Reply Community Lounge
The most misused invention ever to be misused. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ogyshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 pm
Cities growing isn't a problem. It's how they grow. Yes of course you'd have to travel a bit to get to all the places in the city, but the point is, wouldn't it better if you don't have to everyday? If your needs are close, that would be a fine city. If you're interested having more it only makes sense that you should have to travel farther; but not everyday, unless you want to, or unless you live in a rural area.

And of course the mall's stuff is cheaper.. but if you take into account the money spent on gas on the way over there as well as well as the price of the whole freaking car than it's not cheaper for very many. Besides, there's greater things to worry about than paying extra quarter for a carton of milk.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Yanike
I'd say computers are misused now. I hate having to clear my computer of viruses/tracking cookies. Plus all the people that phish and get all that personal information... no bueno.

psht. Computers. Yeah I hate those viruses. And phishers. And neck cramps.  

Ogyshi

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:13 pm
Ogyshi
Cities growing isn't a problem. It's how they grow. Yes of course you'd have to travel a bit to get to all the places in the city, but the point is, wouldn't it better if you don't have to everyday? If your needs are close, that would be a fine city. If you're interested having more it only makes sense that you should have to travel farther; but not everyday, unless you want to, or unless you live in a rural area.

And of course the mall's stuff is cheaper.. but if you take into account the money spent on gas on the way over there as well as well as the price of the whole freaking car than it's not cheaper for very many. Besides, there's greater things to worry about than paying extra quarter for a carton of milk.

Obviously it would be ideal if cities could be designed, from the ground up, to give easier access to all amenities. I have absolutely no idea how this could be accomplished, but yes, it would be great and ideal and perfect.

It's just that those of us living in real, non-ideal cities have to make do with what we've got. razz If that means catching a ride with someone else who's going shopping, that's what one does. I think that's an excellent use for a car, sharing transportation when multiple people have a common goal.

(Apologies if I'm not making sense, it's 2:15, I ought to be asleep, but that doesn't seem to be happening.)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 pm
lol. Yeah you make sense, Taeryyn. Despite how I might sound, I'm not proposing we just ban cars and rebuild the entire world right now. That would be an impossible project. Best we can do is not abuse personal transportation to a fault. And work on small projects at a time.. like seeing what can be done about fixing your annoying roads. aha razz  

Ogyshi

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:27 pm
Ogyshi

Ha great way to justify marginalising the poor problems. "It's just a quarter" is what everyone says. It adds up, and a car makes it easier to everything. Not just shop, but laundry, find better deals on clothing, and hell get to other jobs. This idea that cars are unnecessary is frivolous. Public transportation and walking are fine until you look at individual needs. Cars are essential to people because they allow us to get around on our own time. What if there isn't a job near me, and I have to go across town during the night? That's when the car is a nice thing to have. When you have to go somewhere, and sometime others don't. You are taking away apart of individuality for something that is purely aesthetic. It's not fair to deny the physical and social mobility of a car to city dwellers for such petty gains.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:29 pm
Ogyshi
Yanike
I'd say computers are misused now. I hate having to clear my computer of viruses/tracking cookies. Plus all the people that phish and get all that personal information... no bueno.

psht. Computers. Yeah I hate those viruses. And phishers. And neck cramps.

I actually don't mind viruses... Fixing people's computers is what pays for my smoking habit.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:38 pm
Ohhh our roads are a lost cause. x3 When I grew up in rural Nova Scotia, I thought it was bad because the roads were, well, crumbling to pieces.

Little did I know there is something worse; crumbling streets that are one-way in two different directions. biggrin

http://i43.tinypic.com/2e5va6x.jpg
The red arrows are for added effect. x3 (Well, then I noticed there were already blue arrows. GAH.) Keep in mind that the two-way streets are barely narrow enough to be called two-way. Like...two large SUVs can't pass each other without one practically being on the sidewalk. x3  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:39 pm
Saverio C.
Ogyshi

Ha great way to justify marginalising the poor problems. "It's just a quarter" is what everyone says. It adds up, and a car makes it easier to everything. Not just shop, but laundry, find better deals on clothing, and hell get to other jobs. This idea that cars are unnecessary is frivolous. Public transportation and walking are fine until you look at individual needs. Cars are essential to people because they allow us to get around on our own time. What if there isn't a job near me, and I have to go across town during the night? That's when the car is a nice thing to have. When you have to go somewhere, and sometime others don't. You are taking away apart of individuality for something that is purely aesthetic. It's not fair to deny the physical and social mobility of a car to city dwellers for such petty gains.

That's where public transit comes in. Good public transit, which unfortunately doesn't exist in many places. Sure, it's slightly less convenient than having a car, but if someone can't put up with that than they are just spoiled. Not everyone can drive either, nor can afford to.

And by the way I'm aware the "just a quarter" statement was an understatement. I just think that issue is petty compared to what else we talked about.  

Ogyshi

Ogyshi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:49 pm
Taeryyn
Ohhh our roads are a lost cause. x3 When I grew up in rural Nova Scotia, I thought it was bad because the roads were, well, crumbling to pieces.

Little did I know there is something worse; crumbling streets that are one-way in two different directions. biggrin

http://i43.tinypic.com/2e5va6x.jpg
The red arrows are for added effect. x3 (Well, then I noticed there were already blue arrows. GAH.) Keep in mind that the two-way streets are barely narrow enough to be called two-way. Like...two large SUVs can't pass each other without one practically being on the sidewalk. x3

omg wtfwtf. When you mentioned Nova Scotia and showed me that map that had "Sydney Dr" and about 7 other street names I recognized I thought this was a map of Sydney, NS. (Where I'm from). I had to take a detailed study of the map to find out it wasn't.

Yeah that can look a little annoying to navigate..

On another note though, I love the crumbyness of rural NS roads. They look nice and I love the way they feel when I drive over the cracks.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 pm
I live in Saint John, NB currently, although I've been to Sydney a few times. Spent more time in New Waterford, though. I miss my friends from CB. ;_; Originally from Parrsboro on the mainland, myself.

The crumblyness is all well and good until you're trying to drive a critically ill animal to the vet, or trying not to wreck your car driving at night. x3 I suppose there's "crumbly" and then there's "decrepit", though. xD  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Essence of Crayon

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:38 am
Taeryyn
I'd say cameras are pretty misused. Capturing a moment is one thing; taking a million shitty pictures of oneself out of sheer conceit and vanity is another. What else are cameras used for? Blackmail. Spying. Boooo.

Photoshop's misused. Instead of simply being used for incredible artistic feats, it's now the reason that even photographic evidence isn't immediately trustworthy.

As for cars, meh. I live in an extremely car-unfriendly city. The roads and buildings were built before cars were really mainstream. As a result, the roads are extremely narrow and poorly laid out, there's almost nowhere to park, and very few people who live here bother owning a car.

But the idiots who do own cars need to learn to ******** drive. I don't know how many times I've nearly been hit when crossing the street (while there's a red light for cars and a walk sign for me!) in broad daylight.

I'm SO with you on the cameras bit. Particularly with cameras in phones. So many bullying incidents have been recorded on them and it's just sick. Just recently on the news we had a woman recording a bashing which involved her daughter beating up another's child. "Kill her, Tamara.", she said. Eurgh.
This incident is unfortunately not very rare.

Oh, and here are the links to the story
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/police-investigate-wallsend-girl-fight-video/1536284.aspx
http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/2009/06/10/police-scrutinise-girls-fight-video-viewers-disgusted/  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:00 am
Essence of Crayon
Taeryyn
I'd say cameras are pretty misused. Capturing a moment is one thing; taking a million shitty pictures of oneself out of sheer conceit and vanity is another. What else are cameras used for? Blackmail. Spying. Boooo.

Photoshop's misused. Instead of simply being used for incredible artistic feats, it's now the reason that even photographic evidence isn't immediately trustworthy.

As for cars, meh. I live in an extremely car-unfriendly city. The roads and buildings were built before cars were really mainstream. As a result, the roads are extremely narrow and poorly laid out, there's almost nowhere to park, and very few people who live here bother owning a car.

But the idiots who do own cars need to learn to ******** drive. I don't know how many times I've nearly been hit when crossing the street (while there's a red light for cars and a walk sign for me!) in broad daylight.

I'm SO with you on the cameras bit. Particularly with cameras in phones. So many bullying incidents have been recorded on them and it's just sick. Just recently on the news we had a woman recording a bashing which involved her daughter beating up another's child. "Kill her, Tamara.", she said. Eurgh.
This incident is unfortunately not very rare.

Oh, and here are the links to the story
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/police-investigate-wallsend-girl-fight-video/1536284.aspx
http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/2009/06/10/police-scrutinise-girls-fight-video-viewers-disgusted/

I believe I heard that story.. silly silly silly... And there's so many viral videos that I can't help but think have a dark secret behind them. Not to mention any in particular..

Hrm. Is there anyone else who thinks the new street view on google maps is a little too much? However verry convenient. I heard it's coming to Canada rather soon.  

Ogyshi

Liltweet_gal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:15 am
The town I live has a very good public transport system. We can go pretty much anywhere in the other big towns and cities. Plus, they're free unless you go out of the city/town limits. Recently I haven't been driving around to places as much as I used to since I moved closer to where most of the stores are. Oh, and I've found that prices in the malls are much higher than the prices in the stores I go to.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:36 am
I think my biggest annoyance is people who ride in hummers and it's one tiny chick. I live near a miltary base so I see a lot of army wives (Not knocking army wives, most I've met are wonderful, strong women) But some use thier husbands money while gone to buy the hummers and they have no kids. They also drive themselves around 90% of the time. Personally, I ride my bike places I can go on my bike. And it's hard as my town doesn't have a biker lane. So on busy streets, you have to go on the sidewalk. And there's a law against that. But some drivers (Hummers stare ) don't understand what to do with a biker on the road.  

Ritzy_freak

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:04 am
Have you all heard of the electric car (no not a hybrid, electric) one of the companies had some years ago that after a short time they recalled all of them and made it illegal to own or drive one. They are all still sitting in some guarded parking lot just cus they don't inhale gas and poison the earth?

And yes hummers are for driving in army/war quality terrain just like all modern cities and suburbs. rolleyes

Also I ride the train to school everyday and could take it into the nearest big city. And what makes me sad is that years ago people had dreams of the world being crisscrossed by trains. That vision is gone and yet driving is so more work than riding a train where you can amuse yourself with a book or just look out the window.
I love the reactions of the occasional kids I see. There is so much more for them to experience and no seat belts for them to feel confined in. (no one likes that feeling)

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff