I just don't get it... [Possibly IDD] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:55 am
Hmm. I didn't know that about Bosnia and Hercegovina. You learn something new every day. ^^

The relations between several predominantly-Muslim countries and the United States is already very chilly, and I don't think this is going to help.

It's sad, since these crazy people do not speak for the vast majority of Americans, but this demonstration of theirs will very likely put their fellow citizens in danger. sad

There are crazy people in every religion (and crazy atheists x3), and unfortunately I suspect that a tiny minority of violent, crazy Muslims will use this sort of thing as "proof" that the West is anti-Islam. ._.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:58 am
I am Emmmahy, the Evil Overlord of the Sparkling Dutchman!
I have been known to have a temper, and to blind enemies with my lack of shirt.

" They have like...a lot of Muslims but they don't call themselves muslims but...something else sweatdrop
(not sure how to translate)

Yes, there are batshit crazy people everywhere ):
And of course, if this doesn't start a MASSIVE chain of terrorist attacks like which no man has seen before...this will start a MASSIVE chain of terrorist attack which some HAVE seen before.

Lose lose any way. Innocent Americans are screwed if this happens. "

You are not a friend?
Fear me and my neverending sarcasm, you fool.

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:37 am
Ugggh, people like that just make me so so...shameful. To share their beliefs, to share their country, their general region....

Ugggggggh....

Hypocrisy indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:43 am
@emmmahy: Stuff like that can be hard to translate, so no worries.

Heck, every news site spells the name of the holy book of Islam differently. x3 Koran, Quran, Qur'an, Quaran, Quoran...  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:49 am
I am Emmmahy, the Evil Overlord of the Sparkling Dutchman!
I have been known to have a temper, and to blind enemies with my lack of shirt.

" Lol, really? xDDDD "

You are not a friend?
Fear me and my neverending sarcasm, you fool.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:03 am
Yeah. There's lots of sounds that exist in Arabic that we don't have in English, so it's hard to write their words properly in our alphabet. :3  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:47 pm
I shudder to think what would happen if something like this happened anywhere in the Balkans. My brother was part of the penultimate rotation of Canadian soldiers in the UN peacekeeping contract in Bosnia. From what he has said, I think something like this would not start a war so much as re-ignite the old bloody war that has been simmering since that whole Yugoslavia thing in the early 90s. Ethnic cleansing and all that.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 pm
Wow. If some editorial cartoons could set off world-wide outrage, I really shudder to think what this will do. I don't suppose we just ask everyone to ignore these wingnuts and chill out, can we?

No?

Well, ********.

PixiecuTT

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:46 am
Kal...you're right.

Well they don't call the Balkans 'a barrel of gunpowder' for nothing.

This 'Burn the Qouran thing' is going to be bloody.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:23 am
I have always considered book burnings in modern times as a rather ridiculous way of protest. It's not like way back when there was no mass printing and big book burnings could mean the near or even total eradication of a book. These days you first fund whatever you are protesting against by purchasing the book and then you do some quality hating on the environment with the wasteful destruction of all that paper and smoke production. Not to mention the negative health impact on any asthmatics in the area. As a librarian I am also inclined to disapprove of such forms of attempted censorship.

We did hear a bit about this here Down Under. I can definitely understand the concern that the book burning will be used as propaganda to gain support for acts of terrorism and increase the risk for soldiers other seas. It's just such a generally hateful act, too, and I would hardly call it respectful to the numerous people of various creeds and backgrounds who died in the terrible events of September 11. Doesn't the Christian religion supposedly have something to say about all the hatred too? "Love thy neighbour" and "turn the other cheek" and all that? Because I am pretty sure that attacking the beliefs of an entire religious group for the actions of a radical sect would go against that concept.

While they might legally be able to get away with saying whatever they like surely there are some sort of laws that would stop them from starting bonfires in a public area? (Assuming that they do this public to attract as much attention to their cause as possible.)

People like these guys remind me why I am proud to be an atheist.  

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:25 am
emmmahy
Kal...you're right.

We were talking about this in the IRC a little bit.

It strikes me that these people who are planning to burn the Quran take their freedom of speech for granted. Maybe they have no idea what it's like elsewhere in the world.

Using the Balkans as an example... I would guess that if I lived there, and my family had been affected by the war and violence, I would be so grateful for times of peace and stability that I wouldn't want to wreck it by doing something hateful that was likely to start a conflict.

So these protesters are doing this and being arrogant, not even considering that they may get people killed elsewhere, where not everyone has the same privilege that they do.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:38 am
Taeryyn
emmmahy
Kal...you're right.

We were talking about this in the IRC a little bit.

It strikes me that these people who are planning to burn the Quran take their freedom of speech for granted. Maybe they have no idea what it's like elsewhere in the world.

Using the Balkans as an example... I would guess that if I lived there, and my family had been affected by the war and violence, I would be so grateful for times of peace and stability that I wouldn't want to wreck it by doing something hateful that was likely to start a conflict.

So these protesters are doing this and being arrogant, not even considering that they may get people killed elsewhere, where not everyone has the same privilege that they do.

In the what?

I'm waaaaay too young to remember those days, but duh, 'course not. Some people need brains.

The whole of America is going to get s**t for that event if it happens, hell, since they said it would happen I'm pretty damn sure they're getting s**t whether they do it or not.

As for other countries...well I doubt it, it's America that's doin' it so the main raeg center will be focused there.  

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 am
emmmahy

In the what?

I'm waaaaay too young to remember those days, but duh, 'course not. Some people need brains.

The whole of America is going to get s**t for that event if it happens, hell, since they said it would happen I'm pretty damn sure they're getting s**t whether they do it or not.

As for other countries...well I doubt it, it's America that's doin' it so the main raeg center will be focused there.
User Image

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, it's essentially a live chat room that a lot of us pop into from time to time. If you want, I can PM you instructions on how to get in (to save hijacking the thread).

The fact that the whole Quaran burning thing has been announced means that primarily America, but the west in general will be hated even more in the middle east. It's stupid in every sense and I don't understand how the hell anyone could even contemplate doing this without SOMEONE or SOMETHING telling them "Uh, hey, maybe that's not such a good idea..."
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:00 am
You're right, people needs brains. :/ Or they need to use the ones they were given. I imagine that their fellow Americans are going to be as annoyed with them as anyone else.

Oh, and IRC stands for internet relay channel. Kalstolyn maintains a channel for the ATG. If you're ever interested in popping in to chat, it's on the Serenia server, and the room is called #gaiaatg.

All you need is an IRC client (mIRC, Chatzilla, Pidgin, or mibbit, among others). The address is irc://chat.serenia.net. I find the mibbit web client makes it really really easy for newbies.

Here you go

Choose "serenia" from the first drop down, pick a nickname, and type #gaiaatg for the channel.

Edit: Bass got to it before I did. x3 But here's some more about the story:
Here
Apparently the guy in charge of the church doesn't believe that people will get hurt because of the Quran-burning. :/ But that if people do get hurt, it's not his problem, "people need to be accountable for their own actions".

I don't disagree with him on that, but that doesn't make it ok for them to do this, you know? >.<  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

emmmahy

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:02 pm
Thanks guys :'D

Not all Americans are stupid, but those who want to burn the book portray Americans in the stereotype, too dumb to breather don't-care-bout-others manner.

Sooooo...okay that's bull.

Srsly.

So if fanatics kill inocent people it's not PARTIALLY the fault of the dude causing the action that has prompted the fanatics?

WAT.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces