Submit

I like American and Japanese anime
  I like Japanese anime
  I like American anime
  Im just on gaia for kicks
View Results

K0m0d0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
The loony-toons remake wasn't such a horrible thing, actually. XD. I don't see why people got so worked up about it. The writing didn't suck too badly, the characters seemed alright, and the humor.... well, it was low enough for little kids to get without being crude or stupid. There were plenty of tributes to the classic loony-toons as well.

While there are a lot of dumb kid shows on cable and sattelite, I remember watching saturday morning cartoons with my little sister on broadcast television a few years ago. Even the things that they started to release later, while not exactly appealing, weren't too horrible. They dealt with slightly dark themes in an acceptable manner, and presented strong characters that were basically good role models, even if they were pretty stereotypical. (Winx club, oh god. -____-;;.)

But the real appeal in American Cartoons was in the 80s and 90s. :3. Captain Planet, Galaxy Rangers, etc. Galaxy Rangers did have that single-episode basis Jimmy was talking about, but it did follow a basic storyline. There were some very good American cartoons.... and some strange ones. Jem? o_O. Sheesh.

But then again, while we had Captain Planet, Japan had Sailor Moon. X3.

They're definitely different, but I think both have their own appeal. It's all about the unique show itself, really.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:08 pm
    Jem was awesome!!! o:

But still strange... sweatdrop But look at the Ninja Turtles! Who the heck comes up with martial arts-wielding giant turtles with names of famous artists...?!

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:17 pm
Well... TMNT was an underground comic book long before it was animated... *shrug*  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:18 pm
Sanzoskitsune
stressed American animation and cartoons are NOT called anime. Anime is a term that is limited to Japanese animation would you please stop calling American animation anime? It's really starting to get on my nerves.

Would you shut the ******** up about already?! I am seriously sick and tired of you [and others] trying to make a distinction about that term that isn't ******** there! "Anime", as a term and an art form comes directly from the English/American "Animation". It's like saying that a "Barista" and a "Bartender" are two different things!

So, seriously, Sanzo, it's just really ******** annoying. Stop bringing it up.  

124-C

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47 pm
124-C
Sanzoskitsune
stressed American animation and cartoons are NOT called anime. Anime is a term that is limited to Japanese animation would you please stop calling American animation anime? It's really starting to get on my nerves.

Would you shut the ******** up about already?! I am seriously sick and tired of you [and others] trying to make a distinction about that term that isn't ******** there! "Anime", as a term and an art form comes directly from the English/American "Animation". It's like saying that a "Barista" and a "Bartender" are two different things!

First of all, it actually comes from the FRENCH word for animation, not the English. Yeah fine its an art form, however it is more often referred to Japanese animation in particular. Usually when people call other cartoons anime its because of misconceptions they have. And I haven't really brought it up that ******** much, only when this topic comes up. Its not like I spend all my time talking about this. Does it ever occur to you that it annoys me when I see people getting it wrong? At least I'm not cursing at the people who do it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 pm
Sanzoskitsune
124-C
Sanzoskitsune

First of all, it actually comes from the FRENCH word for animation, not the English. Yeah fine its an art form, however it is more often referred to Japanese animation in particular. Usually when people call other cartoons anime its because of misconceptions they have. And I haven't really brought it up that ******** much, only when this topic comes up. Its not like I spend all my time talking about this. Does it ever occur to you that it annoys me when I see people getting it wrong? At least I'm not cursing at the people who do it.

I stand by what I said. "And for those in the mid-west, sorry we said "********" so much."  

124-C

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:30 am
    I cannot help but laugh at the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang reference...I try. But I fail.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:28 pm
Just in terms of general connotation, I wouldn't consider American animation "Anime." I have always seen it as the more correct, or at least, more socially acceptable term for "Japanimation."

Later, it also turned into a general word for "that style" of art, even UN-animated, despite it's origins. Covering Manga and such.

Anyway, that's what it has seemed like in education, for good or ill. confused

Despite being on Gaia, I am actually NOT a fan. Though, my Anime adoring friends would probably claim, I probably just haven't found the right show. wink

I DO like animation. Both kids cartoon (older stuff... not much NOW as it seems new stuff is crap) shows, and some older short films, and yes, Disney and Pixar and Dreamworks... except for a few. But yeah. That's my imput. mrgreen  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:31 pm
wakusei:
    But look at the Ninja Turtles! Who the heck comes up with martial arts-wielding giant turtles with names of famous artists...?!

TMNT is a true story! Chuck Norris ate four baby turtles, and when he crapped them out, they were six feet tall, spoke English and had a complete knowledge of karate. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:52 am
xxstephasaurusxxrexxx
TMNT is a true story! Chuck Norris ate four baby turtles, and when he crapped them out, they were six feet tall, spoke English and had a complete knowledge of karate. 3nodding

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten...? whee

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Beware Of camaro2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:57 pm
I like Naruto!!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:58 pm
Scratch that. I LOVE NARUTO!!! xd  

Beware Of camaro2010

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:59 pm
I like Naruto too, but they do stupid and pointless things. Like killing people who are cool  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:17 pm
ASUMA!!! crying  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:21 pm
wakusei
    But still strange... sweatdrop But look at the Ninja Turtles! Who the heck comes up with martial arts-wielding giant turtles with names of famous artists...?!

And the villain was named Shredder. Who better to fight martial "artists" than one who could rip them and their work apart?

El oh el.

And Master Splinter talked too much. He needs stop practicing karate and open up a can of ST-FU.

;D  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces