Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Topic making failure Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:25 am
Only thing I can think of is using a download accelerator. I've never really looked into them, so I can't really advise you there.

The issue with compression is that different data formats will be compressed differently. This is why you can load 1MB+ images and text files in a few seconds, whereas downloading an audio file takes several minutes.

You could always switch to high speed internet?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:48 am

Satellite or pay a fortune for a tower -or- a cable or a fiber-optic line to travel from a county or two away in any direction.

Satellite, from the sound of it, costs lots and is just barly better than dial-up.

I'll wait a year. (college)

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:02 am
Metalic_Noodles

Satellite or pay a fortune for a tower -or- a cable or a fiber-optic line to travel from a county or two away in any direction.

Satellite, from the sound of it, costs lots and is just barly better than dial-up.

~Metalic_Noodles

Actually, most satellite companies give you DSL (lol irony). DSL runs over phone lines, the difference being that it uses a digital signal instead of an analog (modulated) signal, increasing the capacity 20x-100x.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:06 am
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

Actually, most satellite companies give you DSL (lol irony). DSL runs over phone lines, the difference being that it uses a digital signal instead of an analog (modulated) signal, increasing the capacity 20x-100x.

O.O

o.-

User Image

burning_eyes

User Image

HOWDOIGETHAT!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!!!!!!!!11!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111!!!!!!!

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:45 pm
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

but trevor, the loss of packets and delay is HORRIBLE for gaming. very good for downloading though i hear.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:43 pm
jfm567
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

but trevor, the loss of packets and delay is HORRIBLE for gaming. very good for downloading though i hear.

Depends on what you're playing. TF2, maybe. WOW or any other MMO, it's going to be negligible (and better than dial up either way).  

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:59 pm
Exmucane
jfm567
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

Depends on what you're playing. TF2, maybe. WOW or any other MMO, it's going to be negligible (and better than dial up either way).

true thats its better than dial-up, still the price and gaming difficulties make it less desirable.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:33 am

Oh, so it costs a lot then? Darn...

jfm, what do you mean loss of packets and delay? How could anything but 28K be worse than 56K dial-up?

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

pineapple07

Tipsy Prophet

7,400 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:11 pm
jfm567
Exmucane
jfm567
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

true thats its better than dial-up, still the price and gaming difficulties make it less desirable.

Oh god DSL is terrible with WoW, especially PVPing in BGs, I lagged so many times and next thing I knew I was in the graveyard, screaming obscenities. But now I have cable internet with MUCH faster speeds I basically fly through patch downloads. pirate  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:18 pm
pineapple07
jfm567
Exmucane
jfm567
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

Oh god DSL is terrible with WoW, especially PVPing in BGs, I lagged so many times and next thing I knew I was in the graveyard, screaming obscenities. But now I have cable internet with MUCH faster speeds I basically fly through patch downloads. pirate

Uh-Huh...
And how well does WOW play on dial-up?

stare

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:45 pm
Metalic_Noodles

jfm, what do you mean loss of packets and delay? How could anything but 28K be worse than 56K dial-up?

~Metalic_Noodles

dial-up: $10.95 a month with no extra work.

satellite internet: $99 a month for lowest service with $50 equipment charges per month. and you have to set it all up yourself, and, if its raining hard you have no internet. not to mention all around bad gaming experience.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:53 pm
jfm567
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

satellite internet: $99 a month for lowest service with $50 equipment charges per month. and you have to set it all up yourself, and, if its raining hard you have no internet. not to mention all around bad gaming experience.

holy crap, where do you live that its that expensive for satellite internet???

eek

dang!  

WastelandMama
Crew

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:56 pm
bluegrass cat
jfm567
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

eek

dang!

Rocky Point, North Carolina.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:57 pm
jfm567
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

eek screw that for a joke  

Iconised Ghost

WastelandMama
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:59 pm
jfm567
bluegrass cat
jfm567
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

eek

dang!

Rocky Point, North Carolina.

oh, well, north carolina, sure.

xd  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items