Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:05 am
aretoo
Shram
My favourite writers and artists for Donald Duck is Carl Barks and Don rosa as they took a more serious approach to the stories (and they combined their stories together).

other writers just clash a typical "donald gets mad and screams at everything" story.

I love you, Shram... lol I just pulled out my Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and the companion graphic novels by Don Rosa, and I'm to get my loaned-out copy of Barks' Life of Uncle Scrooge McDuck here in a week or two. ^_^

Then, of course, there's DuckTales, which heavily mined Barks' Scrooge mythology.

And there's Gottfriedson's Mickey stories with Colonel Dobermann and the Phantom Blot and etc... ^_^
I am an old ATG member =]

^-^
Donald Duck is part of the norwegian Culture I'm bound to know some stuffs =3
but yes I love the stories =D
and I liked ducktales to as far as I saw it (not to popular in norway)

Edit:
No wonder you thought it was Shite GRM, that game is nothing compared to the original PS2 version... and totally different gameplay and story....

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
Captain Shram has answered your thread

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:10 am
Did you know that Barks was born and (partially) raised in Oregon, a couple hours south of me? (He also retired there, and died there several years after Garè passed away)

As a matter of fact, replicas of several of his Duck oil paintings are in the rotation of my computer's background images. ^_^

EDIT: Oh, and GRM? The GBA versions are so COMPLETELY different than the PS2 versions, kinda like comparing Mario Brothers (not even Super Mario) and, say, playing Mario in Smash Brothers. smile  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:13 am

the day Barks died was a sad day, equally so was the day Don said he is finished with Donald Duck, still we have Marco Rota and I am hoping for new artists willing to continue the style and stories.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:44 am
Hmm I may have to get GTR to get it for the PS2 then. I figured they would be similar games being of the same title and all!  

God-Raped-Me

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:46 am

its a major ******** up on their side.
the GBA game can be good but only if you know what the game is, and for that you need to play the first ps2 game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:53 am
Oh ok, like I said, GTR will have to play it when he comes home.  

God-Raped-Me

Kasumi Seizou

450 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:19 pm
I guess we can expect to see Juggernaut in the next Kingdom of Hearts game.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:00 am
I find there are several pros and cons to this.

Pros:
1.Marvel was running out of ideas. Dark Reign is MAJOR re-hash. Disney will help with new ideas.

2.All i have to say on the movies is. SMART MOVE MARVEL. Disney doesnt have to mess with any of them. Most people dont realize it but Touchstone = Disney. Touchstone does war movies and with the Marvel stuff under that name, they will do twice as well as before.

3.Things will come quicker to release now. Disney's team is HUGE, so more artists, more writers, etc, for Marvel

Cons:

1.We're gonna end up seeing some stuff toned down. Things like Ultimates and Epics. They were more gory, more sex, more violence. Under the Disney comics label? I.Dont.Think.So. In other words, if you want your intact ultimates comics, BUY THEM NOW.

2.In the long run, a lot of Marvel artists and writers are going to leave. The art and story will go down hill. It'll be a while though.

Summary:

Incredible purchase short term, it'll give marvel a boost. Long term though, it's gonna hurt both ends, and bad. Marvel and Disney will both lose a lot of fans. This isn't coming for probably around 10 years or so. This is also gonna ******** up fandoms beyond belief.  

O h a y a r i

Demonic Hunter

13,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:38 am
Mmmmmmmyeah. From what I understand, Disney's planning on being pretty "hands-off" about Marvel's day-to-day running. As someone said when, I believe, Iron Man came out, "more people are going to see this movie today than are going to buy Marvel comics in the next five years." The comics aren't going to be important to Disney; they don't even bother publishing their own characters; they've always farmed 'em out to Gold Key, or Gladstone, or... smile

All in all, this is a tempest in a teapot. Basically, the Marvel movies will now have a strong arm and a bankroll behind them. And Disney will be making a pile of cash as long as they keep the integrity of the movies true to the comics (which is where Marvel movies, much as it pains me to say it, FAR outshines DC, who seem to think everything has to be "reimagined" for the silver screen.)

As far as rehashing ideas, *shrug* they do that all the time. They figure(d) that the audience turns over every 10 years or so, and everything old is new again. The whole Ultimate universe is basically mainstream universe's 70 years of history, with tweaks, condensed into 10. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm
About Kingdom Hearts: There's actually a very sweet blending of Disney and Final Fantasy in those games. There's a neat little message about how all these different characters have different worlds, but that they're connected with each other. whee And the GBA game would be really boring to watch xp I wasn't a fan of the card system in that game. But KH2 even has that awesome "Old School Mickey" world, whatever it's called, where everything is in black and white, and "old-tyme" style. whee

And as for Disney buying Marvel: Well...as long as we don't get "Super Hero High School Musical" I think it'll be ok. If the integrity of the Marvel characters is preserved, I think people will be satisfied. So I won't sound alarms until I hear something troubling. Though admittedly, my gut reaction was, "OH NOOOOOES! Super Hero High School Musical can't be far behind!!" xp  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:59 am
What this means basically boils down to: Disney ran out of old folk tales and literature to bastardize and cheapen, so they decided to make a risky financial move in an attempt to come up with new source material. mad  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:59 pm
rolleyes

Oh here we go.

Disney owns Touchstone Pictures (Apocalypto, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Royal Tenenbaums, etc, etc, etc, Hollywood Pictures (includes Spyglass Entertainment which brought you The Sixth Sense, Wanted, etc...), Miramax Pictures (The Weinstein Brothers...Quentin Taratino, people! Many more), and so on....

Disney =/= Ooshy kooshy baby stuff. It's a HUGE corporation, you really think kid's stuff like Mickey and HSM are the only things bringing in profits?

Disney buying Marvel does not mean suddenly everything in Marvel changes. It stays the same...only now both Marvel and Disney get to make more money and, hopefully, bring down the price of comic books.
Marvel doesn't seem to mind, why should anyone else?

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 pm
I mind because Disney's going to bring the stuff that I was raised on and enjoy on a deeply personal level to the mainstream, thereby making it more easily accessible to the types of people who kill trends and ruin jokes. And frankly, that's the only reason I said anything at all on the subject - I worry that marketability will take the place of originality and ruin the characters I love, whether or not Disney alters them to begin with.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:23 am
No need to worry, because with comics and their characters, that originality IS the marketability. Ultimate X-Men is actually one of the best selling comic series' ever, so i take back my previous statement. Disney won't ******** with a good thing.  

O h a y a r i

Demonic Hunter

13,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:00 am
I just freaked out at first, I know Disney HAS made good movies, I'm just not sure if there has been any lately. After reading that Pixar has a lot of control over what Disney does I was relieved. Pixar is capable of, and has, making great movies.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff