4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Your Paranoid >.< (pollwhore)
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

LadiSilverfox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:41 pm
Honestly Kals, no matter how strong or weak my password is...the person isn't guessing it. They are going to password recovery and imputing my information, birthday, zipcode etc and than resetting my password to something they think it might be likely to be or if they find any emails that have a password listed using that to open other accounts. Or as I said before the more devious way of sending the password reminder/reset to another already compromised account. Or were able to answer my security questions to get in to the account (of those I can I have now changed to much much harder).

These is/are a person/people that knew me very personally and had such information about me.

Ladi Quiz - heart - Ladi Johari - heart - Ladi Nohari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:44 pm
Like I said, that's not hacking.

I generally use a false birthdate, a postal code where I no longer live, and usually a fake name when signing up for accounts. I also have no less than eight email addresses, all of which have different passwords, and use them all for registering for things so that if one is somehow compromised, I don't lose my entire online life. I don't think even my own mother could get into any of my email accounts except for perhaps my very first yahoo account that I set up with her sitting right beside me in 1996.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

LadiSilverfox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:47 pm
Wow Kals that is pretty impressive. The fort knox of online security set ups.

Ladi Quiz - heart - Ladi Johari - heart - Ladi Nohari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:54 pm
Well, before people start thinking I'm a hacker, I'm going to point out I don't live in Canada, nor do I use Charter. That s**t was done once I moved out of Worcester. We have Comcast here. Way better!

Also, I have nothing to gain from hacking you. Your drama doesn't interest me. But I find it kind of ironic, considering the whole Jonsey/Jesy incident in 2005. Karma's a b***h.

Seriously, there's no need to leave Gaia, just make a new account and use new passwords. Oh, and you might consider getting a new email account.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:56 pm
Okay, according to my mom there's a way to find out the address of the ISP legally, but there's no way to be sure who exactly did what. So, technically, it's impossible to get a name for you from the ISP. I'm sorry. crying I failed you.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:57 pm
Yeah a fresh start might be called for.

And if anyone wants my info/accounts badly enough to actually hack them, they're welcome to do so... lol, I don't have anything worth hacking though.

My online paranoia has been known to backfire on me though -- I recently got locked out of one of my gmail accounts because I forgot my password and my alt email was... my email from the university at which I am no longer registered! Oops!  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

palnoki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:23 am
I just want to clear my name here, I know I promised not to post anymore but I just saw this. That isn't my ip number and I can prove it, I made a post in dark ages forum because that's thenly place I remember that your still a mod of that logs ip's. here's the link to my post

http://ladysilverfox.proboards26.com/index.cgi?board=Trader&action=display&thread=62

So more then likely this is someone else you know that is doing this but not amanda or I. Or it could just be a random hack too, or a proxy hack from somewhere else. either way it's not my ip and I have no reason to hack you, maybe someone else has a concern or issue they want to know from you.

Like the others said, I suggest a fresh start, junk values for your info, just remember your new passwords, and don't post personal info anywhere. hope that helps  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:11 pm
My brother used to work for charter... If he still did, chances are that I could have given you the Full name, e-mail, home address, phone number, and possibly credit card number of the person. Alas, he no longer does so I'm useless here. There ARE ways to find out who's IP that is, but it can be very complicated and stressful. Also, I'd have to find them again.

Oh yeah, and I have Charter >_> It's constantly going out on me and giving me a hard time though ;_;  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:04 am
When it comes to IP Geolocation, it's possible to find where the ISP is operating. It's much harder to find out the location of a particular client of an ISP, though I think it's much easier to do that with a wireless connection (the whole Tower Triangulation thing and whatnot). However, it's a very good way to guess about where a certain client might live by figuring out where the closest ISP servers are. Tools like TOR (I use this whenever I feel the need to have location privacy that's difficult for man-in-the-middle attacks by Mallory) are helpful for hiding one's actual location.

People here know that I'm a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to information privacy. However, I follow the rule that I only reveal information that I want to reveal and I always make the assumption that that information -- even when entrusted to a group of people, like this guild (I probably said so much about me here) -- will most likely leak out somehow. I'm also a user of OpenID, and also a light supporter of it, but I take advantage of the multiple profiles so I can choose what personal information OpenID sites look up.

When it comes to data and information I don't ever want people to know, I'd like to think it'll take essentially a rubber hose attack to get me to reveal anything. I keep my passwords in a database locked by something I physically have and something I know, my ultraportables and external hard disks have enciphered areas also requiring something I physically have and something I know, very important things (I do this sometimes for important digital documents I receive that I want to keep) are enciphered and signed by me to ensure that it can't be read and can't be tampered easily, and I have some other procedures. Even though it all sounds secure, there's one gigantic weak point in it. That can be fixed in the future, though.

Erm... that aside... a good way of making passwords that I need to remember (that I don't want to use the database for) is to choose five or six words out of a hat and change the letters of some of them. Here's an example:

Mountain Slots Sanitorium Utility Poncho
M0un7&1n Sl07s S&n170r1um U71l17y P0nch0

The bottom one, with the changes, would be considered a strong password. Some things one can do, then, is simply rearrange or remove words depending on severity of the situation. It's a good system that only requres you to remember which words you used and the rules you used. However, it's sometimes hard to remember which and what.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:41 pm
Wow.. I swear I'll never understand how you all know so much about computers and the Internet... X_X Pisces is ignorant.

Please don't leave us, Ladi. Whatever it takes. crying  

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500

o_OEverlastingStarO_o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:32 pm
ahhhh!!!!! stare  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2