Submit

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:32 pm
I'm not one for scary movies really...I'm a wimp sweatdrop

But I love 28 Days Later~
28 Weeks Later...ew. No thanks >.<

[/fairly useless post]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:24 am
I'd have to say that the scariest, for me, were probably the Alien movies. Well, them and Night of the Living Dead. Or any other decent zombie movie. Try and tell me I'm the only one that doesn't go outside without a blunt object after watching such a movie.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Surazal Dloc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:59 am
WEll I love lots of movies, and horror happens to be one of my favourites genres so i cant really choose a favourite. I love the Saw series because of its awesome storyline, they could probably turn down the gore a little but i know its what atracts a lot of people.

The only horror movie that has actually sorta made me react, almost squemish was watching Hostel, and Hostel 2. It's like when you see a someone with like missing limbs or something, you don't wanna stare but you can look away.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:04 am
You know what scary movies I did like? I liked No Vacancy and What Lies Beneath! I really do like scary movies like that, with little or no blood!  

God-Raped-Me

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:14 am
I like Alien and Aliens. I haven't seen the others. If I ever got an orange kitty, I'd have to name it Jones.

What Lies Beneath is good. Although the first half of it is very Rear Window.

I can't stand the Saw movies. Well, I've only seen the first one...but I can imagine they're all basically the same.

Interesting about Paranormal Activity, Slim. I have yet to get scared at a scary movie, but I still hope to see it even if I'm left as unaffected as you were!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:34 pm
Ah, I can't get enough of Aliens... That's a fantastic one.

I've never seen the Saw movies, and have never intended to. My friend Lyza is having a Halloween bash soon, however, and it seems that Saw is being included in the festivities. I guess I shouldn't bash it till I try it, but... Movies whose appeal is almost entirely based on straight-up gore don't amuse me.  

Slim95
Crew

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:43 pm
All the Saw movies are just snuff films with a psychological twist. They make it so that self-contained units of people end up murdering each other. That's not so much scary as it is nauseating. Of course, I can say this after watching one (Saw IV, I think. They're all the same anyway.).  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:27 am
@ GRM: I also liked What Lies BEneath, good film.

@ Slim & Erv: I don't think of the saw films as snuff gore films. I think they are very intelligent thought provoking good storytelling movies disguised as a gore-fest. Like I sit there and listen to Saw and you almost agree with what he's doing right before you remember he's killing people xD The plot and the twists are fantastic and nearly every character has a unique and interesting back story relevant to the current story. I will say there are those who just miss that though and watch it purely for the gore.  

Surazal Dloc

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:38 pm
The psychological aspect of the Saw movies appeals to me, and I would totally agree that they sound very well-written, but I can't deal with that much graphic violence. I won't subject myself to that. When I'm watching the movies, I can't help but put myself in the victims' shoes, and I imagine what they're feeling (physically and otherwise). That's not entertaining for me, it's just really distressing.

My friends have tried to talk me around into watching various horror films, saying things like, "It's just a movie, it's not real", but that just doesn't change anything for me. :s Read the newspaper, watch the evening news; there really are sick, horrible murderers out there that really do torture and kill people. Seeing that stuff on a screen just makes me ill, and having a good plot just isn't enough of a redeeming quality.

Maybe that's why I like Resident Evil. First and foremost, I associate it with a video game, not real life suffering.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:26 pm
You get that "I'm going to vomit" feeling as well Tae? GTR always told me I was weird for being able to feel what they do in movies. When people break fingers even I just can't help but think about how much that would hurt, let alone some spike going through any part of the body! I also never thought of the Resident Evil movies like that, but your way of perceiving them makes sense because I too like them.

I think I would be able to watch most psychological thrillers, as long as there's not a lot of blood in them. I just don't know of many. emo  

God-Raped-Me

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:50 pm
See, it's that "psychological" side of the Saw movies that makes me dislike them. Gore is just boring, so if it was that I would just say the movies didn't interest or entertain me. But I just plain hated the first one.
It was the was girl with the bear trap on her head that really did it. The one who actually said she didn't hate Jigsaw and whatnot afterwards.... Even if I "took my life for granted" or whatever I wouldn't feel any better about it if I had to dig around in some guy's insides to keep myself alive. Especially after being first told the guy was dead (a little more ok...) than finding out he was actually alive and I killed him. I couldn't live with that guilt. It would screw me up far more than fix me. And what about that guy? What chance did he have? And then pitting the doctor in that other guy in a kill or live situation.... Why does that make them better people? It makes Jigsaw all the more sick and twisted to even think for a second he's doing anything to benefit anyone. And I don't get why people think they're good movies for it.... They're to me like cheap thrillers attempting to be "smart" but feel their shortcomings to they add in as much gore to cover it up. Either way I found it bleh.

But I guess what you like it what you like.... Me, I learned to not take things for granted by watching Labyrinth!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:58 am
Oh but Waku that guy she dug through the insides of was supposed to be dead. You learn that later on in the other films whe nthey back track. I still understand your point though.

Same with your Tae, I can understand why it may be distressin. Even I cringed sometiems at some of the stuff. But I just look at it like I see all other horror movies and completely laughably fake so it does bother me. it was stuff like hostel that seemed so realistic that made me sick. Even snakes on a plane made me cringe when people got bitten and stuff and then turned puprle cause it seemed realistic. regular slaher films and exploding gore just dont bother me much.  

Surazal Dloc

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:06 am
If you know about snakes, snakes on a plane is a STUPID a** MOVIE! They didn't even have deadly snakes IN the movie! At least use some of that amazing digital work that can be done and put a deadly snake in. That movie was filled with mostly Corn snakes and Milk snakes, there were a few Garter snakes and a few other harmless snakes. Not to mention even if pheromones were in the air they wouldn't hunt the people down and attack them! Snakes avoid humans AT ALL COSTS and only attack when they feel there is no real threat. It would have been much more likely that the snakes would have attacked each other. It was a shitty movie, so much where I wasn't scared at all.

Sometimes knowing things ruins the imagination.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:37 am
Haha, I watched it for the Lulz and I had many hehe. Oh and yeah I too thought the pheromone idea was pretty weak but you know its not supposed to be that accurate just fun action stuff. But yeah, smual l jackson is cool.  

Surazal Dloc

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:01 am
Major gore doesn't bother me, either. Things that make me cringe are the little things...like fingernails falling off or teeth getting pulled. Pain I can actually imagine happening to me, or remember happening to me. The big stuff doesn't phase me because I know it's just not real.

I saw part of Snakes on a Plane, and I was just bored... sweatdrop I think it just couldn't live up to the hype.

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff