Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:26 pm
I never had to have a jaw expander...that sounds terrifying... eek

Part of the reason I got braces was because my jaw was a little too big!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 pm
you could come down here to my dentist ^^ they're all pretty good. the teeth cleaning hurts like a mother at first though O_O; but the drilling and s**t was fine. well... okay it was weird and sore for a bit but not more than it's supposed to be xd

see, when i had my wisdom teeth out it was AWFUL. for a couple of weeks i had to have only mushy, moderately temperatured food... i had to get all 4 taken out at the same time so... it was a bit traumatic and there was LOTS of anesthetic. WOOHOO! lol

but pretty much, just ask them upfront what they're going to check for and tell them you can't afford to pay for lots of expensive things right now. cleaning for me was about $107 with a 10% discount... >_> pfft. i don't remember how much fillings are but:

you do not have get anything done right away that you can't pay for!
don't let them bully you and make you think it has to be done right there and then. just tell them you need to save up before they do anything costly.

also, insurance is your friend. unfortunately i don't have insurance anymore gonk soooo... probably not gonna be seeing the dentist again for another 6 months when i absolutely have to.

and if they seem shocked at how long it's been since you've been, they can f*** off. xD some woman gave my mom a lecture because MY teeth were bad, and i'm friggan 23. talk2hand what goes in my mouth is MY doing, not hers. I'M the one who eats too much candy, not her. but other than that awkward incident they've all been pretty nice, in spite of the fact that i hadn't seen a dentist since gr. 4 at the time of wisdom teeth being removed. they can scold you and say s**t but you don't have to take it from them. if you feel like they're being really abrasive or out of line, you can walk right out of there and they lose your business.

but anyway the point of all of this is a) let them know right up front that you can't pay for anything costly yet because you need to save for it. b) insurance is your friend. c) if you're not comfortable with them, there are other dentists that you can go to.

(also... all of these dentist horror stories are making my teeth hurt crying )  

~DR.MOOFASA~

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 pm
Kyla: My brother had something like that when he was younger except instead of a key or whatever I remember him having to wear this thing on his face while he slept. It looked incredibly uncomfortable and I remember one morning when I went to wake him up to get ready for school there was dried blood all over his mouth and pillow. It's safe to assume that I was freaked the ******** out. Apparently it had started cutting into the roof of his mouth while he was sleeping D: It only happened that one time but yeah. The image stays with me D:

But yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:17 am
*shudder* yeah that sounds like the jaw expander. There was a little gap in between that thing and the roof of my mouth. I once had a wedge of peanut butter and jelly sammich stuck in there for an entire day. crying crying crying There was so much horrible annoyance and torture invovled with that little device.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:50 am
Liz the dentist I'm going to everyone says is great. He's the same one as GTR's and GTR told him that we don't have a lot of money and to get 2 extractions done it was something like $120. When it should have been $200. He also does payment plans if you REALLY need work done. I've also been told that he's very gentle.

I just can't be sedated for a long while because of the kids! But that won't happen for a while yet. This is just an exam to see what needs to be done.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 am
Ew dentists! I've had one hell of an experience. Not that my regular doctor is bad, he's great. But my orthodontist was another story! I did have to get a jaw expander (the huge chunk of metal at the top of my mouth) and braces and just one hell of an experience! I'm a mouthbreather so everything is 10000x times worse than it should be. not my fault at all. There's no way to fix it. I have to go for cleanings every 4 months and it justs sucks.  

Kaz Likes Cookies

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Flatterer 200

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:37 am
Ugh teeth troubles...I at least lucked out in skipping the braces thing way back when. And now I can have the clear things they make now whenever I get around to that.

But the teeth pulling... -_- I have such a small mouth, they even removed a whole set of teeth. Just thinking about it brings back the worst memories.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:54 am
So I went to get my teeth checked. I need one wisdom pulled because it's just too hard to keep clean. I have 10 teeth that need fillings! After all is said and done the cost, were I paying for it, would be $1808.73. All I can say is OUCH!! I'm just hoping that OW will cover it!  

God-Raped-Me

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces