27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
maligning
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
and offending others!
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
oh ok, and sometimes complimenting too..
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
but insults are more FUN
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
a safe gold option too..
37%
 37%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 37

Poppetta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:39 pm
rofl you people are coming up with some great stuff!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:27 pm
Tis a great deal of poppycock in this thread eek rofl  

Stargazer Lily
Crew

Tipsy Tycoon

6,975 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Market Browser 100

Trespassers W

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:23 pm
In the category of annoying pearls of wisdom from our parents:

When someone said something could happen if... or any kind of an if... my dad used to say, "If Dog Rabbit." I asked him, at long last, what he meant and he said it was short for, "If the dog didn't stop to piss he would have caught the rabbit." I guess it's kinda like, "woulda, coulda, shoulda."  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:37 am
One of my favorite sayings of late is the "metric assload." Because everyone can have the huge pile of stuff, but to make it metric gives it a little bit of fun weight.  

Gambitpoet

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:48 am
Lil-Jo
Growing up we had a way of twisting words for phrases... catawumpus became Kittywumpus or catacorner became kittycorner...

My grandmother would use a lot of phrases in polish so I really cannot write them down, I couldn't spell them if I wanted to... one of her favorites was (and this is done as phonically as I can remember):

kitchy fross toom doupia sedja (that came out bad)

but the translation was : What in the heck is up your a**...

I think that one of the greatest insulting terms comes from Polish, but I really don't think I can repeat it here, if only because I can't remember the way it sounds. It has to do with calling someone a... ah... well, prostitute for goats, really, that has extra tools for the profession.

But before I taunt the ToS any more, I'd like to add "Sure as Shootin' " to my list. As in, "Sure as shootin', that damn car started up this time." or "Sure as shootin', Harbone got to the refreshments table first and dug right in."

I think the English version of "dig in" is "tuck in," am I right?

Oh, and I also like "Never-you-mind." As in, "Never-you-mind what Jellysundae brought along, Poppetta had a talk with Umberella about your activities at the refreshments table last night, Mr. Pimbpor!"  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:00 pm
How about WhatsIt for items we don't remember the names to, as well as Thingamabob and Thingamajigger.

For people, we have WhosIt and WhatsHisFace or WhatsHerFace.

One I use frequently is What A Huh? A combination of "What" and "Huh" coined from the two most common answer's I get from my children when asking any number of questions.  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Poppetta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:45 pm
eek i'm going to ask my Polish friend on here about that goat phrase!

ooh Lil i love those sorts of words, a couple of English ones are..oojar and oojamaflip, and whatjamacallit.

it's usually a parent thing though, probably because they forget things more lol  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:40 pm
Fine. Ask your friend about Smingus Dingus, too.

And "Tak Hui" which is kind of the Russian equivalent of "Svinehunt" or "Dickface." What's the Polish version?

(Yes, I know that Svinehunt means "Pig Head" Tak Hui doesn't exactly mean "Dickface" either. But, uh, it's pretty close. The Spanish version is simply "Cavron" because Cabesa de Verga doesn't work all that well.)  

Harbone
Crew

Rhiannon2006

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:54 pm
What about "bejabbers"? It's the equivolent to "bejesus."

Example: That roller coaster ride scared the bejabbers out of me!

smile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:14 pm
We could list lots and lots of those exclamations that narrowly avoid saying "Jesus," or "Christ," or "damn," etc. Cripes, jeepers, dang, gee...

What really cracked me up was when I heard something along these lines:
"If you take Jeepers' name in vain, gosh will darn you to heck."  

Trespassers W

Poppetta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:31 pm
well Harbone..my Polish friend wasn't much help with the goat prostitute, but he fell about laughing when i mentioned smingus dingus.

he spelled it differently though, here's what he had to say about it anyway.
Quote:
smigus dyngus is an old let's say "holiday" , it's on the 1st day of april, and it had something to do with girls getting married [in the villages] , basically - u just spray people with water.
it's old, it completely lost it's meaning now, now its just stupid making ppls wet.
i think that if a girl wouldnt be wet on that day, the belief was she would be an old maid (thats how u call it ?)

so there you have it..

a good English word i think Harbone in particular will appreciate is GORMLESS - this sounds better coming from someone with a Northern accent, preferably wearing a flat cap and with a ferret down their trousers too, but it means stupid.
as in...you great, gormless idiot.

Wazzock is another great Northern term, meaning much the same, though wazzock would replace idiot in the example sentence.

So if you get the opportunity to call someone a gormless wazzock do report back on their reaction!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:09 pm
Ah yes, Whatchamacallit ~ we've those here, too, though some years ago Hershey's decided it'd be the perfect name for a new candy bar, thus the term now has double-meaning.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

On another note, my mom was big on the not swearing to the big guy beyond the stars or taking his name in vain... along with his son, so for many years she's been known to utter, "I swear to Buddah" as an acceptable alternative... afterall, she doesn't believe in Buddah. ninja  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Jendaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:22 pm
My ex-mother-in-law would say "I swan" instead of I swear.

I had a high school teacher that always said "Peachy" anytime she liked something. I started saying it and now my youngest says it (as a matter of fact he made that a comment on my profile).  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:56 pm
What a fun thread!

Around here "dig in" means to start eating. As in "Dig in you guys before the foods all gone!"
I "tuck in" my kids to bed at night. (OK, well my two year old anyway, the others I just send off to bed with a kiss and a hug.)

For the longest time I thought goddamnsonofabitch was one word. My mom said it so fast. (And only to inanimate objects, such as a fork falling on the floor... "Well goddamnsonofabitch! Fall on the floor! See if I care!")
Other than that she didn't swear.

My Dad was famous for saying "I'm gonna beat you up one side and down the other." ... He never put a hand on us girls. LoL

Let's see... the pot calling the kettle black. (means you do the same as whatever you are accusing the other person of doing.)

Get off your high horse (don't be so uppity thinking you are better than everyone else)

Hold your horses. (Don't be in such a rush)

When I was young we'd insult people by calling them "Richard Cranium" (d**k Head)

I'll write more as I think of them.  

sisu1969

Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas