Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kisame-same

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:40 pm
I have many stratagies.

one for exsample, mean look toxic, protect  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:31 am
That one was pretty nasty back in the Gold/ Silver gen, but I don't know how effective it is now. I don't see anyone online use it anyway. Then again, with the release of D/P, we now have a move that cuts through Protect/ Detect!  

Gym Leader Allachka

Spiritual Seraph

22,050 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Fusion Master 1000

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:56 am
I believe there's actually two moves that cut through it... Feint is specifically designed for that, yeah, but I was surprised to hear that Shadow Force also hits through Protect / Detect.

However, I don't think either of those moves are used much at all. Even without those, the strategy has some glaring weaknesses...

For starters, using Mean Look to hold the opponent's pokemon in play means they get a chance to switch to a pokemon that's dangerous for your toxic staller and they get to attack on the Toxic turn. They might even send in a Status Absorber to just suck it up, or a Rest + Sleep talker to shrug it off.

Protect is also usually not enough to properly stall. You definitely need some pretty intense HP recovery for it to work, especially if they already have the before-mentioned counter.

Anyways, it's not that the strategy doesn't work time to time, it's just that in D/P it's turning out to be less effective than having powerful sweepers. (Hence why people are saying that the D/P metagame seems to be becoming more offense-oriented.)

I think a more modern attempt at this strategy, though, is to use Toxic Spikes so that a pokemon can be poisoned on the switch *and* Mean Looked or Blocked. Since the staller is probably not the same pokemon that put out the Toxic Spikes, that gives more recovery options. That strategy also has the weakness that an on-the-ground poison-type pokemon can absorb the spikes, meaning there's no need for a Rapid Spinner to counter the strategy.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:06 am
Oh, my Gira SPAMS Shadow Force. lol

Actually, the Poisoning and prevented switching MIGHT work better in a double battle situation. You can split the moves between the two.  

Gym Leader Allachka

Spiritual Seraph

22,050 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Fusion Master 1000

Evelyn598

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:57 pm
my strategy is just take type advantages. but, if I only would fight with one pokemon, I've swept people with my level 100 Blaziken. Double Kick+some Carbos before the battle+(the item that boosts your attack for one fight)+ Fist Plate = KILL. I own people with that strategy.

Let's see:
1.5x for Fighting type
+6 levels attack with items
2x Hit
1.2x for Fist Plate
2x for Weakness

Against a Rampardos with 300 defense, and the Blaziken has 365 Attack, the attack would damage somewhere between 763 or 895 damage.

I think the Rampardos is dead XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:29 pm
^^ Carbos just raises your EVs in Speed by 10. Once that number goes past 100, then the Carbos will seem to no longer work. Also, Blaziken isn't exactly known for it's speed. It's rather slow compared to most pokemon. I'd be careful raising it mainly for speed.

Also, X-Attack does not work online, if that's what you mean by "the item that boosts your attack for one fight". And if you're going for type advantages, might I recommend you go with Expert Belt over Fist Plate?  

Shadovvstar

zerochan923600

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:48 pm
I like to call my strategy "Blitzkrieg"! domokun

i choose a team based on their type, moves, and looks. elements i must have in a team are fire, water, electric, flying, ice, ground, and dark. i usualy only have five battle pkmn in my team, and i pick ones that look cool. once i have a team i usualy stick with it.

my strategy is to defeat the enemy as quickly as possible. i level my pkmn up high, make them fast, and then use only attack and special attack moves. i never waste time on power up moves or defence moves and the like. i use a lot of medicine and berries if fighting someone stronger than me. really if my opponent is stronger than me then i stand little to no chance at all.

because i keep only certain pkmn with me permanently i become pretty attached to my team. it broke my heart when i lost my ruby version. cry

whoa! did i type all that? sorry, i tend to ramble.... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:53 pm
So... Your entire team is made up of sweepers? Hoo boy...

That works quite well in the main story, but your team will be EASILY crushed by anyone that knows what they are doing... No offense, but such a team has an enormous amount of weaknesses...  

Shadovvstar

Gym Leader Allachka

Spiritual Seraph

22,050 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Fusion Master 1000
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:16 pm
Evelyn598
my strategy is just take type advantages. but, if I only would fight with one pokemon, I've swept people with my level 100 Blaziken. Double Kick+some Carbos before the battle+(the item that boosts your attack for one fight)+ Fist Plate = KILL. I own people with that strategy.

Let's see:
1.5x for Fighting type
+6 levels attack with items
2x Hit
1.2x for Fist Plate
2x for Weakness

Against a Rampardos with 300 defense, and the Blaziken has 365 Attack, the attack would damage somewhere between 763 or 895 damage.

I think the Rampardos is dead XD

Also, I have a question. Why on Earth would your Blaziken know Double Kick at level 100? How about Brick Break or Sky Uppercut?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:18 pm
XGShadowstar
So... Your entire team is made up of sweepers? Hoo boy...

That works quite well in the main story, but your team will be EASILY crushed by anyone that knows what they are doing... No offense, but such a team has an enormous amount of weaknesses...

are you talking to me? is that what the type of pkmn i use is called, sweepers? yeah, i know my weakness. i'm find battling the game, but i get my but kicked whenever i battle a real trainer. but it's ok, because i rarely ever battle real people so i have no need for a strategy for such battles. wink  

zerochan923600

kisame-same

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:13 pm
Nadian
I believe there's actually two moves that cut through it... Feint is specifically designed for that, yeah, but I was surprised to hear that Shadow Force also hits through Protect / Detect.

However, I don't think either of those moves are used much at all. Even without those, the strategy has some glaring weaknesses...

For starters, using Mean Look to hold the opponent's pokemon in play means they get a chance to switch to a pokemon that's dangerous for your toxic staller and they get to attack on the Toxic turn. They might even send in a Status Absorber to just suck it up, or a Rest + Sleep talker to shrug it off.

Protect is also usually not enough to properly stall. You definitely need some pretty intense HP recovery for it to work, especially if they already have the before-mentioned counter.

Anyways, it's not that the strategy doesn't work time to time, it's just that in D/P it's turning out to be less effective than having powerful sweepers. (Hence why people are saying that the D/P metagame seems to be becoming more offense-oriented.)

I think a more modern attempt at this strategy, though, is to use Toxic Spikes so that a pokemon can be poisoned on the switch *and* Mean Looked or Blocked. Since the staller is probably not the same pokemon that put out the Toxic Spikes, that gives more recovery options. That strategy also has the weakness that an on-the-ground poison-type pokemon can absorb the spikes, meaning there's no need for a Rapid Spinner to counter the strategy.
i use umbreon who has great def. then moonlights.

its last move is baton pass to get a replacement in with out damage since its slow  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:25 pm
Well, im the tank type fighter, so I usualy try and powerhouse my way through everything.

Unless Im lucario. I try and doge everyones move by using "me first". If its any of the moves like dig or dive, I love using it!  

Korin88

Rephy

Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:35 pm
I'm a mix.

I recently got into switching pokemon, I love my sweepers and my support and stalling pokemon are always helpful. (Go Pachirisu and Clefable)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:27 am
Nadian

Generally more fun to put Facade on a pokemon with Guts and taking a Burn on the switch (or perhaps becoming poisoned from Toxic Spikes.)

Swellow, for example, can pull off a strategy like this really well. Have it hold a Burn Orb and give it Protect. First turn, Protect, Burn Orb burns you.

From there, his Attack should be nice and high. Another bonus is he gets STAB for Facade, making the already-powerful attack dangerously so. Essentially, it'd be something like a pokemon with a power of 150 using an attack with a power of 210.

(The effective attack of an Adamant, trained Swellow would be 442 after a burn.)

My Ursaring uses that strategy. Ursaring + Guts + 130 base atk + Flame Orb + Facade + Normal STAB = ouch.

@Little_Neco-chan: Forry is my spiker. He's also the thing that prevents those Outrage-gous Scarfed Garchomps from running all over me. Also, about EVing, we have Pokerus if you want it.  

Jshin

"PPP" Peoples' Pokemon Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces