Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
white lies Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:48 pm
Someoneiknow
I think there are many instances where a lie is more important than the truth.

Like what?

Someoneiknow
I work in a position where there are many confidential things and I must with hold information from individuals for others individual's protection. I cannot tell everyone who asks me, "did that person steal?" I cannot state this, for this would be unfair and unjust to the individual who is the suspect.

In this case, can you not say, "I cannot give you that information?" That's not lying; that's still being truthful while protecting the person.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:48 pm
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
I think there are many instances where a lie is more important than the truth.

Like what?

Someoneiknow
I work in a position where there are many confidential things and I must with hold information from individuals for others individual's protection. I cannot tell everyone who asks me, "did that person steal?" I cannot state this, for this would be unfair and unjust to the individual who is the suspect.

In this case, can you not say, "I cannot give you that information?" That's not lying; that's still being truthful while protecting the person.

Instances where a person asks, "Does this make me look ugly?"
The first thought in my head is, "why yes, to be quite honest your face suddenly looks like a butt now." But I lie and say, "Not necessarily, but I think this would be better."
I'm being kind, but I'm still lying because I'm not saying what I truly think, this is a lie by omission.

I can say that, but it is still a lie by omission. They asked for an answer, and I did not answer them. I only omitted from them what they wanted to know.  

Someoneiknow

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:01 am
Someoneiknow
The first thought in my head is, "why yes, to be quite honest your face suddenly looks like a butt now." But I lie and say, "Not necessarily, but I think this would be better."
I'm being kind, but I'm still lying because I'm not saying what I truly think, this is a lie by omission.

If you said 'no', then you would be lying. You are still being truthful.
    Though, if you really thought "your face suddenly looks like a butt now"........that might be a matter of the state of your heart.....

Someoneiknow
I can say that, but it is still a lie by omission. They asked for an answer, and I did not answer them. I only omitted from them what they wanted to know.

How are you lying? You told them the truth in saying that you cannot give out certain information?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:14 pm
A lie is a lie as a sin is a sin.

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 pm
Testicular Diabetes
A lie is a lie as a sin is a sin.
    exactly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:37 pm
First thing that came up in my head:

If a man pays back evil for good, evil will never leave his house.
proverbs 17:13

And if trouble comes your way for telling the truth instead of a white lie:

For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
1 Peter 3:17  

Grace from God

Blessed Informer

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:42 pm
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow

Though, if you really thought "your face suddenly looks like a butt now"........that might be a matter of the state of your heart.....

Someoneiknow

How are you lying? You told them the truth in saying that you cannot give out certain information?

You are withholding the information that they desire that you know about. From the proverbial stance, it is a lie.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:23 pm
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow

Someoneiknow

You are withholding the information that they desire that you know about. From the proverbial stance, it is a lie.

I thought about where you're coming from. I can understand that.
    Though, it kind of sounds like an assumption is being made:
    just because a person asks something, anything you tell them other than what they asked for is a lie.

What if I asked God, "Can you make it so that I fully understand how the Trinity works?" Would God be lying if He told me that I didn't need to know that information? That it was not essential for me to know at the time I asked Him?

WoodSorrelWitch

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:25 pm
sixthenigma
First thing that came up in my head:

If a man pays back evil for good, evil will never leave his house.
proverbs 17:13

And if trouble comes your way for telling the truth instead of a white lie:

For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
1 Peter 3:17

That hadn't crossed my mind yet.
    It was there, in the way back ^^;
    Thanks for bringing those verses up, especially the latter verse.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:47 am
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow

Someoneiknow

just because a person asks something, anything you tell them other than what they asked for is a lie.

What if I asked God, "Can you make it so that I fully understand how the Trinity works?" Would God be lying if He told me that I didn't need to know that information? That it was not essential for me to know at the time I asked Him?

Hence why many people hate God. He doesn't tell them what they want to know, hence they get the feeling that He is lying to them, hence they hate God. If the perception more so was "God runs a multitrillion soul business, and He has other duties to perform and you are quite capable of understanding such things as that God, Christ, and the Spirit are all seperate, individual Beings through reading scripture and using basic logic by yourself" then those individuals would gain understanding.

There is a phrase that I love "If you want to talk to God, pray. If you want God to talk to you, read the scriptures."

But as I said before, many people think even in my business, where if I don't tell them exactly what they want to hear, many feel like I just lied to them. It's all a matter of perception when it comes to lies, so you have to ask you "Do I feel this is an outright lie, that God would not condone? Or is this a necessary answer to protect other parties involved or avoid gossip, nontruth, etc.?"  

Someoneiknow

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:03 am
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow

Someoneiknow

Hence why many people hate God. He doesn't tell them what they want to know, hence they get the feeling that He is lying to them, hence they hate God. If the perception more so was "God runs a multitrillion soul business, and He has other duties to perform and you are quite capable of understanding such things as that God, Christ, and the Spirit are all seperate, individual Beings through reading scripture and using basic logic by yourself" then those individuals would gain understanding.

There is a phrase that I love "If you want to talk to God, pray. If you want God to talk to you, read the scriptures."

But as I said before, many people think even in my business, where if I don't tell them exactly what they want to hear, many feel like I just lied to them. It's all a matter of perception when it comes to lies, so you have to ask you "Do I feel this is an outright lie, that God would not condone? Or is this a necessary answer to protect other parties involved or avoid gossip, nontruth, etc.?"
    Well, I guess the only thing I'd say in response is, if other people think that way and carry that kind of attitude, that's between them and God.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:19 pm
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint

Well, I guess the only thing I'd say in response is, if other people think that way and carry that kind of attitude, that's between them and God.

Not always. I feel the bishop of your local LDS church can be greatly beneficial in these circumstances. Many times they can be very intune with God's designs, and the Holy Ghost does speak to them most freely in those circumstances.  

Someoneiknow

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint

Not always. I feel the bishop of your local LDS church can be greatly beneficial in these circumstances. Many times they can be very intune with God's designs, and the Holy Ghost does speak to them most freely in those circumstances.

The pastors at the church I attend are more than available to help in whatever way the person needs help in.
    But ultimately, it's on the individual to take whatever step they need to take. Pastors and bishops or other people cannot force anyone to make a certain choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:03 pm
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint

The pastors at the church I attend are more than available to help in whatever way the person needs help in.
    But ultimately, it's on the individual to take whatever step they need to take. Pastors and bishops or other people cannot force anyone to make a certain choice.

I never found much faith in pastors. I found that many I was around tend to deviate from the true purpose of the discussion, and rather try to degrade me and make me feel insolent and weak. I may be small compared to the glory of God, but I don't need to be demoralized to know when I have sinned or when I need to choose a different path.  

Someoneiknow

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:48 pm
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint

I never found much faith in pastors. I found that many I was around tend to deviate from the true purpose of the discussion, and rather try to degrade me and make me feel insolent and weak. I may be small compared to the glory of God, but I don't need to be demoralized to know when I have sinned or when I need to choose a different path.
    I'm sorry you've had some bad experiences with pastors. That has not been the case at all with the pastors at my church. And I've been attending said church for at least 4 or 5 years now.

Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff