I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Phones, and texting ? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Addicted to using your cellphone ? (Texting, calling, etc)
  HELL YES.
  Yeah, quite a bit.
  Not really. I can live without my cellphone.
  No, I don't even NEED one.
View Results

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:27 pm
I have an iPhone 3G. Despite having to pay 200 USD for it with a two-year contract, it's proven its worth many times. I haven't had any major problems with it, save for a few catches in the OS from time to time. It's a great utility, you can do just about everything with different apps, and the games are getting better for it.

Cons? The fact that it's anchored to AT&T. If another provider EVER buys the rights to it, I'll be switching in a heartbeat, though I fear that day may never come.

AT&T is crap. Hands down. Especially concerning the iPhone. None of the retail locations have an Apple representative there, and the AT&T employees don't have the training to give you any sort of legit advice on your phone. I can't TELL you how many times I've been turned away from an AT&T store with the advice "Why don't you try an Apple Store?"

Anyway, aside from the service provider, the phone is great. I think it's completely worth the money if you have it.

As for texting, if I have someone to text to, I'll do it relentlessly. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:32 pm
I have my Aro-phone (a grey Samsung M300).
Unlimited texting, unlimited internet, but all calls are 20cents/minute for local, and I don't even want to know for long distance. President's Choice is pretty sweet =D I pay $15/month for my unlimited things, and then it's just pay as you go. I buy a $25 phone card every month, and then tend to waste that extra $10 on Gaia Cash xd *hopelessly addicted to this damn website*

..Did ANY of that make sense? gonk *isn't really sure it did sweatdrop *

EDIT
I have Skype, but, I'm not usually on, because I'm not actually supposed to have it sweatdrop  

YunieCookie

Silent Star

17,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Conventioneer 300

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:44 pm
I have a Motorola....something. I really don't know the model, but it's nothing special...I'm on my parents' Verizon plan by the way.

I have no idea how many minutes I have. Not like I use any of them...I'm not big on talking on the phone. Don't know why....It's really weird though. I like talking to folks in person and over the internet and stuff, but I hate doing it on the phone >.< Bah. I'm weird.

I have unlimited texting. I asked my folks to get it so they'd stop yelling at me for them (at the time I didn't even text all that much. Most of the charges were from receiving them. Which was retarded.). The majority of the texts I get and send are to Mr. Cow. He gets bored during work...>.>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:58 pm
I have the CDMA version of the HTC Touch (like the model Verizon uses, I am told) through Telus (Yes, I am Canadian).

I have unlimited IM (via MSN Mobile), email, and web browsing, as well as unlimited text messaging (to Canada and the US) but NOT SMS.

My cell phone is my only phone, no sense paying for a landline when I've a perfectly good phone with a good plan. I haven't gotten around to installing skype on it, but I plan to.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:58 pm
I have a Verizon Blitz and I quite enjoy it. I've had it for about a week and a half though, o I don't think I've had enough time to find anything to dislike about it xd  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:25 pm
I have a LG Env 3. My carrier is Verizon. I used to have 400 minutes (almost everyone I call has Verizon so we talk for free & I barely use actual minutes) but they recently convinced me to upgrade to get my phone. I've got unlimited text and video and internet usage. I pay for downloads obviously, but I really don't download apps or anything.

I also get a 20% discount from work so my plan isn't all that expensive, only about $65USD a month.

I am very happy with it! mrgreen  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:32 pm
I have a purple Sony M510 cell through Bell. I'm not a huge fan of Bell, but when I got my phone, they had the best long-distance rates in the area. =x I move around a lot, and the only people I actually call are in a different province.

I have unlimited texting and that's the feature I use most. I text to communicate with my roommates, and people text me because I am not available during the day to talk. (I work in a call centre 4-5 days a week, and phones must be turned off on the premises.) I don't use voicemail, so most people just text me.

I rarely actually make calls.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:51 pm
Quote:
I have the CDMA version of the HTC Touch (like the model Verizon uses, I am told) through Telus (Yes, I am Canadian).

I have unlimited IM (via MSN Mobile), email, and web browsing, as well as unlimited text messaging (to Canada and the US) but NOT SMS.

My cell phone is my only phone, no sense paying for a landline when I've a perfectly good phone with a good plan. I haven't gotten around to installing skype on it, but I plan to.

I'm confused. Because text messaging IS SMS.
SMS stands for "Short Message Service". smile

Where do you guys DL Skype for your phones ?

And it seems as everyone's got pretty decent plans, for the most part...
As for me, I just called Rogers again (it's like, THE number one place I call nowadays...)
and I'm in the midst of changing my plan;
so it's going to total to about $87, for unlimited messaging (text, picture, video in Canada), 450 minutes, early evening calling and unlimited weekends, visual voicemail (applicable only for the iPhone), caller ID, 500MB of data, and My10 Canada-wide...

Does anyone have 'texting buddies' ? Just curious.
Essentially, it's someone (a stranger, more or less) who you text...
Make the unlimited texting feature worthwhile...
wink

I used to do it.
I still do. biggrin

Haha.
And no, of course I'm not obsessed. rolleyes

Yeonie

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 pm
text messages are sent to cell phone numbers. SMS messages are sent to/from short codes like you see in ads and whatnot. They are considered to be data transfers, and cost 50 cents to send or receive, on top of any fees associated with the service you are SMSing for. The going rate for a regular text message without a plan is 15 cents. There is a HUGE difference.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:18 pm
Kalstolyn
text messages are sent to cell phone numbers. SMS messages are sent to/from short codes like you see in ads and whatnot. They are considered to be data transfers, and cost 50 cents to send or receive, on top of any fees associated with the service you are SMSing for. The going rate for a regular text message without a plan is 15 cents. There is a HUGE difference.
I never knew that... good info to have, I always wondered what that was cause well.. if it was text messaging they would just call it that.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:34 pm
Yeonie

Where do you guys DL Skype for your phones ?

Try here  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:42 am
I don't have a cell phone.
I used to own one though...and I discovered that I despise texting. It is from the devil.  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Senryoske

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:16 am
I have the ENV Touch with Verizon. I now have unlimited texting and my dad and I share like 700 minutes or something like that. the minutes are his, considering the longest phone conversation I've ever had was with my grandma and it was 9 minutes. This is my fourth phone too so I'm not into talking.

I text all the time but I can give it up really fast which makes my dad mad cause it's not much of a punishment to take away a phone and not be worried or upset.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:36 am
Quote:

Phone providers refer to text messages as SMS, and vice versa;
that's why when you get "unlimited messaging plans", it states on your bill as an "unlimited SMS/MMS/etc"...

And most people understand SMS and MMS to be text and picture messaging, so it's essentially the same thing.

And no matter WHERE the actual texts come from, it is received as an "SMS" - whether it's a cellphone that's sending, or an automatic message from an ad or such.

Plus, you're not always charged for SMS that you recieve from companies and adverts. There's the "unlimited received messages of any type" bundle available, to some providers.  

Yeonie

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 am
Al they ARE from the devil, by the way that made me laugh! xd

For long distance calls I use the magicJack, I think it's pretty much the same as skype, but you don't have to buy the phone from them. You use a normal phone, corded or wireless.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff