Nintendo Wii
View Results

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:42 pm
MasterCarse
Nadian
MasterCarse
Wait a second... We? it wouldn't be pronouced like "We" If It followed that weird english rule I learned in kindergarden. It was like "When 2 vowels go walking, the first one does the talking". So, basicly it would be pronounced "Why"....I think...

Except remember this wasn't made by a primarily-english company... Nintendo is a japanese company, after all. Then again, there are many exceptions to common english rhymes like that, probably because we borrow from so many different languages. Anyways, the best example I can remember is the "I before E except after C" rhyme, with "weird" clearly violating this rule.

In any case, I seem to recall a Slashdot post which had a link to an official Nintendo page (or press release?) which said it was pronounced "wee" ; take me saying that with a grain of salt since I can't find the link for you.

I know, but It was just a random English though. It sorta took me back to my kindergarden days. I miss nap time. crying

You know what, I do too. Every day at work in the middle of the day I've been thinking about how nice a few hour nap would be. crying  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:07 am
Heh. "Wii get this piece of crap?"
Lol, it's not crap though, it's cool. Not the new name, but the system itself is cool.  

Angelic Light Blue

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:28 pm
Angelic Light Blue
Lol, it's not crap though, it's cool. Not the new name, but the system itself is cool.

Yes, undoubtedly there will be many good Sonic games to play on it. Therefore, it shall be ours! Right little brother? Mwahahahaha!  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:35 pm
zphal_girl87
Angelic Light Blue

Yes, undoubtedly there will be many good Sonic games to play on it. Therefore, it shall be ours! Right little brother? Mwahahahaha!

Mwahahahaha!
Um... Yes.  

Angelic Light Blue

Eenuh

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:07 am
So yeah, the new name news (alliteration ahoy!) is kinda old now and I think people have had enough time now to get used to the new name. And I have to say that even though at first I was kinda "meh" about it, that it's now finally starting to grow on me. Since I'm not a native English speaker, the Wii jokes don't mean that much to me (though I do get them, I guess). It has a nice ring to it and I can say that it'll be a lot easier for non-English people to remember and say this name than Revolution was (you have to remember that not everyone speaks English or is that fluent at it). So going for a more universal name was a good move in my opinion, even though it seemed weird at first. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:21 am
The name doesn't really bother me anymore. I'm still skeptical about the controller though. Suppose I'll just have to wait until I can get my hands on one to see if I like it or not.  

Darkness_Personified

5,100 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Angelic Light Blue

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:26 pm
Darkness_Personified
The name doesn't really bother me anymore. I'm still skeptical about the controller though. Suppose I'll just have to wait until I can get my hands on one to see if I like it or not.

Problem solved.
There will be a controller that you can alternately buy that is like a normal controller. And it has been CONFIRMED.  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:17 pm
Angelic Light Blue
Darkness_Personified

Problem solved.
There will be a controller that you can alternately buy that is like a normal controller. And it has been CONFIRMED.

The shell? I think the good news is that Gamecube controllers are still supposed to work. From what I've read of Super Smash Bros Brawl, they (Nintendo?) think people will still be using their Gamecube controllers because the Wii-motes (which can apparently be used to play it?) just don't work as well for this type of game, or something.

Just another of the many things I've heard that pretty clearly state that Gamecube controllers will work on the Wii.  

Nadian
Crew

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:06 am
Nadian
Angelic Light Blue
Darkness_Personified

Problem solved.

The shell? I think the good news is that Gamecube controllers are still supposed to work. From what I've read of Super Smash Bros Brawl, they (Nintendo?) think people will still be using their Gamecube controllers because the Wii-motes (which can apparently be used to play it?) just don't work as well for this type of game, or something.

Just another of the many things I've heard that pretty clearly state that Gamecube controllers will work on the Wii.

Well that DOES sound handy! biggrin

Nintendo does like to do things like that, such as make Gameboy games playable on the Advance, or the Advance games playable on the DS. Really rather friendly and convient if you ask me!

Speaking of which I remember using my Sega Genesis controllers on my Atari. It was much easier than old joysticks. xd  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:36 am
Lol, yeah, that's a lot better than the EXTREMELY stiff joysticks...

They do. Nintendo themself has said that you can play with Gamecube controllers and also use Gamecube memory cards.

...I just hope I can play SA2:B with the Wii controller. That'd be FLIPPING SWEET. xd  

Angelic Light Blue

zentlair

Vice Captain

Dedicated Gaian

10,250 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:39 pm
Angelic Light Blue

They do. Nintendo themself has said that you can play with Gamecube controllers and also use Gamecube memory cards.

...I just hope I can play SA2:B with the Wii controller. That'd be FLIPPING SWEET. xd

Lol, pet your chao by waving around the controller! biggrin

Oh, and get the coconuts off the tree by shaking the controller! xd  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:51 am
zentlair
Angelic Light Blue

Lol, pet your chao by waving around the controller! biggrin

Oh, and get the coconuts off the tree by shaking the controller! xd

That wouldn't work as it's a pre-existing game, but it would be cool to play with chao with that unique controller.

I didn't say "shell" because people UNLIKE you wouldn't know what I was talking about.  

Angelic Light Blue

Bittersweet_3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:45 pm
Actually, I hate to be the odd one out of the bunch, but I like the new name. Sure, Revolution sounds cooler and more X-TREME (Just to let you know, I meant that in a mocking manner), and I did like the name...

I like Wii. It's quirky, it's cute, memorable, and who cares what the system is called as long as it's good? I really do like it. Unique. Stands out.

smile Nintendo's a cute, quirky little company, and I say it fits. Besides, anyone who makes any jokes about it are kind of immature, I say. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:15 pm
I think I read somewhere that one of the reasons the new system was going to be called Wii was to show the fun loving nature of nintendo.  

locke317

zombie_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:50 pm
Personaly I don't mind the name.....but I have heard a lot of people call it the Nintendo Wee Wee.  
"TDX" Tails Doll X - Video-Gaming Subforum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff