Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
The Best Question Ever Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you answer?
  yes
  No
View Results

Drunken_Ninja08

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:37 pm
ninja-boi92
it all depends on your definition of 'sound.'

by popular definition, yes. it does make a sound. a sound is a group of vibrations, send in wave-like patterns from the source. regardless of who's there, it makes a sound.

another definition is that sound is the percieving and deciphering of these vibrations by the central nervous system. i.e. it is the information our brain recieves when the vibrations stimulate the nerves in our ears. by this, no. it does not make a sound. it produces vibrations, but because noone is there to hear it, it will never be deciphered by a brain, and thus, will not be a sound.

But by saying that no one was around to intercept the sound waves is to say that there are no animals and bug life in the ecosystem surrounding the tree, which usually means that there wouldn't be a tree standing in general. Thing about all the places that have trees. Tell me of one place where there are no animal or bug lifeforms around any of the trees.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:21 pm
Drunken_Ninja08
White Siren Queen
Drunken_Ninja08
Deppfan Teague
Drunken_Ninja08
Sound: The vibration of air molecules that create a high/low pressure system, or 'waves'. These waves are known as sound. Regardless of whether someone is there to hear it or not. Trust me, we went over this in physics this year in school. I could tell you all about it.

Well, we've gone over this several times in school, and every time, the teacher gave the same answer I gave.

Well, no offense but...that seems relatively idiotic. But, I will play off of what your teacher apparently taught you.

So, it requires a sensory organ to be considered "sound"? Well, animals and bugs have said sensory organs. A falling tree's sound waves are going to travel pretty far, so animals and bugs will hear it. Thus, making it sound.

Er... not to be a smart a** about it or anything..
But in the original question, wasn't there the factor of "no one" being around to hear it? .___.; [This includes, mamals, insects, blah blah, whaever living organism that has sensory organs that feel/ hear/ movements and sounds.]

Though in my opinion, it still makes a sound. Hertz and vibrations in the air, along with the explanation of molecules in the air..
Sound is sound.
Period, whether you hear it or not.
That's the whole frustrating part about physics though..
Sometimes it seems like it's defying logic. x__x;

This is why I really don't like basing what I said off of "reception of sound waves". By saying that "no one" is around is assuming that there is nothing in the ecosystem around to support animal and bacterial life. If the ecosystem couldn't support animal or bacterial life, then it is extremely doubtful that there would be any trees around to begin with.

I notice that nobody questions the existence of the falling tree if nobody was around to see it.
What if the only human around (completely disregarding all other lifeforms for the time being) was hard of hearing? Does it only sorta make sound? Doubtful.

Not intending to make a religious discussion, but God hears it. He hears all.  

I Am Just Kit

Drunken_Ninja08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:19 pm
Kitti606
Drunken_Ninja08
White Siren Queen
Drunken_Ninja08
Deppfan Teague
Drunken_Ninja08
Sound: The vibration of air molecules that create a high/low pressure system, or 'waves'. These waves are known as sound. Regardless of whether someone is there to hear it or not. Trust me, we went over this in physics this year in school. I could tell you all about it.

Well, we've gone over this several times in school, and every time, the teacher gave the same answer I gave.

Well, no offense but...that seems relatively idiotic. But, I will play off of what your teacher apparently taught you.

So, it requires a sensory organ to be considered "sound"? Well, animals and bugs have said sensory organs. A falling tree's sound waves are going to travel pretty far, so animals and bugs will hear it. Thus, making it sound.

But in the original question, wasn't there the factor of "no one" being around to hear it? .___.; [This includes, mamals, insects, blah blah, whaever living organism that has sensory organs that feel/ hear/ movements and sounds.]

Though in my opinion, it still makes a sound. Hertz and vibrations in the air, along with the explanation of molecules in the air..
Sound is sound.

This is why I really don't like basing what I said off of "reception of sound waves". By saying that "no one" is around is assuming that there is nothing in the ecosystem around to support animal and bacterial life. If the ecosystem couldn't support animal or bacterial life, then it is extremely doubtful that there would be any trees around to begin with.

I notice that nobody questions the existence of the falling tree if nobody was around to see it.
What if the only human around (completely disregarding all other lifeforms for the time being) was hard of hearing? Does it only sorta make sound? Doubtful.

Erm...let's keep away from religious views, shall we? That's a different thread for a different time...Plus, the question specifically said "If there was nobody around", so that cancels out your theory. Good thought, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
I don't get it the best question ever isn't a question lol  

dinosue1

purple monkeys in a train

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:58 pm
I think about that all the time! It might be yes because, say, you're walking through the forest and suddenly you come across a fallen tree. In the middle of the forest, no one usually goes out there. So it seems like, of course trees fall all the time without any witnesses. But do you count God, or animals? Or spirits, or whatever kind of thing you believe in? Truly a great thing to pass time thinking about.
~~Bridget<3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:54 am
ya i think....  

peacegal45

Sparkly Genius

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:33 am
technically, yes it will, despite the fact nobody can hear it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:58 am
it's very simple. sound is purely vibration of matter. if a tree falls, it will hit something, transferring kinetic energy, causing a vibration, and making a sound.
also: does a tape recorder count as someone being around to hear it?  

GReATeACheRLArGo

2,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

GReATeACheRLArGo

2,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:05 pm
Drunken_Ninja08
Kitti606
Drunken_Ninja08
White Siren Queen
Drunken_Ninja08

Sound is sound.

Erm...let's keep away from religious views, shall we? That's a different thread for a different time...Plus, the question specifically said "If there was nobody around", so that cancels out your theory. Good thought, though.
well, the way i see there are sounds no one can hear, ,whether its because it's too quiet or at a very high or low pitch, so you don't have to hear it for it to be sound.that would be like saying light isn't light if you can't see it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:07 pm
If a train falls in a forest and no one is around, does it smell.  

Brenolian Child

Mad Haru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:13 pm
sedo_mare
"...sound is: "the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium."

So technically, if the energy vibrations that would cause sound never reach the 'organs of hearing', then no- it does not make a sound.

It's kind of like the 'Schroeders Cat' experiment...you never know unless you observe it, but to observe it would change the outcome..."

~this is a quote by a person called Autumn on yahoo answers who put it as clearly as it can be put

Slap that person and remind them that Bacteria are affected by sound.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:19 am
yes it'll still make a sound, no one hears it but definitely it made a sound  

Zariah Khi

Lavish Dabbler

13,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Drumgasmic Monkeyguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:48 pm
in my opinion it does. just because there is no one there to record it currently it doesnt mean it is not there. look out into space or the dinosaurs. there's a lot going on out there that we can record yet but later on we can prove it happened. with the dinos no humans were there to record them but from fossils and other scientific methods we have proven they exist.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:27 pm
Removing his sunglasses, Pullo began to speak.

"Yes. Soundwaves were made, although no auditory receptors of any kind received them. It still makes a noise because soundwaves were produced, which is the basic definition of sound."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

He then turned and walked away, hoping he looked really damn cool.

Pullo

lnvictus

Profitable Guildsman

5,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:01 pm
It only makes a sound if there is someone there who's ear drums can vibrate from the "sound" it makes on a molecular level.
Therefore, If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it. We do not know if it makes a sound as there is NO ONE around to hear it. Though we know that if a tree falls and people are around to hear it, it will make a sound. For all we know, there could be a one-and-one-one-trillionth of a chance that it doesn't make a sound and nobody would know for sure since there is nobody around.
So there is no correct answer to this question. By logic, yes, it should make a sound. But since nobody heard it, there is no conclusive proof that it actually did.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff