Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
KJV, Why are people still saying it's acurate? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azkeel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:46 am
Shadows-shine
I have found errors in all the translations of the Bible, so that's why I tend to double check them against the Greek and Hebrew translations. It makes it easier to understand and brings the verses into context more so.
So then you understand the names Yahu'shua and Yahuwah?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:48 am
VK Fox
Probably because it has a lot of tradition associated with it. If only the scholars had the courage to translate, not transliterate.

I find its language old and difficult to teach. It's particularly difficult to use when teaching little kids. All they hear is these big words and crazy syllables that give me a headache.

As far as translating names goes, I don't have much of a problem with it. I'm a linguist. In English, my name is what it is. In my target language, it's the same thing just with different words. What I am and what my name is has an exact equivalent in the other language.
So there isn't ONE name for salvation?  

Azkeel

rosadria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:54 pm
Azkeel
VK Fox
Probably because it has a lot of tradition associated with it. If only the scholars had the courage to translate, not transliterate.

I find its language old and difficult to teach. It's particularly difficult to use when teaching little kids. All they hear is these big words and crazy syllables that give me a headache.

As far as translating names goes, I don't have much of a problem with it. I'm a linguist. In English, my name is what it is. In my target language, it's the same thing just with different words. What I am and what my name is has an exact equivalent in the other language.

Of course. There is only one name given under Heaven and earth by which men might be saved. Just as there is only one name that means me. But it can be expressed in different languages. If my name in English is Blue, it is Azul in Spanish. They are the same name  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:33 pm
Azkeel
Shadows-shine
I have found errors in all the translations of the Bible, so that's why I tend to double check them against the Greek and Hebrew translations. It makes it easier to understand and brings the verses into context more so.
So then you understand the names Yahu'shua and Yahuwah?

Yes. The first one is the name used for Jesus of Nazareth. And the second one a name for God in the OT. Another word that could be used is Jehovah.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Celeberity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:57 pm
At my church KJV is the MOST accurate
But I heard catholics are changing the bible
Taking out the word 'booty'  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:22 pm
Celeberity

Why is it considered the most accurate though? For the most part, I don't hardly ever read it. It's confusing, uses words that are sometimes difficult to understand, and leaves me with a headache after I put it down. I like my other bibles better.  

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:00 am
Celeberity

I read they are only changing the NAB version.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:03 pm
Kyramud
Celeberity

Why is it considered the most accurate though? For the most part, I don't hardly ever read it. It's confusing, uses words that are sometimes difficult to understand, and leaves me with a headache after I put it down. I like my other bibles better.

That's why the say i's the most accurate, It was created when thwey used words like that, It's college level, or something.  

Celeberity

Azkeel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:03 am
VK Fox
Azkeel
VK Fox

Of course. There is only one name given under Heaven and earth by which men might be saved. Just as there is only one name that means me. But it can be expressed in different languages. If my name in English is Blue, it is Azul in Spanish. They are the same name
I thought Yahu'shua translated to Joshua.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 am
Celeberity
Kyramud
Celeberity

That's why the say i's the most accurate, It was created when thwey used words like that, It's college level, or something.

heh, I'm not saying I don't read it because it's a college reading level (which I'm pretty sure it isn't). Vocabulary isn't the issue, I don't like the way they use the words. If I can read my other bibles that say the same passage of scripture, without archaic uses of words and phrases that just don't make sense anymore, that means more to me than if I go back and read KJV and leave with a headache.  

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

rosadria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:08 am
Azkeel
VK Fox
Azkeel
VK Fox

Sure. But you have to realize there's at least one language between English and Hebrew as far as that translation goes, possibly three. The scriptures spent years and years in Latin, and at the time the New Testament was written they were speaking Greek and Aramaic.
Because we don't speak, read, or write Greek / Aramaic / Hebrew, we have to make do with English. The English word Jesus means the same things the Hebrew word does. We probably could have kept Joshua, but that's not exactly how the development of languages work 100% of the time.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:14 am
VK Fox
Azkeel
VK Fox
Azkeel
VK Fox

Sure. But you have to realize there's at least one language between English and Hebrew as far as that translation goes, possibly three. The scriptures spent years and years in Latin, and at the time the New Testament was written they were speaking Greek and Aramaic.
Because we don't speak, read, or write Greek / Aramaic / Hebrew, we have to make do with English. The English word Jesus means the same things the Hebrew word does. We probably could have kept Joshua, but that's not exactly how the development of languages work 100% of the time.
Yes but if we were smart when translating we would realize how Hebrew works and how our faith works... Meh... I'll let you guys seek your own truth. Yahuwah!  

Azkeel

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:06 am
Azkeel
VK Fox
Azkeel
VK Fox

It can be translated to Joshua because there is no Y sound in Hebrew. Another way of writing Yahu'shua is Yeshua. Plus, some of the english translations have corrupted the word and translated it incorrectly. It just depends on how deep you do your research into the word and it's origin. Plus, Joshua's name means "Yahweh is salvation" Just thought I'd point that out.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:05 pm
I have one in my car.
I think he was a cool guy.

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100

__MochaNeko__TM__

Tipsy Strawberry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 pm
First, I'd like to respond to this, since my response will most likely be shorter and less.. uhm.. angry... :

Shadows-shine

One of the main reasons theres problems with every translation of the Bible is because several of the Greek/Hebrew words can't be directly translated into English. We don't have words that hold the same depth of meaning, or even the same meaning at all, to several of the original words.
For example, in the story of Adam and Eve, we've all been told God put Adam into a deep sleep before taking his rib out. When you look at the original manuscripts and actually take the original words for what they are, Adam didn't just get put into a "deep sleep," it was a state like that of death. Adam wasn't catching some Zs, God had actually caused him to cease functioning temporarily in order to remove his rib to create Eve.

Samuels Fourth Call
The KJV is widely regarded as the one the most poorly translated English bibles in circulation by nearly every Textual Scholar and his Dog. Primarily due to the fact that it referenced so "little" from early manuscripts and relied extensively on the Latin Vulgate.
Added to this it has the prestige of

Containing thirty added verses
Thirty One missing Verses
Two Misplaced verses
Nine Verses not found in the earliest of manuscripts(Though to be fair, these are included in most Bibles the better ones leave footnotes to the effect though)
Fourty Seven incorrect words (each of repeated instances)words Latin and Greek sources
and over thirty general mistranslation errors.

It is in fact such a poor translation, that the Church of England(for whom it was translated) no longer use it, and favour other translations.

Not to mention the whole "Lucifer" debauchle the KJV is single-handedly responsible for.

I am constantly seeing Christian's making the horrific claim that the KJV is an accurate translation or worse "The Most Accurate" translation.

Why does this myth persists, and are there any Christians present that can give some form of evidence to support this claim?

The main thing that bugs me is not the people who think the KJV is accurate. Not those that think it's most accurate, even.
What really "lights my fire" (love how old I can make myself sound by saying that) is people who think that the KJV is the "Only True Version of the Bible."
I'm sorry if any of you turn out to be one of these people, and I know this doesn't sound very Christian, but I will call you dumb to your face. If the KJV was the only true version of the Bible, what about the original manuscripts it was based off of? Are you saying those aren't true? If so, you've just admitted that the KJV is based off of un-godly words, and thus the KJV cannot be the only true version of the Bible.
Also, if you believe that anyone who prefers a different version or even reads a different version of the Bible other than the KJV is a sinner...?! I mean, come on. Try to be logical.
There's a whole group of people who call themselves "KJV-onlyists" who believe this. There's a website, a guy who has a church out in Arizona, etc who all conform to this way of thinking, and they're sick and obviously have some issues...
KJV-onlyist Website
(The website infuriates me. Not to mention, my last bf's church was on their "approved churches list.")
KJV-Onlyist Pastor Steven Anderson
Can you honestly look at these and not be enraged?  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff