Which not Witch... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Veddhartha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:53 am
Lil Brat
I can usually tell when English is someone's second or third language... not so much as there may be misspelled words, but in the arrangement of the words in the sentence. This is especially true with Spanish or Latin languages... verbs and nouns are opposite of the way English sentences are constructed.

Am I obvious non-English speaker? biggrin

Just for the conversation, that is something that I have also noted. Linguistic ear (as it can be called) do develop over a time despite differences in grammars. I do form sentences in very different way when I speak my native language, I just turn the switch from Finnish to English manner of speaking as best I can.

And of course, age and what kind of teaching person has had for the language means a lot. Correct if I speak nonsense, but I think that level of education can vary great deal between different countries. I wouldn't expect French person to speak proper English. They seem to be very proud of their own language and not very fond of using any other.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:37 am
I worked at a job with a girl that talked for an example like this: So dat be duh case, I be ofta the sto' fo da fif time dis week to get me sum food fo da weekin" and the sad thing was when she left post-it notes on the computer for my manager her messages said it in that kind of way and spelling!It drove my manager crazy.She said that she will not get any days off or any kind of request if she does not properly ask on paper in a professional and respectful manner.  

Creepy Clown Town

Mikiba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:50 pm
People just don't use correct grammar anymore. They're either too lazy or just don't care enough. Eventually it'll come back to bite them in the a**. I hate when people get 'there' and 'they're' mixed up. I mean come on...they're = they ARE. =/  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 pm
I hate the way I tell them something is LITERATE, and they spell and punctuate however they want.  

Invisible Nightengale

Suede_Shoes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:21 pm
I try using chat speak in instant messengers because I'm a slow typist, but I revert back to a somewhat educated grammar in anything else. I can understand the frustration, not only because it is annoying, but also because you have to sit there and try to decipher the gibberish.

All this literary talk reminds me of a billboard that posed the question, "Illiterate? Call 1-800. . ."  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:35 pm
3nodding  

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items