Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply JAPANAMANIA (Anime, JTV, Jpop/rock, Manga.)
english dubbing :P Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

1+2=
  4!
View Results

Atypical Mule

Devoted Vegetarian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:43 pm
dub works when anime public target r lil kids
otherwise always original with subs or not
*pushes PLAY*  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:39 pm
Hanami10
What do you people think about the english dubbing of anime?

It could be just me because I always listen to the original, but I think English dubbing for most anime are reallly really painful to listen to.

and that it just screws up the character's personality and image... sweatdrop

so... does anyone else think it's horrible too or am I just crazy? confused

The worst dubs I've ever seen and will ever see are done by 4kids.
Except some of Pokemon.  

FangzV

Toothsome Voter

kailan27

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:02 am
Eww, I hate dubbing. It ruins really good anime. I mean, have you seen FMA dubbed? It's s#!+.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:18 am
I personally prefer English dubs to subtitles, then again I don't tend to watch anything I consider to have atrocious voice acting.

I just find it far easier to empathise with people speaking in the same language and the characters tend to stick more. That and there’s a certain group of voice actors that I enjoy so I'd rather listen to them. After watching the English I find it impossible to start trying to watch it in Japanese so it might just depend on what language you listen to it in first.

Of course companies like 4Kids run around giving dubbing a bad name by butchering things but then I don't make a habit of watching things dubbed by 4Kids.  

Varian_Nearic

Naztakuan

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:40 pm
The only time English dubbing is ever appropriate is when the anime centers around an English speaking culture. Steamboy is just that movie.
It took place in England and it was more appropriate in the dub where the characters had British accents. Also anything that was written and directed for American audiences like all the anime in the animatrix. In japanese, some of it actually made no sense. They botched the translation or something.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:32 pm
Omg... english dubbing is like taking knives to my ears and slowly going back and forth...yeah, it hurts.
I watched Naruto up to episode 45, then i just gave up and went straight to Japanese. Like seriously, after 38573275 times, i'm kinda sick of "believe it!" and Sakura's english voice is.. horrifying.
The only anime its fine in is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, now thats funny. I prolly should have watched Ouran in english too, there were so many one of those "gotta pause the screen to read the pun" moments. LOL ^^
domokun  

Ramen Ry

F a t a l D e c o d e

Tipsy Genius

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:43 am
I really prefer Subs, sometimes, the English versions exaggerate the voices to the point where you can't even pay attention to the plot. Though a few dubs are quite ok, like the Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig. I had to admit that they did a good job on that one.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:08 pm
i say its very painful seeing as how they edit and sometimes rewright everything stare  

Nari Fy Theforsaken

Hilarious Seeker

2,475 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Market Browser 100

xChanel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:35 pm
·..··¨·..·¨··¨···´·..··¨·..·¨··¨···´
Dubbing is death.
If you think it's amazing and pwnsome...
Please. Just go stick your head in a toilet and flush it.

Dubbing ruins the personality, and the voices are never right. The voice actors try too hard and can't get it right.
There's only a few dubs that are decent ((Fruits Basket because in the original Yuki's a girl =/))

·..··¨·..·¨··¨···´·..··¨·..·¨··¨···´

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:53 am
DON'T GET ME STARTED!...Too late XD
I hate 4Kids, and I'm sure that calls themself an Otaku/Fujoshi/Anime Fan hates them too. I feel really sorry for Dan Green(PWNAGE!) for having to work for them for the Yugioh series -.-
What's the point of white washing anime? You see and hear worse things on the News and any other normal program! It seems kinda...racist that they take a Japanese character's name...and change it to a more Americian name. Let's use GX for example;
Yuki Judai=Jaden Yuki Now, why did they just change the first name? So..are they trying to say he's Americian and Japanese? O_o

Marufuji Sho=Syrus Truesdale This one is really weird, I could understand the Sho and Syrus thing..since they both start with 'S's but...Marufuji and Truesdale?!

Manjoume Jun=Chazz Princeton....WHERE THE FACK DO YOU GET CHAZZ OUT OF JUN?! WHERE DO YOU GET PRINCETON OUT OF MANJOUME?!

Marufuji Ryo=Zane Truesdale, alot like Manjoume-kun's name...where do you get Zane out of Ryo?

Tenjoin Asuka=Alexis Rhodes, When I used to watch the dub (ZOMGWTFBBQ?! Lol XD), I used to say "I HATE ALEXIS!" when I watched GX...and my little sister, Alexis heard andstarted to cry. Do you know how bad that was?

Now...let's go for the voices 4Kids have selected;
Judai/Jaden= Matthew Charles, meh...I appreciate him TRYING to sound like a cheerful, laid back character but...WHY!? His voice bugs me now! This guy is obviously too old! Judai starts off as 15, and he sounds like a guy in his late twenties or early thirties...and I know I'm exaggerating with this one. "GET YOUR GAME ON!" and "AND THAT'S GAME!"..lol..can't help but laugh at this one. "Gotcha!" sounds so..awesome.

Jun/Chazz=Anthony Salreno, he sure sounds like a teen. But...his voice is more scratchy -.- It kinda irrates me to hear "Alexis!" and "The Chazz", and..."CHAZZ IT UP!" WTF?!...When Jun sees Asuka, he sounds like a lovesick 'tard, he doesn't even give himself a nickname! He seems to say "Manjoume-san da!" which means "It's Manjoume-san!" and the people mistake it for "Manjoume Sanda" which means " Manjoume Thunder." Evenutally it stuck. So he continued to use "Manjoume Thunder" when he was in Blue, "Black Thunder" when he came back from North Academy and "White Thunder" when he was in the Society of Light, then went back to "Black Thunder"

Asuka/Alexis= Priscilla Everette made her sound young..yes she sounded like a teen, but it wasn't elegant...which Asuka truly is. Everette made Alexs sound like a spoiled b***h. I hate Asuka/Alexis but geez!

QuizillaPrincex

Man-Hungry Puppy

15,300 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100

Sincerely Ophelia

Devoted Sage

8,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:51 am
so it been left upon me to make things clear.

1) 4kids is well-known for "WTF!?!?!" dubbing. but what you people dont get is that the channel is called FOR KIDS, emphasis on KIDS. not pre-teens. not teens. not adults. KIDS. meaning they HAVE TO edit out things that are not KID-friendly. and unfortunately, that means screwing up the anime.
2) why english dubs sound so rotten: in the japamese culture, in anime, you've come to expect certain things, like the squeky voices of fangirls and all girls in general. this sounds fine in japanese. so when you replace it with an unnatural sounding squeky english speaking voice, it sounds retarded. like Ren's voice from Elemental Gelade. well thats a bad example cuz it was actually suprisingly not squeky at all. Oh! the twins' voices from DNAngel!. they were so freakishly annoying. or the blonde girl's voice from Chrono Crusade. does anyone, and I mean ANYONE AT ALL, who speaks fluent English, have a voice like that? no. so when I hear it, I cringe. Sakura's voice, from Naruto, is among the most natural of teen voices that I've heard when it comes to English dubbing. Imagine if you heard the Japanese dub of an American cartoon. I bet you would think it sounded totally retarded because they would be trying to imitate the voices rather than trying to find a voice that just sounds right.
3) Sometimes it depends on which you hear first. Like I was watching the English of Yugioh GX (btw I HATE gx with a firey passion). I thought the voices were perfect. I was visiting Syria and saw it dubbed in Arabic. I was like OMGF!!?!?!?!?! I thought the voices were totally screwed up! A woman was playing Syrus, and my ears were crying. I asked my cuz, doesn't their voices sound just plain wrong? and he was like, no, not at all.

you know what dub really, and I mean REALLY pisses me off? One Piece. The first set of voices were PERFECT. Then they go and change them. I heard their new voices, flipped off the TV, and never went back. One Piece is now a piece of nothing in the trash bin of my mind.

k. well thats all I got to say.

Sweet Days! blaugh
_Secret_Angel_3 heart 4laugh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:17 pm
I like both the Japanese and English versions.  

Skrewdge

Reya Dark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:50 pm
I love English Dubbing because I follow up with Voice Actors and such, however, there are occasions where dubs will suck. I am hoping this doesn't happen when Zero no Tsukaima gets translated and brought over here or i'll be crushed >.<  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:14 pm
I usually start following a series by fan subs, and when it makes it to America I buy the dvds. By that time I'm so used to the way the Japanese voice actors portray a character that the English dub just sounds weird to me. There are a few that are okay both ways, but if one of my friends wants me to give the English version a fair listen, I need to not have seen it in Japanese first. When I first got into anime and a friend gave me a whole series subbed for the first time, it was hard for me to pay attention to what was going on while reading, but now it's second nature.

To each his own, I prefer the original Japanese as a general rule.  

Kogane-Maru

6,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200

buffygen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:06 pm
I don't usually like dubbing but sometimes you get a good one (i think deathnote was done quite well) but often they're shocking
also with dub you don't get the little things what you do if it's subbed, like what title they're using and if they're being polite or not etc. I have learnt some Japanese, but i'm not very good xd  
JAPANAMANIA (Anime, JTV, Jpop/rock, Manga.)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games