Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Words, People Don't Know What They Mean! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Agent_of_Misfortune

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:27 pm
i can usually live with peoples grammatical errors... hell im not perfect myself... what i CANNOT STAND is when people use text abbreviations in actual VERBAL CONVERSATION!

these people should be thrown off the nearest cliff by a trusted friend or family member.... Remember! only you can stop the "OMG-LULZ-ROFLMAO"  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:21 pm
I don't have any words that particularly bug me when they're misused. I get more annoyed when people intentionally misspell words online. That bugs the hell out of me ><  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:02 am
Eh, something this minor is something I tend to ignore; I can understand the connotation that the person was going for (although it was the wrong usage of the term). Alack, though, there really isn't a word to celebrate something that's monthly when it comes to relationships.

Also, unfortunately, many young relationships (in my experience) never last longer than a year. But I digress.

"Monthly Celebration" isn't really a proper term to use for the connotation they want from "Anniversary" , and saying "Happy 9-Months-of-Being-Together" is a bit too long-winded. Mensiversary (Mensi == Month) could be used, but, alack, nobody is really taught that word, and it really isn't used often enough for it to become part of anyone's cultural lexicon.

Sometimes words just don't exist for what people describe, so they grab the closest thing. *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:28 am
Here's a good one: Gay.

In the dictionary, it's meaning is happy. Whenever someone says, "Oh, he's just gay." Guys get so uptight about it. The expression doesn't mean they are a homosexual, it just means they are happy.

I get so irritated with that... i swear, some people need to grow up and know what some words mean. GET AN EDUCATION! stressed

XxDarkMalicexX

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:25 am
User Image
No, Gay means being attracted to the same sex.

gay (g)
adj. gay·er, gay·est
1. Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.

First ******** Definition.

The fact that it ALSO means to be merry does not change this. Maybe you should get an education.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: Trish the Stalker

"What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me." - Rorschach

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:33 am
XxDarkMalicexX
Here's a good one: Gay.

In the dictionary, it's meaning is happy. Whenever someone says, "Oh, he's just gay." Guys get so uptight about it. The expression doesn't mean they are a homosexual, it just means they are happy.

I get so irritated with that... i swear, some people need to grow up and know what some words mean. GET AN EDUCATION! stressed

To add to what GTR said, when someone says, "He's gay" or "He looks gay", (unless you're reading a text from a different time period) it's pretty much a given that they mean "homosexual".

A Gay-Straight Alliance isn't a club for happy and linear people, you know? blaugh

If someone says, "Man, that guy looks gay", I can understand why someone would be irritated. No one likes being judged on their appearance, and there's still a lot of stigma attached to being gay. It's one thing if you're publicly "out", but if you're not even gay, it's got to be worse.

The other meaning is still there (as GTR said), it's just not used to the same degree.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:48 pm
User Image

HANDICAPABLE

NO! <********... NO!

You're mother ******** HANDICAPPED! You can't use your legs? Oh then you're not ******** capable of walking now are you ********? No arms, well you're not ******** CAPABLE of using anything with your ******** arms! Who the ******** came up with that one? They're not more capable than anyone else, in fact they're less capable that myself. If some ******** in a god damn wheelchair ever comes up to me and says that they're not handicapped that they're handicapable I'm going to reply with this. "If you're handicapable then that must make me ******** AWESOME. Right up there with god!"

How about this, HANDICAPABLE ISN'T EVEN A ******** PROPER WORD... ******** class="postcontent-align-right" style="text-align: right">User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:54 pm
Most people won't know the difference for my main word pet peeve. I hate it when bring and take (and the other forms of said words) are interchanged.

I went to an A&W the other day where a sign on the register said, "Our ice cream machine is broke."

...of course, I grew up in a home where it's okay to say, "We went and seen the movie last night." Indeed, this is an actual text I recieved from my mother.  

lizzica

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:03 pm
Ugh, I hate that "seen" thing. "I seen so-and-so walking down the street." No, you SAW so-and-so, or you have/had seen so-and-so. GUH. There was a girl who talked like that in my kindergarten class. I couldn't figure out why she sounded so stupid to me, when she was such a nice girl. Then I figured out that she said things like "We gone outside, and then we seen a dog." She also pronounced "ing" as "een". She talked about going "shopeen" and "fisheen".  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:04 pm
That's funny, I know a girl who actually can't pronounce 'ing' and ends up pronouncing it 'een'. Seems like it would be correctable, but apparently not in this situation. question  

lizzica

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:08 am
I notice when people use the wrong wording or spelling, but I hardly ever care. At least in an average conversation or something. If it's supposed to be a more professional bit of writing or speech, then I'd mind.

But, to contribute:
People often say they feel nauseous, but they should say they feel nauseated. Only things that cause nausea can be nauseous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:45 am
User Image

I make a constant point of correcting people on my MSN list when they get "they're/their/there" and "you're/your" wrong.

People hate me on MSN now. xd

User Image

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:54 am
User Image
I just ******** with them Bass.

When they say "your stupid" I say "My stupid what?"

--------------------------------------------

Art By: Trish the Stalker

"What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me." - Rorschach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:56 am
User Image

That's what I do.

"your evil"
"My evil what?"
"No, your mean"
"My mean what?"
"nevermind"
"No, could you not see what I did there?"
"bein annoyin?"
"No. You used the wrong instance of "you're/your". "Your" is possessive, you're saying that something belonging to me is evil or mean, but not quantifying it. The word you were after is "You're". The apostrophe signals a contraction, in this case of "You are". Get it right and I won't take the piss any more"
"oh"

biggrin

User Image

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:15 pm
I love you, Bass! XD

@waku: That reminds me of when people say they need to itch something. You scratch an itch, you don't itch an itch.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff