Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply The Vault
Time For Voices To Be Heard Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

It's quiet... Too quiet.
True.
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
False.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Africa.
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

Xanatos Forever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:46 pm
I keep hearing a lot "get rid of (insert subforum here)" and probably even more "bring back IDD"...I look at the subforum list, and there's only three of them. That's a hell of a lot less than other guilds I've been to. Basically what I'm asking is this, which might or might not be a way to make everyone happy.

Seperate the RP and Games in their own individual subforums, and bring back IDD

That makes a total of five subforums, which is still very few when compared to other guilds...Is that really such a bad idea? confused

As for the mod issues, both the ideas of member nominations and peer review I agree with, and don't really have much more to add on the subject. So yeah...that's all I've got for now...  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:52 pm
Well, as others have said, when subforums were added, guild activity went down. That's just the way it works. People don't like to go in them to post...they generally just check out the main page then leave. So, fewer subforums = more activity.  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Xanatos Forever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:54 pm
Alarias
Well, as others have said, when subforums were added, guild activity went down. That's just the way it works. People don't like to go in them to post...they generally just check out the main page then leave. So, fewer subforums = more activity.

eek ... sweatdrop I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to hear about that level of laziness...but yeah...WTF is all I can say to that... neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:57 pm
Xanatos Forever
Alarias

eek ... sweatdrop I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to hear about that level of laziness...but yeah...WTF is all I can say to that... neutral

Yeah...I've been in some guilds with like 10 or more subforums and like noone posted ever...it's a hassle going through that many links to post something so, they just didn't bother.
Subforums are good but, should be kept to a minimum to avoid that...at least, in my opinion.  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Xanatos Forever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:00 pm
That makes sense 3nodding It was only a suggestion, after all... ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:07 am
people should be mobbing Gaia to get them to put something on the listing of subforums showing when the last post occurred in that subforum, and on which thread. I don't go into the Market subforum, for instance, because I got tired of seeing if anything had been updated. I rarely go to the games subforum because games ARE NOT the most important part of this guild. I'll pop in once in a blue moon to see if one of the more interesting threads has a new post.

IDD should have its own section. Contrary to the beliefs of a couple of our guild members, debate and discussion are not the same thing, and having a designated area for debate would make me a little bit more active because I wouldn't look at a thread title and think "oh someone has probably hijacked this into a debate and insulted the OP and therefore created a buch of useless Dwama" before scrolling down the list.

There are not enough RPs to warrant giving them their own subforum, in my opinion, Xan. They seem to be in the appropriate location with the games.

People who are know dwama-makers and attention whores should not, under any circumstances, be permitted to be mods no matter how "popular" some people might think they are, unless they can prove they have the ability to control their prepubescent girl urges. Less politikz and dwamatikz, more intelligent discourse.

That is my four cents. It's a little more than two. Feel free to kick me in the head now.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Xanatos Forever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:12 am
*readies a boot to throw at Kals's head, then changes his mind and throws one at Jenny...and one for the wimp xp *

You have some valid points, Kals, but I happen to disagree with you on the statement that RPs aren't in such numbers to allow them their own subforum. Though the games do tend to be more popular, the fact is that the majority of the RP/Game subforum are RPs, some that have taken off, others that got somewhat buried before anyone bothered to take a good look at them. So there's my rebuttal, so get your boots ready, folks! *puts a large targe mark on his head* :p  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:48 am
MONTHLY STATUS REPORTS!!

I noticed something when reading Ladi's post: mods under the radar. We members (as opposed to crew) of the ATG have no idea what is going on behind closed doors in terms of conflict resolution, planned improvements, etc. Maybe the mods could have some sort of regular report that details (as much as would be appropriate) what goes on beyond the reach of the rest of us. Who has been locking/deleting and how much? How many people voted on an issue? Is there a new special event in the mix for us?  

Indigo Project

caffeine add!ction

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:01 am
A lot of this has probably already been mentioned but I only just noticed this thread today. n__n;

It doesn't look like there are enough rps to make a roleplay sub-forum to me ( and role playing is like a game anyway so I don't see the problem with it staying in the games section. :/ ), but I like the idea of adding In Depth or Debate ones. That way those of us who actually want to be serious or debate with one another can do so there without pointless or stupid comments like 'lolz i dun no' etc. 'Cause over the past several months there have been the obvious complaints from oldbies about the ATG having dumbed down a lot. If there were separate forums for in depth stuff, then hopefully what idiots there are would just stick to spamming the main forum. ( Though I do wholly agree about keeping sub-forums to a minimum. I'm guilty of almost never checking guild sub-forums too, so. xD )

For members helping with cleaning up, there could be a thread where members can post links to threads that break the rules or need looking at by a mod. It's a fairly obvious idea, but it'd give regular members more of a chance to help out.

Moderator revision would probably be helpful. I see some mods more than others and I think there's a couple who I've never seen posting around at all. :/ Promotions, demotions, whatever. Whatever staff there is should also be taking more time to sift through member applications and such, even if it is a hassle.

I think member nominations are a good idea, however everyone would have to be careful. I've been on a lot of sites and owned a few where if the members are ever given a chance to vote about anything, they will often just choose their friends as opposed to who actually deserves whatever the vote is for, and it can just become a popularity contest. Screening for some level of experience or whatever from member nominated mods would probably be a good idea. >>; I know mods are supposed to be there to be friends as well as staff, but I'd rather have a moderator who no one likes who actually knows what they're doing and is good at it as opposed to having a moderator who everyone loves but is crap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:10 pm
I suggest that we have different mods deal with different situations. Like, if there are a few guild members having a hearty discussion (or argument) and it turns ugly, tell them to take it to PMs. Don't allow them to take it to ANOTHER MAIN THREAD.

>__O;;  

La La Leprosy

Dangerous Raider

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:18 pm
`Mayako`
I suggest that we have different mods deal with different situations. Like, if there are a few guild members having a hearty discussion (or argument) and it turns ugly, tell them to take it to PMs. Don't allow them to take it to ANOTHER MAIN THREAD.

>__O;;

We do tell members constantly to keep personal conflicts private...but, sadly sometimes people just don't listen.
As for different mods dealing with different issues...well, I'm not quite sure what you mean. We do assign certain mods to some tasks. However, there are some things that any of us can take care of if need be. This allows for a better chance at resolving problems faster. For example, if you assign one mod to the task of handling member disputes, then what happens if that mod is offline and a fight breaks out? Things would get out of hand rapidly most likely. So, sometimes you can't rely on just one mod for a task to be completed.
But, as I said, there are certain tasks that can be assigned and they are to help keep things running smoothly.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:26 pm
Indigo Project
MONTHLY STATUS REPORTS!!

I noticed something when reading Ladi's post: mods under the radar. We members (as opposed to crew) of the ATG have no idea what is going on behind closed doors in terms of conflict resolution, planned improvements, etc. Maybe the mods could have some sort of regular report that details (as much as would be appropriate) what goes on beyond the reach of the rest of us. Who has been locking/deleting and how much? How many people voted on an issue? Is there a new special event in the mix for us?

I believe we used to have something like that...the ATG news thingy...but, it was neglected...and had to be taken down.
As for telling information about who's locked what...well, a good deal of the time whichever mod that locks it makes sure to state the reasons for the thread being locked. This is done in hopes that the OP will notice the reason and learn from it. So, that information is pretty public as it is.

However, I do like the idea...I think it's definitely worth considering.  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

CR Kyrie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:22 pm
Okay, I'm not a veteran of the ATG, nor do I have all that many suggestions, but I do own a guild (only 210 members, but it's been growing for a year or two now) and I've been looking at other guilds to see what's popular about them.

My comment here has nothing to do with that.

Instead, I'm addressing the various suggestions that come with the area of the RP/Games subforum. I spend more time in that subforum than I do in the main forum, to be honest. I have a thread that I started and about five other threads that I'm active in. If I see something on the front page of the main forum, I'll check it out, but it's rare that anything actually catches my attention.

Maybe if we could put one or two games in the main forum to 'break the ice' (to use the phrase that's been jumping around), new members would post there, and eventually branch out to the other topics. I'd be willing to donate my time to keeping the thread going, though I have no doubt it will be whether I help or not.

I like the idea to change the Marketplace subforum into the IDD. I never go in there... okay, I did one time, but I haven't really cared to go back. I've never really understood the point of it (though I can see how artists could use it).

Or! We could just make another subforum that encourages members to show off what they're good at, whether that be creative writing, poetry, art (which would move the art salespeople), music, or anything else. You could bring in a lot of artistic members with that.

IN CONCLUSION... all of that up there? Yeah, that's what I think on the subject. I'm glad you made it down here, and thanks for reading mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:55 pm
Can I suggest whatever changes be made, be done gradually? I just think it is better to ease members of the guild into the new changes, whatever the mods decide they will be, than give the ATG a bit of environmental shock by doing a bunch of changes all in one swoop.

It would give the rest of us some time to adjust to the shifts being made, even if you just space the changes out by so many days. Just a thought.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:23 pm
Thaliat Everwood
Can I suggest whatever changes be made, be done gradually? I just think it is better to ease members of the guild into the new changes, whatever the mods decide they will be, than give the ATG a bit of environmental shock by doing a bunch of changes all in one swoop.

It would give the rest of us some time to adjust to the shifts being made, even if you just space the changes out by so many days. Just a thought.

Well, considering the time it will take to make the changes, I'm sure there will be spaces in between the transitions.
Some changes though are going to be more sudden probably...because there may not be a way around it...but, I don't think you should worry too much about that "shock" smile  
The Vault

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff