Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Get phunkeh thread!! woo baby!! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 20045 20046 20047 20048 20049 20050 ... 20188 20189 20190 20191 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

We need a new poll...
  Yes we do!
  No... we really don't
  Um... Gold?
View Results

Lobo-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm planning on studying languages because I really like them and the linguistics class I took last semester was fascinating. I hope to someday become good enough to go into translation or interpretation.
Buuut... I've had people tell me I should go into international studies since I want to do translation, but no one has given me a satisfactory answer as to why and what it is. If I can't get my adviser at summer orientation to give me a useful answer, I think I'm going to just study linguistics instead of international whatchamahoosits.

I live 3 hours or more away from the college I'm going to, so... Yes, residential living is definitely the only way to go xp I already have a roommate picked out though, as long as we get along. We've been okay as friends since we broke up, I guess... I just hope the people around us are okay to deal with so I don't have to try to be vicious. I'm not good at that sad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Linguistics would be really interesting if I could actually learn a second language... I'm awful at remembering grammar structures in other languages. That's what you get for having the b*****d language as your first language. Stupid english and it's terribly awkward phrases.

penned ignorance

Lobo-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:11 pm

English is my first language, too, Penny xp
Hmmm... Yeah, being able to remember the function of the grammar is very important to learning another language. So far the hardest part of Japanese has been remembering the kanji and... Well, pronunciation sometimes. The grammar hasn't been too bad so far, though.
Linguistics is really cool because it examines both the things that are similar between a bunch of languages and the things that are unique to each heart
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Studying Linguistics =/= studying languages.
It's the study -of- languages and how they work and how people use them, rather than actually learning a second/third/nth language.
>__>
[/semantics rant]

Lobo: I would suspect international studies is ... like, languages and politics or something? Just, that's what "international" brings to mind for me.
Wikipedia says "International Studies (IS) generally refers to the specific University Degrees and courses which are concerned with the study of ‘the major political, economic, social, cultural and sacral issues that dominate the international agenda’."

Residence:
I live about an hour and a half from school, but I also don't drive, and there's no public transport between here and there, so rez life for me :/

YunieCookie

Silent Star

17,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Conventioneer 300

Lobo-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Huh... Homestuck is pretty confusing, yet I'm still managing to follow (more or less). I'm not sure if these trolls are good or bad xp

G'night all. I'm heading off to bed.
Guh, it's so late. Why am I even up? xp
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:09 am

A translator would have to have a good working knowledge not only of conjugation and the vocabulary of a language, but also its idioms, and the subtle differences in meaning between words that are technically synonymous.

The word "plain" is neutral when referring to a piece of paper, but kind of insulting when referring to a woman. At least in English.

Semi-related: When I was younger, we had a family friend who was from Ghana. One time after church, he was greeting a girl he knew, Sarah, and he said, "Oh, it's good to see you! My, you are looking fat today!"

>__> Sarah was quite upset, but apparently in Ghana, to say someone is looking fat means that they look healthy and happy.

Also: My university was 8 hours away from my home town, and sort of in the middle of nowhere. So, yeah. I lived in residence. x3

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Lobo-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:18 am

Yeah... I'm going to try to get into one of those programs where you go live overseas and teach English after I graduate from college. If I spend a few years abroad, that should really help my language skills and hopefully I'll catch on to those idioms. Idioms and slang and stuff are weird even in your own language if you stop to think about them... Like "this cake is s**t" vs "this cake is the s**t". I totally don't get that, though I understand what's meant xp
Aaaand... teaching English would be a way to have an income while doing all of that. Heehee ^.^;

I have eaten too many cookies in the last 24 hours. They were delicious, though =x
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:04 am

penned ignorance
And as for figuring out what you're doing... that's not always true of Canadian schools. I'm so unaware of what I'm doing right now it's insane. But I don't want to take a year off...

wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance BWOOOOOOOOP!!! BWOOOOOOOP! PHUNKEH PASSWORD ALERT! PUNKEH PASSWORD ALERT!!!! This weekend's password was "Take" and you were the first to use it. The words "Taken and taking" were used and if you hadn't said "take" then the first person to use a variation of "take" would have won the jackpot. But....YOU USED THE WORD FIRST! HUZZAH! Pandas have been dispatched to deliver your prize wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance

Kyla_Ewens
Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:54 am

Way to go, Penny!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Yay for Penny!
Finally, someone got it xp

Lobo-chan

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:21 pm

This is possibly the most active the thread has been in awhile. >_>
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Haha wow I wasn't exepecting this! I want to thank my mom, for being supportive, and...
xD Yeah... but wow... I really wasn't expecting to win the jackpot. Woo for winning something! biggrin

penned ignorance

Kyla_Ewens
Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:50 pm

wink See? It's just that easy. Admittedly, I tend to pick slightly tougher words when the jackpot is low, but mostly I pick words that are fairly common. And now you're 10k richer.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:58 pm

There's lots of pretty, pretty ones that wanna get you high. But all the pretty, pretty ones will leave you low and blow your mind sad

Anyways... I got a bunch of temporary tattoos from a vending machine at the grocery store yesterday and I've had this flaming skull tattoo on my chest/collar since last night... And I've had quite a few people ask me if it was real or henna xp It amuses me greatly.

Lobo-chan

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Finding eggs is hard gonk
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 20045 20046 20047 20048 20049 20050 ... 20188 20189 20190 20191 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games