Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Will you teach your kids about sex? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:03 pm
User Image

Questions about sexual things come up very early. Lydia is asking all sorts of questions about anatomy. We don't lie or make up words, and we keep it simple enough for her to understand right now. We also tell her that her areas are for her to touch and she isn't to touch others. When she turns 5 I'm sure we'll graduate to mommy's and daddy's "touch/have sex" because they love each other. Then when she's older we will continue to tell her more. This will of course apply to Guin and Dante as well.

This is what I feel is best for my children. My parents never sat down with me, but they never didn't tell me about stuff... well my dad never talked to me about it, but my mom did. I know they haven't said anything to my sister about it so I had to initiate that conversation. My siblings really knew NOTHING about sex. I can't remember what was said but it was a** backwards, and my mom told me not to worry about it.... I corrected them after.

I think it's very important to tell children that sex isn't just some act like so many people think it is. When you do it for the first time, it's literally life changing, Your mind changes your thoughts and ideas change, everything changes. I also believe that we should tell the children that you should have sex with a person you care about and if you truly don't feel ready DON'T ******** DO IT! I don't think people put enough stress on that anymore.

That's all I can think of right now.
User Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:03 pm
You're exactly right Sanzo. And let's face it. The talk is just as embarrassing for parents as it would be for the kid. I can understand parents leaving it to the schools to teach the rights and wrongs.

I was probably about 15 when my mothers gave me a talk. It basically only consisted of. "Make sure you wear a condom" xd that was it.  

Surazal Dloc

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:04 pm
Sanzoskitsune
That was freakin awesome Laz xd I highly approve of that video.

Anyway, my problem with the mentality of "don't tell them about it and they'll never do it" is that well.. they WILL find out about it and get wrong information. If it really was that simple then well it would be an okay approach to take but kids do always find out about sex. I dunno, that approach always seems kind of... misguided, naive and obviously not fully thought out.

That approach only ever works if the kid lives in a bubble >.>  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:21 pm
I remember when my mom first tried to talk about sex with me, she wouldn't stop laughing! It made it awkward.  

mellee115

Sparkly Star

11,300 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50

Phaeton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:15 pm
I was given the gist of it at school. Well actually I pretty much figured it out thanks to Television. My parents never even brought it up. Neither did I I guess...

Well, I'm not having children so It's of little concern to me.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:47 pm
I was taught about sex in chunks.

I was given the bare basics like how a baby was created when I was six. Then over years I was given a bit more details, like about periods and such as I got older, like about ten. My parents were up front with me and answered my questions. But they made the leap first almost everytime, or talked to me as soon as my curiousity had me asking questions.

They even answered questions about the unpleasent parts, like the first time around and even rape. Plus my father taught me the nitty gritty things on how to do damage in case a guy would not take the answer "no". *coughes then grins* Kind of kept most of my boyfriends in line when they found out all of what he taught me in that.

Oh and they brought out the medical book as well for me to see what and where things go. "Insert tab A into slot B" as that has been known to be joked about. My father did also let me see the Playboy mags so I had an idea of what the attraction about sex was.

So I plan to at least repeat what my parents had done for me for my kids so that by the time when schools start "The Talk" themselves, my kids have a jump start on a good portion of it. I know they'll be embaressed about "old Mom" talking about sex to them, but dang it, I would rather they had a clue instead of getting information from school buddies and finding themselves hurt and embaressed.

Then again....that's just me..  

LishaKitty

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:06 am
Hmm...I learned through health class. I'm usually pretty shy about that subject, especially when I was a kid and barely knew anything. My mom did explain to me about getting my period. But...I dunno, she read a book to me, which kind of made me feel like a little kid, and for some reason it made me nervous.

Though as I got older, certain situations have come up, and I've never felt like I couldn't talk to my mother about it.

As for me...well if I ever did have kids then I'd want to try and have a convorsation about it before they went to a health class.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 am

@Kyla: Gotta love health class. At school, our head nurse woman came by and did her little presentation on STDs (STIs) and holy cow, was it graphic. It was absolutely disgusting and had a lot of us thinking about sex. After that, I let my parents know that should I ever want to have sex, that I would get myself and whomever I want to become active with checked or at least to have some sort of physical examination.

Wow, late response for me! Sorry. Anywho, my health class teacher was just way too..."cheery" about sex ed. I remember she started one class by saying (in a super overly perky voice) "Ok boys and girls! biggrin Today we're going to split into groups and make models of the male and female reproductive systems using crafting materials! biggrin biggrin biggrin "
xd We had to take peices of poster board and glue cardboard tubes, pipe cleaners, and other random stuff together to depict reproductive organs.  

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

flavored pencils

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:55 am
that'd be extremely awkward to teach your kid about sex. 0_o  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:56 am
flavored pencils
So they should just find out on their own and make huge mistakes? Like getting pregnant when they're still a teenager? Or getting some kind of STD? I'd rather have to deal with an awkward conversation.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Red Glacier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:59 am
Sanzoskitsune
flavored pencils
So they should just find out on their own and make huge mistakes? Like getting pregnant when they're still a teenager? Or getting some kind of STD? I'd rather have to deal with an awkward conversation.
Hey thats what my parents do and look at me :3  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:00 pm
Viral C
Sanzoskitsune
flavored pencils
Hey thats what my parents do and look at me :3
Well yes but you're special m'dearest Viral. You don't fall into the general populace of idiot teenagers.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:02 pm
*Thanks God she's not an idiot teenager.* xd  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:05 pm
Sanzoskitsune
I will probably take my parents approach to the sex talk. Sit my child down when they're about 12, tell them about the mechanics of sex, tell them all I know about safe sex and remind them that if they wish to have sex they can, as long as they come to me first so we can have a long discussion to see if they are ready.... Funny enough that has kept me a virgin for the last 11 years xd

LAWL. It's the structure.  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Blade_With_A_Name_On_It

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:59 pm
if i have kids, i will. i think it's really important. so much so, that if i have any family that's having trouble explaining to their children, i will offer help.

but, as it is, i think kids are over-sized paracites and they irk me. meaning, i probably won't have any kids.

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff