View Results

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:15 am
This has information that explains a few things. it's not very acurate, but whatever.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:16 am
Yeah, I'm bad about that. But seriously, I really don't know much about myths, other than the fact that most of them make absolutely no sense. I had a friend of mine who claimed to be a vampire, until I beat the s**t out of him for it.

I can only assume that the whole vampire myth revolves around the discovery of the Vampire bat, and the rest just followed suite.  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:20 am
User Image

What a great rebuttle. You totally just won.

/sarcasm

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Oh wait, you don't believe me that they really do exist. Maybe you should grow up a little and learn to look into what people say instead of blowing it off with a site that has nothing to do with anything. I'm sorry that your 6 years of research led you to a wrong conclusion but such is the way of a researcher. Learn to deal with it.

Now how about you actually try to come up with something to defend what you said.
User Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:20 am
See the link. I'm jsut saying that some people really do thikn they're part animal. Most of them are absolutly insane, but yeah.  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:22 am
Blu, you can't honestly be surprised people are disagreeing with your first post when you say things like...
Blu
...it makes sense, what with all the proof, that Dragons did at one time or another exist.

What makes sense is that someone would step up to contradict you seeing as how it has not been proven that these mythological creatures ever existed.
If you want to make these claims, you should expect people to dispute your "facts" and your examples of "proof".  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:23 am
While I absolutely love mythology I have to say that myths are just that. Myths. They are the stories our ancestors came up with to explain what was then unexplainable. They are the result of ignorance and fear of the unknown.

[And semi-related, I remember a few years back there was a program on Animal Planet that was like a documentary-ish thing on the 'history' of dragons. No this was not meant to be taken seriously, it was more of a 'what-if' kind of thing. It was actually pretty interesting too 3nodding ]

And yeah. >.>

EDIT: Re: Dreams- Um....they could just be because you've been thinking about mythological creatures waaaaay too much also >.>
[/useless edit]

invisible-weirdo

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:28 am
Some of them are, yes, but some of them have to be based on a real experiance. Nto everyone has a good imagination.

I actually jsut saw the program a few weeks ago. Very interesting.

Yeha, I probably am. sweatdrop Too many fantasy books, I guess.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:30 am
User Image

I was talking about people who really would be considered to be vampires or werewolves, and here's my proof.

werewolves

Vampires

Rare, but they exist and this is why people believed in these creatures.
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:32 am
Blu
Some of them are, yes, but some of them have to be based on a real experiance. Nto everyone has a good imagination.

...are you claiming that some myths must be real because not everyone is imaginative? ....really?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:35 am
....You're giving the human race far too little credit in the imagination department.
What I meant is that our ancestors came across things they had no way of understanding. When the ancient greeks saw the sun travel across the sky during the day, they didn't know it was because the Earth rotates. How could they? So to explain this, they said that a god was up there with his flying chariot, lugging the sun across the sky every day.

Now for dragons. I read somewhere a looooong time ago that there is a possibility that the image of the European dragon came from someone seeing a Crocodile for the first time in their life (cuz...there's no crocodiles in the heart of Europe >.>). They had no clue what it was, so of course the first thing they think is 'Ohmygod it's a monster'. They go back home and start telling all their friends about the horrid scaled being. Those friends tell their friends and so on and so forth. Eventually, the story gets skewed (like when you play Telephone) until the crocodile has sprouted wings and can breathe fire. Doesn't mean that there are actually fire-breathing, winged creatures running around Europe. =/

invisible-weirdo

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:40 am
Invis- *shrugs* Good explanation.

Ala- you'd be surprised how many unimaginative people I've met.

GRM- I knew about the Hypertrichosis, but I didn't knwo aoubt hte vampire thing. I do know that diabetes let untreated can lead ot Vampire like symptoms: pael skin, sensitivity to light, ravenous hunger, comatic states leading to the belief of sleeping in the daytime, etc. THe Vampire thing is very interesting, how do you spell it again?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:40 am
User Image

People have this this emotion called fear. They don't need to have a good imagination.

Edit: Porphyria, the vamipres disease. Drinking blood, for the iron, helps them though. Just another tidbit for the tale.
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:43 am
It doesn't take imagination to pass on a story someone else told you...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am
Indeed. You don't need a good imagination to come up with this kind of stuff. You just need fear of the unknown. Like how small kids are afraid of the boogeyman or the 'monster in the closet/under the bed.' There's obviously nothing there, but they don't know that. All they know is that that area is dark and so they have no idea what's lurking in there. Their brain, in an effort to fill in the blanks, makes up those monsters. Same thing with our ancestors >.>  

invisible-weirdo

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49 am
GRM- Hmm, interesting. THank you...

Ala- I guess I knwo too many idiots. sweatdrop

invis-the hippocampus part of our brain uses different hormones to give us Deja Vu. I f we take that int oocnsideration, couldn't a child recreate what another child told it and use it to strike fear into itself subconsciously?  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff