lot though, and hearing anything that is unhelpful multiple times will make you want to strangle the person. Why is it insulting though? I understand why it is irritating, but it wasnt a personal attack on anyone...  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:08 am
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat

was? mrgreen

i know that saying its part of the job isnt very helpful, but really no matter what we say its not going to give her much comfort until her husband comes back i suppose

lol, hard to imagine, right? he was actually MUCH WORSE when he first got back...

and i know nothing we can say will comfort her all that much, but saying "its part of the job" is just incredibly irritating and insulting to most service members and their families ((at least the peeps i know and that was like, half of fort riley)).

i mean, if you see a firefighter's wife who's all upset that he's gone rushing into a burning building, you wouldn't say to her "well, its part of the job!" would you? hellz no.

I dunno...I probably wouldnt say that to someone in real life, but thats probably partially because Im very unlikely to meet spouses of soldiers here, especially those who have spouses going to Iraq with the military. Its kinda just the first thing that comes to mind sweatdrop I suppose you would hear it a lot though, and hearing anything that is unhelpful multiple times will make you want to strangle the person. Why is it insulting though? I understand why it is irritating, but it wasnt a personal attack on anyone...

read what i said to Kitsukage:

because when you say "its part of the job" what the person hears is "stop whining, you knew this was going to happen!"

3nodding

and @ jfm: there's rude, then there's asshattery, then there's just being a douche. 3nodding ((and no, i'm not saying you're a douche, but i do kinda wonder WHY you felt the need to ONLY say to her "its part of the job"...that's just kind of like "hey! look @ me and my ~*EDGY*~ self!" confused ))

edit: oh, and before someone tells me its NOT rude to say, let me enlighten y'all like i do my little childrens @ work...

YOU don't get to decide what rude is. the person who's on the receiving end does. 3nodding its like teasing or bullying. YOU might not think its a big deal, but OH YES IT IS. sweatdrop  

WastelandMama
Crew

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:01 am
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat

was? mrgreen

because when you say "its part of the job" what the person hears is "stop whining, you knew this was going to happen!"

3nodding

and @ jfm: there's rude, then there's asshattery, then there's just being a douche. 3nodding ((and no, i'm not saying you're a douche, but i do kinda wonder WHY you felt the need to ONLY say to her "its part of the job"...that's just kind of like "hey! look @ me and my ~*EDGY*~ self!" confused ))

edit: oh, and before someone tells me its NOT rude to say, let me enlighten y'all like i do my little childrens @ work...

YOU don't get to decide what rude is. the person who's on the receiving end does. 3nodding its like teasing or bullying. YOU might not think its a big deal, but OH YES IT IS. sweatdrop

thats very true. I might not think its rude to me, then again, when my best friend said he was joining i told him he better keep a good trigger finger and dodge those flying chunks of lead.  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:38 am
jfm567
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat

was? mrgreen

3nodding

thats very true. I might not think its rude to me, then again, when my best friend said he was joining i told him he better keep a good trigger finger and dodge those flying chunks of lead.

well, see, that's different though.

if its your friend irl and you're worried and upset and that manifests itself in slightly hostile joking, that's fine.

people understand that, and i'm sure your friend is totally used to how you are...

plus, he's there IN PERSON to kick you in the nuts if he so chooses. 3nodding

its different on the internet though. people who don't REALLY know you can get all upset over stuff you don't intend for them to get upset over and all that comes of it is you look like a jerk.

and we don't want you looking like a jerk when you're not TRYING to look like a jerk. wink  

WastelandMama
Crew

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:26 pm
bluegrass cat
jfm567
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat

3nodding

if its your friend irl and you're worried and upset and that manifests itself in slightly hostile joking, that's fine.

people understand that, and i'm sure your friend is totally used to how you are...

its different on the internet though. people who don't REALLY know you can get all upset over stuff you don't intend for them to get upset over and all that comes of it is you look like a jerk.

and we don't want you looking like a jerk when you're not TRYING to look like a jerk. wink

we hostile joke alllllll the time. xD

but wait............ has pineapple even said ANYTHING yet?.... if she isnt complaining then im not a jerk yet! surprised  
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:33 pm
jfm567
bluegrass cat
jfm567
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat

3nodding

but wait............ has pineapple even said ANYTHING yet?.... if she isnt complaining then im not a jerk yet! surprised

idk, lemme check...

looks like she hasn't said anything since the first post.

however, on behalf of all military wives who've wanted to punch people for saying that, i say you are and i hereby kick you in the nuts via the internets.

xd  

WastelandMama
Crew

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:35 pm
bluegrass cat
jfm567
bluegrass cat
jfm567
bluegrass cat

3nodding

idk, lemme check...

looks like she hasn't said anything since the first post.

however, on behalf of all military wives who've wanted to punch people for saying that, i say you are and i hereby kick you in the nuts via the internets.

xd

my e-balls! D:  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:26 am
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat

was? mrgreen

well thats kinda what people mean when they say that i guess. I mean, sure its upsetting when it happens, and even when you know that its part of the job its still upsetting when/if it happens, but it is what they signed up for really. But when i said it i didnt mean "just get over it" or anything, it was meant to be supportive in a "thats fate, theres not a lot that you can do about it, its not your fault, all you can do is accept it and support them as best you can" kinda way.

Wow that sounds so harsh >.< im not a cold hearted person, really im not xp  

Iconised Ghost

Captain Chunks

Dapper Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:33 am

Aside from all the quotations,
I agree with who ever said the whole "Everything is going to be alright" phrase.
Usually, it's just all up in your head. If you think negatively, something shitteh is going to happen to you, If everything is positive, well, you get the picture.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:54 pm
Ok after my post on here I vote we let the topic die out. But anyways we got a nice, very freaking s**t your pants nice break. They decided not to send him out. They were trying to get as waiver through to send him due to the fact that we didn't have all the training required to go. So yeah we got VERY lucky with that one. But he's still in his "deployment season" until September 1st so we're not fully relaxing yet.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement, they really did help

@jfm- yes at first what you said did piss me off, I avoided replying here so I didn't say something outright rude to you. Yes it is part of the job, BUT this isn't something you really think about happening in the Air Force. My dad was in for 20 years and was never deployed.

@Bluegrass- the women of the military are celebrating for your heroic duties of pwning jfm's e-balls heart

oh and to brighten up this thread a little idea <---------who else thinks that looks like a gasping cyclops?  

pineapple07

Tipsy Prophet

7,400 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

MonsieurSponge

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:29 pm
pineapple07
Ok after my post on here I vote we let the topic die out. But anyways we got a nice, very freaking s**t your pants nice break. They decided not to send him out. They were trying to get as waiver through to send him due to the fact that we didn't have all the training required to go. So yeah we got VERY lucky with that one. But he's still in his "deployment season" until September 1st so we're not fully relaxing yet.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement, they really did help

@jfm- yes at first what you said did piss me off, I avoided replying here so I didn't say something outright rude to you. Yes it is part of the job, BUT this isn't something you really think about happening in the Air Force. My dad was in for 20 years and was never deployed.

@Bluegrass- the women of the military are celebrating for your heroic duties of pwning jfm's e-balls heart

oh and to brighten up this thread a little idea <---------who else thinks that looks like a gasping cyclops?

Not so, My uncle was in the airforce and he went to Iraq to drop bombs on them. xd He wrote the address of my uncle's gas station on the side of one.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff