Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Quoting Books and Authors Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quotes mean
  Stupidity and weak opinion
  Intelligence and a way to amplify your opinion
  Nothing they're just quotes
View Results

writingwizard89

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:53 am
I think that quotes mean that you are well read and extremely intelligent... it is the person that can't understand what you're saying or chooses not to know that is stupid.... people shouldn't strive to ignorant.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:38 pm
It depends on the type of person you are. if you use a quote as your opinion, it isn't worth it. If you used it to support your opinion, congratulations. It takes a certain kind of skill to distinguish that fine line between the two. But heck, what do I know? What do any of us know? Who's John Galt?  

ferret321

sewing-life alchemist

Aged Codger

4,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:57 am
you do realise that putting a puppy related question makes you look stupid but , quotes are quotes they dont mean your stupid or smart they just mean you have a memory  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:15 pm
It depends on the usage. If you use it in context, then it shows that you have some degree of distinction. It also shows you're well read. Using it out of context still means you're well read, but you can't use the knowlege and don't comprehend the material.  

ferret321

Wolf Spirit62

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:16 pm
Quoting just means you know your stuff and are backing it up...if it's an empty quote that you don't have your own opinions on then it's stupid but if you have your opinion your smart. i just quoted a book and authopr my lst post

Puppies are cute
-Kacy  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:08 am
I love quotes. And puppys. And quotes about, with, or from puppys.

In all seriousness, I think a quote can add perfectly to an arguement. Kenneth Williams once said that "the nice thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive." I agree with him, in that using quotes shows that the person using them at least has some familiarity with the text/person involved, which shows that they're smarter than the average bear.

That's my two cents, anyways. However, I much prefer "random quotes" to make an otherwise lackluster arguement more interesting, and sometimes confusing. So, a random quote for your reading enjoyment.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch."
Orson Welles, US actor & director (1915 - 1985)  

torrinne

ferret321

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:24 am
"Who's John Galt?"
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:42 pm
I must say that I agree with what most of the people here have said, as long as a quote corresponds to the topic and it(the quote) is not repeatedly used, or used as an opinion, the other person is the one who is stupid for not being able to differentiate between how you are using the quote.  

The Emo Biscuit

Wolf Spirit62

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:57 pm
yea, in relation to quotes again. My freind is gonna be talking to me about his beliefs. He's gonna use the bible as a refrence, to show me where gets his information, SO if you know your stuff...quoteing is ok. If your using it AS your argument bad...to support it...Good.
-Kacy  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:19 am
Like most have said already, it really just depends on how you use them. I think they should be used like a strong spice, sparingly.  

Ame Kuro

Mouse it Up

Bashful Shapeshifter

9,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:45 pm
it's not stupid. i keep a notebook of quotes that i think are good. i like to look back on them, and sometimes use them whenever i think necessary. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:09 pm
What if you said a quote that doesn't make sense? If you didn't well the other person is way more stupider. XD  

[P]issed

Darth_Duck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:37 am
Puppies are only second to kittens on the cuteness-scale, with the possible exception of Beagle-pups, they draw level with them razz

As for the quotes thing, that entirely depends on the quote. Is it relevant to the discussion at hand? Does it properly illustrate the point you are trying to get across? Is the quotee a certified madman or not?
If you can answer the first two questions with yes, and the third with no, then quoting does not imply stupidity, just an alternative approach to explaining something. This doesn't automatically mean you're intelligent, but at least you read.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:54 am
sapphire falcon
i think there's a time and place for quotes. certainly, in normal conversation, a witty or profound quote that really accents your point can be perfect. and it's just fun to talk in quotes sometimes. ^^ but personally, i think they shouldn't ever be used in formal papers or speeches.

...Are you serious? It's pretty darn difficult to write a literature paper without quoting what you're analyzing. And formal research papers? Without paraphrased citations, at the very least, you're bound to be plagiarizing.

Quotes are a necessary part of debate, like exclamation points are a necessary part of speech. Both are extremely annoying when overused, but can add weight to an argument when used sparingly and appropriately.  

alicorn01

beaulolais

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:54 am
i don't like it when people fill up their post with cut-and paste

but if you blend in some wisdom of other people with a good dollop of your own reasoning, then that should be fine.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff