Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 am
I was born as the saying goes "with an old head on young shoulders"
Relatively speaking I've always been a very mature person, but that has a lot to do with my personality. I have always listened carefully to things and taken a lot of time to think things over before making decisions, taking action, or taking a stand. But I'm certainly still childish in many many ways.

I've always felt and still have that scene of being out of place among people who are much more immature than I am and yet think they are very mature.
Its like a paradox. I see people who seem so confident in their maturity and yet all they do are things I would be embraced to be seen doing. The worst are the people who run at the mouth with out realizing that they make no sense and get defensive and angry when you point out their flaws.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:48 am
User Image
I think people are missing the entire point of the post.

This is not bout how "mature" you may or may not have been or are.

I am making the claim that it is physically impossible for someone who does not have a full brain to properly examine and vocalize opinions based on life experience.

They are lacking, most literally, in brain power.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

God-The-RapistV2.0

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:55 am
Oh totally. I learned in my college psych class that there's a whole part of the brain that allows a person to rationally understand that just because you feel bad on a particular day, it doesn't mean you'll feel bad forever. That part of the brain doesn't fully mature untill you're somewhere between 20-30. Until that part of your brain is fully matured, it's much more diffcult to understand something before you've experienced it.

xd About once every few years, I think about how I acted and whatnot in previous years and I always think, "Man...I can't believe I thought I was an adult back then." But I think it's natural to feel that way too. Especially when we're teenagers, we want to be more independent and to be taken more seriously. We want our opinions to be as valid as anyone else's.

I agree that it takes a while before a person is truly an "adult" but I think it's also natural and ok for a teen/20something to try and act more like an adult even when they're not fully mature. Hopefully they'll be able to look back on different phases of their life and reflect on how much they've learned. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:01 pm
Teenagers get a pretty raw deal. Sure there are loads of thickies, but you just have to read through the Darwin Awards to see that age is no boundary to ones potential for stupidity. I understand that you have found this seemingly incontrovertible proof that teenagers cannot be mature, and I accept that they generally have a lot of growing to do, but most teenagers I know and have met are pretty competent and mature individuals.

Still, theres no arguing that 20-30 year olds are more mature on average than 13-19 year olds razz  

Zombie1429

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:37 pm
Wait...I'm supposed to be an adult now? ******** that.

Adulthood is apparently just the chronological age at when your brain finishes construction of itself...that, and the inability to have an imagination. I still have an active imagination and imaginary adventures (gotta do something during those commutes), therefore I must still be a child, because the rational part of my brain has yet to tell me such things are wrong. So maybe that rational part of my brain isn't fully developed yet despite my age...in your face, adulthood!

Yeah, OK, maybe it doesn't quite work that way. I just know how to turn of that whiny rational side that thinks I should be more boring and fit in with the other acceptable adults. Why? Because those people are boring and lifeless and I refuse to become that. Children are so much more interesting.

So, if I turn off that inane rational part of my brain, can I please be a child again? I mean I still don't look like I've reached college age yet, so I clearly still can play the part. Please???

EDIT: Yes, even having a fully mature brain hardly qualifies one as being rational, intelligent, and/or able to function as a part of society. Nor does having a brain that is still growing reduce one to levels of utter incompetence, deviance, and/or stupidity. I have known plenty of teenagers who have a far better grasp on life and the world around them than most adults, and plenty of adults who are down right inane and useless when it comes to functioning as a self sufficient individual.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:13 pm
hi... i'm bored.. i'm leaving this popsicle stand!!!!!!!!  

Noodle-67

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:22 pm
Noodle-67
User Image

Anecdotal evidence is fallible but it's always nice to have first hand experience of what you're talking about.

Right?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:00 pm
Yep. And it's usually funny when a stereotype is proven correct as well. But that's not relevant, so never mind.
I may just be pessimistic, but I get the feeling that somehow you're looking down at a number of us when I read the first post.
Anyway... as to the "whole brain" thing you said earlier? We've had "whole brains" since birth, but through key experiences we unlock different functions of that "whole brain." For example, the first time we learned that fire is not something to touch unlocked a portion of rational thought that had been heretofore unused and hidden. There are always going to be exceptions to the "proper" development of the human mind, and we have no control over that.
I think I'm going off on a tangent, so I guess I'll stop here...  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:13 pm
Noodle-67

User Image

Really... No... really? I just can't even...

Stay the ******** out.

ANYWHO, back on topic. The point is not whether you think like an adult or are "mature" like one, but if you can look upon your experiences in life and understanding why one thing had to happen over another.

Like a teen may get upset when their parents say "You're not hanging around with 'so-and-so'". The child is upset do because they cannot understand why their parents are telling them who they can and cannot hang around with. Years later, when they finally reach the stage of being able to look back and see what so-and-so is like they'll finally understand why their parents said what they did however many years ago.

Much like when you look back at all the "popular kids" and see that being popular was actually a bad thing. These people never grew up and are still seeking attention from who ever they can. I know when I was little I wanted to be one of the "cool" kids so badly, but now that I see what they are like, I'm glad I never was.

@Everain: No, GTR just wanted to make a post.
User Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:23 pm
When you make a point us kids will argue us down with our inferior logic and lesser experience. God I hope my brain never "develops" to adult status so I never get so god damned condescending.

So Mr. I'm-better-because-I'm-older-and-therefor-smarter what is your point? That kids cannot argue on the same level as an adult, or are you just ranting. I hope it's not the latter or that is quite childish of you.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:25 pm
User Image

Wow, someone completely missed what was said.

This wasn't a rant, this was a post about brain development. That's all.
User Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:26 pm
And now that the ATG's Professional Troll has entered the fray, what will happen next?  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:30 pm
Erverain
And now that the ATG's Professional Troll has entered the fray, what will happen next?
User Image

I'm ignoring him until he has an actual argument.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:30 pm
Ah, the only weakness of a troll! Well played.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:33 pm
You mean the point that your entire post is condescending and it's implication are completely incorrect on a realistic level.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff