Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
We shouldn't persecute Christians of different denominations Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:20 pm
In reference to my previous comment, There is a difference between rebuking and punishment for wrong doing.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:56 pm
VK Fox
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
1) Different Beliefs Are Inevitable

No matter what, there are always going to be different beliefs. And this is not just in Christianity. It is in most of, if not all areas. You cannot avoid them. It's likely that you believe something that one of your friends thinks is incorrect. Are you going to persecute your friend because they belief something that you don't? Of course not! You are friends and you love and care for each other. Just like Christians *must* love and care for each other.

Of course they are inevitable, but they are also incredibly dangerous. For instance, most of the people who claim to be Christian will tell you that all you need to do to be saved is believe in Jesus and ask Him into your heart. Others will tell you that having been baptized as an infant is all you need. I'll tell you both that you're full of garbage. Only one of us can be right.

So yes, I am going to challenge my friends who teach the Sinner's Prayer or try to have infants baptized. I've done it before, and I'll do it again. I have a standing challenge with any of my friends that if they can show me one instance in the New Testament where somebody was converted by praying the Sinner's prayer, I'll do my best to track down everyone I've ever spoken with about religious matters and apologize to them. I haven't had to do that yet. Yes, they cry persecution and intolerance, but so what? If you study the scriptures, you'll find that the Lord is very intolerant of heresies and false religions. I'll love them while I do it, and one of the greatest acts of love I could show to anyone is to help guide them on a right path with God, and sometimes that hurts people's feelings. Sometimes they cry persecution. It's too bad, but Hell is forever and hurt feelings go away.

Quote:
2) Don't Say Someone Isn't a Christian Because They're Of A Different Denomination

Recently I saw someone say that because someone was a Catholic, and I'm not pointing out any *user*names. Haha. See what I did there? I said "usernames" instead of..."names"...yeah, corny, anyway! There was a Christian who said that a Catholic person was not a Christian (and there was nothing the Catholic said that could give someone the right to say that). He said the Catholic person needed to repent. That didn't really doesn't make sense. Just because a person is a Catholic or Protestant or whatever doesn't mean they aren't Christian. It just means they have a certain set of beliefs. So, to make this known, they give their group a title. How would you feel is some random person said you weren't a Christian? You'd think (or say) "WHAT? What are you talking about?!? I KNOW I have followed the Biblical requirements to become a Christian and this person dares to say I'm not??? How dare they!!!" How do you think people of different Christian denominations feel when you say they aren't Christian just because they're of a different denomination. They won't always get mad. Sometimes they'll become sad and confused. But either way, the feeling won't be positive, I'm sure.

I've attended a few Catholic masses in my time, the most recent being sometime in December. I've studied their doctrines and their teachings. I've studied Mormon teachings. I've been to contemporary churches all over this country. There was even that one time at cowboy church. It's a hobby of mine. I won't say that there aren't genuinely saved people in all these churches, but I will say that they are few and far between, and they aren't saved because of the groups, they're saved in spite of them. Even in my own church, which matches up to the Word of God better than any I've ever been to previously (and that's been quite a few) has only so many people.

We have to teach them. We have to confront them and get them back with God. Yes, we have to do it out of love, and yes, it's generally preferred to do it gently. But you know what? Sometimes gentleness doesn't work. Just look at the Old Testament. God would try so hard to be the gentle voice in the wind, and after so long He would have to do something more like the earthquake and the raging fire.

Quote:
3) Focus On The Main Belief, Not The Others

So many people think that just because people believe certain things or don't believe what they believe, they aren't Christian. However, what people really need to do is focus on the Christian beliefs (The Trinity, God raised Jesus - who took all our sins for us on the Cross - from the dead, etc.). As long as they believe the important things, they're Christian. Sure they may misinterpret things, but doesn't everyone? Besides, not all Christians of their denomination (if they're a part of one) completely follow the beliefs and practices of that Christian denomination. Some Christians may say they're of a certain Christian denomination just because their family is a part of it. When there is a misunderstanding, it is then that we have the chance to help bring them to the accurate conclussion. We don't bash them with facts or anything like that. We just calmly, and respectfully express what we *know* to the other person so that they can get a proper understanding. Then they can teach other people who are mislead as well.

All of the beliefs are important. God said everything He did for a reason, and we can't disregard any of it, or take any of it lightly. Even the smallest cross on a T is binding law.
Let's just make one example of why this is so important.

Jesus says "The Father and I are one."
Someone says, "Well, they're all separate."
Translation - "God lied, I know better."

Sure, some Christians don't follow all of what their denomination teaches. I don't, because I disagree with the elders over how the scripture in question is interpreted and understood. I respect them, but I do challenge their understanding of the passage and I have sat in the pews before church and taught against it. I don't always understand why He asks for what He does. If God asks for something and we aren't giving it to Him, we absolutely have to repent and give it to Him. Even if He was just asking for a little extra sugar in His coffee. There is no one part of the Scriptures that is any less important than the others.

Quote:
4) Never Completely Throw Down Anyone's Beliefs

You never want to copmletely throw down another's beliefs, whether Christian or not. When you do that, you won't be draw them closer to the right answer (or Christianity), but rather push them away from it. When we do that, people think that we don't respect their beliefs. And what will happen when we don't respect their beliefs? They decided not to respect our beliefs. The way you explain the truth to someone could be the 1 thing that could've gotten them into Heaven (or brought them to the right answer), but because you just threw their beliefs straight down to the ground, they ignored what you said. Again, we need to respectfully, and lovingly tell the other person what we *know.*

If you are completely wrong, I will attack the whole of your beliefs. How many times have the prophets or the apostles done that exact same thing? Perhaps it would be wise for us to learn from them. I don't respect their beliefs. Why? Because if you don't have the Father, if you aren't buried in Christ, part of His Church, you will die, and you will spend eternity in Hell. Period. Even something as innocent as Buddhism leads to eternal death. It isn't a game. It's a very real life or death situation in which if you win, you get to spend eternity with the Lord and Maker of all that ever was, is, or will be. If you lose, you burn.

Yes, being nice and gentle has it's place. I'm not saying that it doesn't. Jesus used nice often. But He also made a whip and beat men in the temple until they fled.

Go VK! Your telling it like it is! (: And I disagree with letting people believe whatever the heck they want and be all about "political correctness", and "tolerance", because the Bible has everything we need as far as "religious views" go. Its really simple. We like to make it complicated because we want to go around following what it blatantly says we should do. We try and conform the Bible to ourselves, instead of ourselves to the Bible. And why should we as Christians stay quiet and look the other way when we see someone who is on the path of hell. I mean we should first look at ourselves and make sure were not on the same path, but when we can absolutely know that what someone is saying or doing is not Biblically based shouldn't we speak up? Is it not our duty to do so? Thats the Christian thing to do, not remain silent and let them go on that path. We have only one life can leave this earth at any time, and what happens after this life is permanent. And Im not saying start a massive argument or condemn someone because thats not right either, it will just make them angry and you would be showing pride instead of humble rebuking, but we should do something, even if it is only praying for them.  

Sky2235

Virtuous Seeker

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:16 pm
I really need you all to get the point. You guys are missing this completely. I am not saying stay quiet when someone is wrong. It is right to correct them and it is right to guide them on the right path. HOWEVER you are NOT to persecute them. Persecution will push them further away from God. And if you're saying "Yeah! You go!" on that, that's not good. Do you want people to go to Hell because you were rude?

PERSECUTION DOES NOT EQUAL REBUKING.

Rebuking is correcting someone.
Persecuting is treating someone unfairly for what they believe.

Yes, it is right to rebuke people, but it is WRONG AND RUDE TO PERSECUTE PEOPLE.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:34 pm
This is one of the things saying we should rebuke.
Quote:
When there is a misunderstanding, it is then that we have the chance to help bring them to the accurate conclussion. We don't bash them with facts or anything like that. We just calmly, and respectfully express what we *know* to the other person so that they can get a proper understanding. Then they can teach other people who are mislead as well.

Did you guys even read the whole thing? We rebuke gently, as God always does. What does gently mean? It means gently. Not bashing them and calling them retards or saying "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL YOU IDIOT! REPENT!" If they have followed Romans 10:9-10, they're saved. They are Christian. It's simple as that. I said that the core belief makes them Christian, BUT if they are wrong in other beliefs, show them the truth. Gently DOES NOT mean in a passover-like way. Gently means not rough and rash.

I'm saying don't persecute. Don't call them non-Christian (unless their CORE beliefs say otherwise), or keep them distant. Invite them in with God's love and say "Hey, this is wrong." or "Actually, this is right." I'm not saying don't rebuke, I'm saying DON'T PERSECUTE.  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:29 am
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
I really need you all to get the point. You guys are missing this completely. I am not saying stay quiet when someone is wrong. It is right to correct them and it is right to guide them on the right path. HOWEVER you are NOT to persecute them. Persecution will push them further away from God. And if you're saying "Yeah! You go!" on that, that's not good. Do you want people to go to Hell because you were rude?

Yes, it is right to rebuke people, but it is WRONG AND RUDE TO PERSECUTE PEOPLE.

Lol, I knew it would come to this.
Hence why I suggested posting a definition of "Persecute"

XD

My view on rebuke
Ex: "Stop what you're doing you heretic! repent from your sin (assuming the heretic already knows) and accept Jesus!"
obviously I'm going to an extreme, since I don't think many people have the authority to do that much now-a-days sadly, to show the line between rebuke and persecute.

My view on persecute:
Ex:"You are gay and no one here likes gays! God said we should punish you for that! (Obviously he didn't) You are banned from this church! Fowevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
then continuous attacks and harassment ensues, somebody gets the person's home address and starts throwing eggs at his/her window, yells "SINNER!!!" any time the person is seen on the streets.

There is nothing wrong with telling it like it is, where it goes wrong is when you do it like the latter example.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:35 am
This topic is like telling our Messiah he was persecuting the pharasies for telling them they were wrong...  

Azkeel

Le Pale to the Chief

7,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:21 am
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Cappie v2
No. They shouldn't. But other Christians persecute other Christians anyway. For instance, the urgent message I sent out; other guilds are locking it which is fine, my hands are clean of what they want to do with it, but as far as claiming the Word, and Truth as spam is not fine. People simply do not believe because it's not scripturally 'presented' in the Word, but didn't the Lord say, "That all things are going to have to come to pass?" Things must happen in order for other things to happen. All, I have to say is, I'm glad that I'm persecuted.

Uh...didn't really get what you said but I'm glad you're glad.

Matthew 5:10 - Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

I made an urgent message about the rapture. That is what this post retains to, but I saw this topic about persecution, and that no one has the right to persecute anybody. Christians do not have the right to judge other Christians or persecute another. That is one fine scripture. biggrin

God Bless you Brother!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 am
Green_Fuu
On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Lol, I knew it would come to this.
Hence why I suggested posting a definition of "Persecute"

XD

My view on rebuke
Ex: "Stop what you're doing you heretic! repent from your sin (assuming the heretic already knows) and accept Jesus!"
obviously I'm going to an extreme, since I don't think many people have the authority to do that much now-a-days sadly, to show the line between rebuke and persecute.

My view on persecute:
Ex:"You are gay and no one here likes gays! God said we should punish you for that! (Obviously he didn't) You are banned from this church! Fowevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
then continuous attacks and harassment ensues, somebody gets the person's home address and starts throwing eggs at his/her window, yells "SINNER!!!" any time the person is seen on the streets.

There is nothing wrong with telling it like it is, where it goes wrong is when you do it like the latter example.

Hahah yeah. I figured that since you already put the definition of persecution on there everything was fine...I guess people just quickly posted comments...I should add the persecution vs rebuke part at the end of this forum.

And Though they were good examples, weren't the a bit extreme?  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:10 pm
Cappie v2
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Cappie v2
No. They shouldn't. But other Christians persecute other Christians anyway. For instance, the urgent message I sent out; other guilds are locking it which is fine, my hands are clean of what they want to do with it, but as far as claiming the Word, and Truth as spam is not fine. People simply do not believe because it's not scripturally 'presented' in the Word, but didn't the Lord say, "That all things are going to have to come to pass?" Things must happen in order for other things to happen. All, I have to say is, I'm glad that I'm persecuted.

Uh...didn't really get what you said but I'm glad you're glad.

Matthew 5:10 - Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

I made an urgent message about the rapture. That is what this post retains to, but I saw this topic about persecution, and that no one has the right to persecute anybody. Christians do not have the right to judge other Christians or persecute another. That is one fine scripture. biggrin

God Bless you Brother!

God bless you too! biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:11 pm
Azkeel
This topic is like telling our Messiah he was persecuting the pharasies for telling them they were wrong...

I couldn't have said it better myself.  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:02 pm
We shouldn't persecute each other. The only reason why there are so many denominations is because of language and translation. I can't remember now where, but I think it was before Noah built the arc that people were sinning. This upset God so He made it so that everyone spoke a different tongue so that they could not sin together.

Plus, there also traditions which are followed which may or may not come from the Holy Bible. I know, for example, some concepts in rites in Catholicsm came from church authority.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:22 pm
I'm sorry, but no, thats not right. The (main) reason that denominations exist is because of Martin Luther's grievances against catholicism which he nailed to the door of the church. One of the protestant denominations is called Lutheran after Martin Luther.

As for languages, god crated that to prevent the creation of the Tower of Babylon.  

Gregar828

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:54 pm
A Lonely Leaf
We shouldn't persecute each other. The only reason why there are so many denominations is because of language and translation. I can't remember now where, but I think it was before Noah built the arc that people were sinning. This upset God so He made it so that everyone spoke a different tongue so that they could not sin together.

Plus, there also traditions which are followed which may or may not come from the Holy Bible. I know, for example, some concepts in rites in Catholicsm came from church authority.

Genesis 11:1 - 9 (NIV)

Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.

They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their langauge so they will not udnerstand each other."

So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why was called Babel - because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

As for the denomination part...not sure why they exist. I know that with the Separatists and England they left thinking that the chruch was not right and that they needed to break away from them.

Perhaps the same thing happened with other denominations. People thought a certain group of Christians were wrong and they decided to split from them. I wouldn't say that would be right to do since we are the Body of Christ and God wants us to stick close together. Anyway, that's just a guess as to why there are so many different denominations. Not sure if Christians broke away because of different beliefs...some might have.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:38 pm
YES! Thank god someone else thinks this!  

mynameisjacque

Timid Genius

Azkeel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:21 pm
If you guys think persecution is just argueing and not accepting their view points you're in a big surprise when you do get actually persecuted. Ever get hit for your belife? Ever lose a job for your belife? We're not throwing stones when anyone says they're wrong for what they belive in. And I mean litterally throwing stones. We're allowed to boldly state others are wrong. As for different denominations of Christianity well there is only one true path (As we should belive) so why would we not all debate on it?  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff