Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Sex and gender in Heaven Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:41 am
T e m p e s t__X V
Shadows-shine
gothic_black_rose
Actually God is referred to as Him and Lord in a way to honor him. It was the same reasons why the angels only appeared as males. You must understand that in the past women were looked down upon and it was considered shameful to be taking orders/guidence from a woman. Plus scripture states that there won't be marriage in Heaven so why would need to reproduce? Also no one brought up transexuals or being faceless. Also God is neither female nor male while a transexual is both. Please get you definitions correct and try not to put words into my post that are clearly not there.

No, God is referred to as being male being He is a male! It has nothing to do with honor or respect or whether or not women had respect in the ancient times. It's plain and simple that God, His Son and the Holy Ghost are males!

I'm sorry, but gothic_black_rose is right, about the reference to God in the 'Him' aspect. It was for respect; just because the scriptures say 'He' doesn't mean he is definetively male. He created man AND woman in HIS IMAGE. That would leave me to believe that he is more than just male.

But as for the rest, I am not sure about, and would love to know. It's not completely important, but it is a good question -- I would like to still be considered female in Heaven. I would also like to believe there is marriage in heaven.

I guess this is another one of the truths that God has decided to keep secret for now. ;D

If God is all knowing and knows every thing about every thing, then why would He have to possess both male and female traits just to successfully create both genders? I'd think that a God who is omnipotent wouldn't need to be both male and female? And how can He be both male and female? Especially since He says numerous times that He is our Father? The Bible never says He is our Father/Mother.

And please note every one who reads my posts: I am not arguing or trying to be rude or mean, I am simply trying to get answers.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:13 am
Saint Crazy The Follower
Kyramud
I guess then, the best answer is that no one knows for sure. The bible doesn't explicitly talk about it.

Sure, a couple times it says that whole 'like the angels' thing, but then again it never says angels have a gender either.

Regardless, it's not worth arguing over. Whether or not we'll have gender in Heaven is inconsequential to the fact that we'll be in Heaven in the first place.

It's these kinds of arguments that only serve to create divisions in the Church, when our focus should be instead on serving our Lord. Regardless of whether or not we'll retain gender, or stay married, we'll be in the presence of God for eternity. That fact right there is more important to me than whether Michael really is a dude, and shouldn't in fact be Michelle...

Amen to this.
I am a sinner... "1 John 1:8"

I second it with a hearty AMEN! Very well put Kyramud!

... Saved by God's grace "Acts 15:11"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Fringie Jester

Hardened Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:28 am
I am in no way trying to be rude when I say this... but why does it matter if God is a male, or female? He is still God, no matter what gender He may be.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:07 pm
I just like to take the logic that when the scriptures are constantly referring to God as He or Him or Father then that means God is male!

I thought the scriptures were to be taken literally, so wouldn't that mean that when God is addressed as being male, that literally means He is a male!

Assuming any thing different would be direct contradiction to the scriptures.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:14 pm
gothic_black_rose
Someoneiknow
gothic_black_rose
Shadows-shine
gothic_black_rose
Shadows-shine
Where is the proof that God and the angels do not have a gender? The scriptures have identified God as being a male. He has identified Himself as a male figure.

So then by the logic that God and the angels have no gender, being a transexual would be next to godliness? Why would we be created with a gender and then be resurrected as an it, essentially a faceless no body? The only difference between the mortal body and the resurrected body is that the resurrected one will be perfect and with out blemish, unlike the mortal one.

Actually God is referred to as Him and Lord in a way to honor him. It was the same reasons why the angels only appeared as males. You must understand that in the past women were looked down upon and it was considered shameful to be taking orders/guidence from a woman. Plus scripture states that there won't be marriage in Heaven so why would need to reproduce? Also no one brought up transexuals or being faceless. Also God is neither female nor male while a transexual is both. Please get you definitions correct and try not to put words into my post that are clearly not there.

No, God is referred to as being male being He is a male! It has nothing to do with honor or respect or whether or not women had respect in the ancient times. It's plain and simple that God, His Son and the Holy Ghost are males!

And do tell where the scriptures state there is no marriage in Heaven? Besides even if there wasn't marriage in heaven or reproduction in heaven, why would that negate humans having gender in heaven?

Transexuals are not both male and female. They are either male or female. No amount of surgery or horomone pills can alter what gender a person is. If a person is born with xy chromosones, it's a guy and if a person is born with xx chromosones, it's a female. Nothing changes that.

I got the faceless nobody because our gender is part of who we are. So if you take away the gender then we lose a lot of our identity. Identity still does matter in the eternities since we spend our whole mortal life building one.

And the only time the Scriptures were specific as to whether or not angels were male or female was when Gabriel appeared before the birth of John the baptist. Otherwise angels were just called messengers of the Lord and their names were not given or their gender was not specified. So, you can't say that angels only appeared as males.

Matthew 22:30 "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."

Mark 12:25 "When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."

Since there won't be marriage in Heaven then there would be sex, the act, because that is infidelity. So because there won't be sex, the act, there wouldn't be any need of us having a sex.

That's one of the other answers that I had but couldn't use when explaining it to her.

For one, that explains that marriage cannot be performed in the resurrection. That does not state that marriage cannot or will not remain for those who are already married.

Where in the Bible does it state that sex is an infidelus act? Would it be because it feels good so it must be bad? Would that mean that eating candy is also a sin? You do not contain logic in your reasoning, only hope of things that you think exists because you state it does.

Sex outside of marraige is a sin which is called infidelity. It's church camp 101. So stop trying to pull stuff out of thin air to disprove me because it is getting really annoying. Plus it is true because scripture states that, and God wouldn't lie.

You just dodged the question. You asked about sex, not sex in certain situations. Clarify yourself before you ask me to clarify you for you.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:17 pm
Shadows-shine
I just like to take the logic that when the scriptures are constantly referring to God as He or Him or Father then that means God is male!

I thought the scriptures were to be taken literally, so wouldn't that mean that when God is addressed as being male, that literally means He is a male!

There is some Christians that believe that the Bible should be taken literally, and some that don't. I myself don't take everything literally... like creation for example. I believe that it took longer than seven days to make everything... I believe that God's definition of seven days could be a lot different than our own.

So I am not saying that God is a female... I also do not believe that He is both genders... But I do believe that He wants to be addressed as our Heavenly Father, so that's what I will call Him.

But what I meant is, let them believe what they want too. It really doesn't matter. Because... some people just wont listen.

Fringie Jester

Hardened Warrior

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:19 pm
The scriptures quote God as being male. It states throughout, He, Him, His, Father, etc. Lord and God are both masculine adjectives. How can it be anymore clear? To assume anything else is DIRECT contradiction to scripture.
In scripture it talks about the church adjusting itself to the world. This is an obvious example of this. Assuming God is female or transexual or nosexual is allowing your ideas to become worldly. You're allowing your belief to adjust to the feminists, the intellectuals, the contempories, gays, etc. Christianity must remain traditional as to how God established the church, otherwise we are conforming to the world which God will not tolerate. I can't even believe this would be a discussion or a thought process through anybody's head. Wondering if God has a p***s is next to wondering if God had sex with Mary, how sacreligious.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:24 pm
Someoneiknow
The scriptures quote God as being male. It states throughout, He, Him, His, Father, etc. Lord and God are both masculine adjectives. How can it be anymore clear? To assume anything else is DIRECT contradiction to scripture.
In scripture it talks about the church adjusting itself to the world. This is an obvious example of this. Assuming God is female or transexual or nosexual is allowing your ideas to become worldly. You're allowing your belief to adjust to the feminists, the intellectuals, the contempories, gays, etc. Christianity must remain traditional as to how God established the church, otherwise we are conforming to the world which God will not tolerate. I can't even believe this would be a discussion or a thought process through anybody's head. Wondering if God has a p***s is next to wondering if God had sex with Mary, how sacreligious.

I personally believe that He is a male, as I said in my last post... But what I meant is, no matter how hard you try to convince others of that, they wont listen. So why argue?

edit: I said the same thing to myself, when I seen this, as you did.
"I can't even believe this would be a discussion or a thought process through anybody's head."

Fringie Jester

Hardened Warrior

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Jester25
Shadows-shine

There is some Christians that believe that the Bible should be taken literally, and some that don't. I myself don't take everything literally... like creation for example. I believe that it took longer than seven days to make everything... I believe that God's definition of seven days could be a lot different than our own.

So I am not saying that God is a female... I also do not believe that He is both genders... But I do believe that He wants to be addressed as our Heavenly Father, so that's what I will call Him.

But what I meant is, let them believe what they want too. It really doesn't matter. Because... some people just wont listen.

It seems that you and I have a lot of the same view points. I take certain parts of the Bible literally, but some only metaphorically.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm
Shadows-shine
T e m p e s t__X V
Shadows-shine
gothic_black_rose

I'm sorry, but gothic_black_rose is right, about the reference to God in the 'Him' aspect. It was for respect; just because the scriptures say 'He' doesn't mean he is definetively male. He created man AND woman in HIS IMAGE. That would leave me to believe that he is more than just male.

But as for the rest, I am not sure about, and would love to know. It's not completely important, but it is a good question -- I would like to still be considered female in Heaven. I would also like to believe there is marriage in heaven.

I guess this is another one of the truths that God has decided to keep secret for now. ;D

If God is all knowing and knows every thing about every thing, then why would He have to possess both male and female traits just to successfully create both genders? I'd think that a God who is omnipotent wouldn't need to be both male and female? And how can He be both male and female? Especially since He says numerous times that He is our Father? The Bible never says He is our Father/Mother.

And please note every one who reads my posts: I am not arguing or trying to be rude or mean, I am simply trying to get answers.

I never said He was both. I made it clear plenty of times that I said He was neither male nor female.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Azkeel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:54 pm
1 Corinthians CH.15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; niether doth corruption inherit incorruption.

(And if you're seriously worried about marriage and sex in the kingdom of God you may want to start worring about more serious subjects)

Marriage is when two become one flesh. And once you die that bond is broken automatically. "Till death do us part" Thus people may remarry after their partner dies. And there will not be marriage in the Kingdom of God. So if by the act of the flesh dying frees us from the bond of marriage and we are no longer given in marriage in the Kingdom of God then there is no marriage.

As for male/female. You may be giving too much power to the flesh and not the spirit. We were made in God's image. Isn't God known as the invisible God in the Testament of Old? Think image as something hmmm perhaps what seperates us from the beasts? And the silly debate on God's sex just wow. Think characteristics? The character of a father figure.

Stop thinking as the world and think of matters in a spiritual sense.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:04 am
gothic_black_rose
Shadows-shine
T e m p e s t__X V
Shadows-shine
gothic_black_rose

I never said He was both. I made it clear plenty of times that I said He was neither male nor female.

I guess I don't understand where that conclusion is coming from especially since He has identified Himself as a male numerous times in the scriptures.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:12 am
Azkeel
1 Corinthians CH.15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; niether doth corruption inherit incorruption.

(And if you're seriously worried about marriage and sex in the kingdom of God you may want to start worring about more serious subjects)

Marriage is when two become one flesh. And once you die that bond is broken automatically. "Till death do us part" Thus people may remarry after their partner dies. And there will not be marriage in the Kingdom of God. So if by the act of the flesh dying frees us from the bond of marriage and we are no longer given in marriage in the Kingdom of God then there is no marriage.

As for male/female. You may be giving too much power to the flesh and not the spirit. We were made in God's image. Isn't God known as the invisible God in the Testament of Old? Think image as something hmmm perhaps what seperates us from the beasts? And the silly debate on God's sex just wow. Think characteristics? The character of a father figure.

Stop thinking as the world and think of matters in a spiritual sense.

That verse in 1 Corinthians has nothing to do with marriage. It's an analogy that Paul is making. He is known for doing that quite frequently.

Marriage is when two become one, yes, but the Bible also says that whatever God joins let no man put asunder. It also teaches that love is eternal. So why would a small thing like death of the physical body make a marriage void? I never said "til death do us part" in my wedding vows. I don't agree with that line, especially since Christ taught that if you marry some one else it's adultery. (Can't remember the verse off the top of my head.)

No longer given in marriage means no one will be getting married, but that in no way addresses those who are already married. There is no verse in the Bible that says there is no marriage in Heaven and that your marriage ends at the death of the physical body. So I don't know how thinking about if there is marriage in Heaven or not is worrying about "worldly matters", but I know there will be. My husband will be my spouse after we die.

As for God being invisible, I don't think that's meant to be taken as literal. God was only described as being invisible because no one could physically see Him at the time. We still don't physically see Him, because we are not worthy to be in His presence at the present time.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:03 am
gothic_black_rose
Shadows-shine
Where is the proof that God and the angels do not have a gender? The scriptures have identified God as being a male. He has identified Himself as a male figure.

So then by the logic that God and the angels have no gender, being a transexual would be next to godliness? Why would we be created with a gender and then be resurrected as an it, essentially a faceless no body? The only difference between the mortal body and the resurrected body is that the resurrected one will be perfect and with out blemish, unlike the mortal one.

I agree with you gothic black rose, that back then they adressed God as Him and Lord. The scriptures were written by man with God's interests in mind, that doesn't mean that what is in the scriptures applies to life now, they were written thousands of years ago. Now we can get essence from God's "word", but I think that God wants us to realize what is right or wrong (which is too deep of a conversation for the moment). I would think that when you die your spirit goes to heaven, and your spirit is formed by your worldly experiences, so you might look man or woman, but there is no need for sex or having an actual gender... Like god puts us on earth and we start out as pure spirits, then we grow and our body shapes some of our characteristics, and then when it is time, what happens with our spirit because of our life on earth with our body depends on Gods judgment and his alone... darn I can't have a discussion like this without including deep terms.... WHY ME? crying

--this is merely my opinion and it doesn't reflect what God's have in mind. God has his own plans--  

a-TAP-in-time123

Desirable Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Befriended 100

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:12 pm
My problem with that conclusion is, regardless if there is/isn't sex, as in the act, in heaven, why remove the gender of a person? That is still relevant to who the person is. And when we are resurrected, our spirits are reunited with the physical body. So we won't just be spirits floating in heaven. We will have actual physical bodies. They will just be perfect and with out blemish, unlike the mortal body.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff