Does this make any sense?
  Yes
  No
  Cookies!
View Results

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:26 pm
User Image

Well the spaceship/flower thing, again, just isn't possible unless you have delusional psychosis.

An apple will always be an apple no matter what. You can't look at an apple and see an orange and think it's an apple. However colours are harder to deal with because there is no way to define a colour other than it's wavelength, and not everyone has the tools needed to measure that wavelength.
User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:30 pm

I am an old ATG member =]

I'm so awesome that my eyes show me the colours in front of me.
I pondered the same question today and came to the conclusion that as long as we understand that a colour is the same colour then it doesn't matter the conception of the colour.

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
I am not a Mod but I am a regular and will always answer if you ask =]

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Elemental_Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:47 pm
The fact we can universally agree on a name and reference pretty much shows we see the colors at least generally the same. In the event of colorblind people, it can get pretty interesting asking them how they discern the world and how they have to learn based on a much smaller spectrum of variance.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:04 pm
The answer to your question is that it is both possible and impossible, depending upon which side of the argument you would approach. If the question is "can blue be green" the answer is a resounding no as has already been addressed earlier. This is so because green and blue are on separate wavelengths and, unless the object is moving at a rate fast enough to change said wavelength it will always be the same.

On the other hand, if the question is simply "can he perceive green whereas I perceive blue" the answer is yes for a myriad of reasons. One could be some form of ocular degeneration or disorder which would effect the way in which one perceives light, such as colorblindness. It could also be a neurological condition in which the optic nerve, or any other nerve for that matter, doesn't transmit the proper data. And it could still just as easily be any number of other things causing it.

In summation, blue is blue and green is green, but I can still look at blue and see green.  

I lost my notebook

MiroIsBored

Adorable Cleric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:13 am
I also agree that the fact that there are universal names for colors shows to some extent that we are seeing the same thing, plus how colors are are different wavelengths. However, it is possible to sometimes perceive certain colors as something other than they really are. I have experienced this a few times, though I am not color-blind sweatdrop It makes me wonder if I am seeing it improperly or the person that disagrees with me is seeing it improperly. Without a means to measure the wavelength, I'll never know gonk

One specific instance that I remember is when I was clearly seeing an onion as green whereas my husband was seeing it as purple. When I had a chance to view it in sunlight, I found that it was in fact purple, but it was clearly green to me in dimmer lighting gonk Another time I was sure some object (I don't remember what it was) had a bright orange color, but my dad and brother said it was yellow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:39 pm
Ok, maybe a person that is color-blind then their perception is wrong. Then what if you have a coin that is like those ones where if you move up and down that the perception changes every time. Then what? You would have two people looking at the same coin but seeing different things.  

Beware Of camaro2010

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:46 pm
User Image

Do you have a pic of said coin? I don't know what coin you're talking about so I can't help yet.
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:13 pm
What you see and what I see (color wise) are in essence the same thing, it just may be called something different. Unless someone is color blind in which case they see it as a different color.  

king bing bing

Wealthy Businessman

Phaeton 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 am
fattycat3

Question: When I look at something that's "blue", do I see the same color you do when you see "blue"?

Well according to the electromagnetic spectrum, there are universally known colors. If they don't appear the right way to you, something is wrong with your eyes. If you're asking what exactly it looks like to me vs what it looks like to you, there's no way to know. I can only describe blue so many ways, you can only perceive blue so many ways. It's impossible to escape your own consciousness and perception and actually see what someone else might see.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:50 am
Phaeton 2
fattycat3

Question: When I look at something that's "blue", do I see the same color you do when you see "blue"?

Well according to the electromagnetic spectrum, there are universally known colors. If they don't appear the right way to you, something is wrong with your eyes. If you're asking what exactly it looks like to me vs what it looks like to you, there's no way to know. I can only describe blue so many ways, you can only perceive blue so many ways. It's impossible to escape your own consciousness and perception and actually see what someone else might see.

That's true, I forgot that colors are made up of specific wave lengths. In which case if you can't see a certain color its because your eyes aren't able to pick that particular wave length. Good call sir.  

king bing bing

Wealthy Businessman

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:55 am
king bing bing
Phaeton 2
fattycat3

That's true, I forgot that colors are made up of specific wave lengths. In which case if you can't see a certain color its because your eyes aren't able to pick that particular wave length. Good call sir.

Once more to say it agian. This is NOT about the wavelengths and s**t. The question deals solely with perception of color. It's a bad call because it doesn't adress the question merly dodges it completely.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:21 pm
Saverio C.
king bing bing
Phaeton 2
fattycat3

Once more to say it agian. This is NOT about the wavelengths and s**t. The question deals solely with perception of color. It's a bad call because it doesn't adress the question merly dodges it completely.

Apparently you didn't read carefully enough:

is a color that is universally (different languages aside) known as "blue"

It asks for a universal way of identifying blue. Perception is by NO MEANS universal, how ever the wave lengths that make blue are indisputable no matter where you are or where you're from. It may be called by a different name but its state of being remains constant.  

king bing bing

Wealthy Businessman

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:09 pm
king bing bing

Apparently you didn't read carefully enough:

is a color that is universally (different languages aside) known as "blue"

It asks for a universal way of identifying blue. Perception is by NO MEANS universal, how ever the wave lengths that make blue are indisputable no matter where you are or where you're from. It may be called by a different name but its state of being remains constant.

And you sir didn't read the clarification we made as a group on the first page, nor are you taking into consideration what is the real question here.

The question here isn't about blue, that is an example he provided. Obviously a bad one as it is confusing people like hell for some reason. To clarify his question replace the colors with a flower and a spaceship.

You all are taking the question too literally and as such are not answering the question. Use some imagination.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:32 pm
You're badgering each other over something my student said. To put it simply you can't really answer that question. You could see green in my eyes. I'll look in the mirror and see green in my eyes. We agree they're green.

If I see a flower, and you see a spaceship, yes there's a difference of perception there. A spaceship could look like a flower (but for what purpose...) and vice versa but the best example I can understand of this is in painting.

Picasso once said "Who sees the face correctly, the Photographer, the Mirror, or the Painter?" There you have a stated three different points of view. Points of view unlikely to interact but all of whom see some sort of truth in what they view.

Another quote: "If there were only one truth, you couldn't paint a hundred canvases on the same theme."

In short, people never come truly to the same conclusions on anything. I don't think the flower & spaceship idea was any clearer to be honest.  

Oddplume

Beware Of camaro2010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:05 pm
God-Raped-Me
User Image

Do you have a pic of said coin? I don't know what coin you're talking about so I can't help yet.
User Image

No but it can be something other than a coin. For instance, if you have one of those cards that change picture if you rotate it up or down it works just like the coin.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff