Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "SEF" Sports, Exercise, and Fitness~!
Help me out, please! I'm trying to get in shape Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PetitCharatChan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:53 am
I've been having trouble with this lately too. I've gained 5 pounds in a week from stress eating! But last summer I lost 15 pounds so I'll share my tips.
I joined Tai Quon Do. At my studio at least, it was a 1 hour very intense workout (it's mostly adults there, it's not a babysitting-with-martial-arts class). I worked at a sub shop too so I had a free 6 inch sub every day at lunch, and cereal for breakfast. Dinner was just whatever my parents made. So my calorie intake was pretty controlled, and I was working out 2 or 3 times a week, plus working on my feet at a job all day. Losing weight takes time and patience. A young lady my mom works with just lost 78 pounds on the adkins diet, but it took her several months and a lot of dedication, that diet takes a lot of commitment (I sure couldn't do it I love my pasta!). Find a program that is doable for you and find a trainer or a support group; someone who will help you see your goals through. Even if it's a friend it'll help, but they can go soft on you sometimes.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:56 am
Illefyia
deppfan
Also, try getting some friends or family to do this with you. The more people that work together for a common goal, the more they motivate each other and make the experience more enjoyable. I work out with a group of 7 other people, 6 days a week. If it weren't for the group dynamic, and I had to go it alone, I know I wouldn't have lost anywhere near as much as I have. (30 lbs in 6 months)

Yeah, that's a problem with me. I'm going it alone, and it's really hard to stay motivated sometimes. My family pretty much doesn't care. The only person that's semi-helping me is my sister - she'll go on walks with me sometimes.

Wow, 30 lbs in 6 months?? Bravo! I guess that's proof that the group dynamic really does work because I've only lost 15 lbs since I started in January... crying And it really hasn't made that much of a difference either... crying

lol, and I totally agree with CRAZY - your username ROCKS! xd

15 pounds is better than nothing though! I tend to get stressed, like, "I only lost 3 pounds!!!" and than eat it all back again with more. Don't get discouraged!  

PetitCharatChan

Pandaccino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:45 am
cardio is mazing for weight loss, and run, PUSH yourself! seriolsy! biking is also good, if you need to commute somewhere close, ride a bike, its exercise and you don't even count it during your time! watch calories like ur doing kno, and dont eat anything potentially fattening, this may sound crazy, btu when you get that coffee, make it a small.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:10 pm
Drukken
I used to be overeight when I was in my early teens... and suffered a lot beacuse of it. I'm 28 currently, and I can say that losing weight is something to feel good about, but not something to be overly proud or become narcissistic. I tried diets and they worked... for a while. I usually rebounded when, after 3 months of steady weight loss I became tired/discouraged or simply bored and wanted to eat as I usually did.

I learned the hard way: You need to comprimise and change both feeding habits and excersise to change your body. As some fellow Gaians stated above: the key is making it fun - give yourself short term goals and for heaven's sake, chose a sport that's fun and not stressful. I goy into Soccer but became quicly bored, swimming was good but expensive and finally I ended up in martial arts. Capoeira (a brazilian system of fighting and dancing in a game-like mood) was perfect for me, I done a lot of friends there! you should above all seek for the method that adjusts to you, not try to adjust yourself to a system.

Also: Here's a nifty webpage that can help you get started if you are short on money or too far away from a gym or sport field: One hundred push-ups (don't be scared of the title LOL)

keep us posted on your progress and here's hoping you get motivated to be healthy! *hug* smile

Thanks a lot for that link to the hundred push-ups challenge. I'm going to try it out!
And thank you for all of your advice and helpful information. I recently got a bike, so I enjoy going cycling most evenings for about half and hour. Does that count as a sport? lol
I'm also interested in tennis and badminton, so I'll look into getting back into playing those. 3nodding
Again, thank you so much. *hug*  

Illefyia

Illefyia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:19 pm
Arriana_lynn
If you go to Walk away the pounds website it has a ten day challenge. I have already lost 6 pounds and I am on day 8. I am overweight too and I would definintely recommend walk away the pounds, it is a great walk program and I have already seen great results.

Can you provide a link to the website? I did a Google search but I don't think I'm finding the right one...

And thank you PetitCharatChan and Princess Mahii for your posts! Very sound advice, both of you. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:19 am
OMG IK what you mean I had a friend like that who looks so skinny now just from working out (Rollerderby) and eating the right foods  

Rokvothzin

Prophet

7,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100

Illefyia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:50 pm
Okay...just a little update thingie...

Currently, I'm at 132 lbs. My goal? 120. The problem? I've been stuck at 132 for like 3 and 1/2 weeks! sad

I haven't been eating excess junk, I've been watching my caloric intake, and I've been making sure to get at least 25-30 minutes of excercise per day (usually more, though). I generally lift weights for 20 minutes every other day, go cycling or walking every day (25-35 minutes), and sometimes throw in a 20-30 minute session of badminton once or twice a week. I'd play it more, but I have to have a partner, and she's not always available. sweatdrop

So....what am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me? I know plateaus are practically unavoidable when it comes to losing weight, but I've been in this one for so long that I'm starting to get upset and depressed. Advice much appreciated...  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:34 pm
During the summer I walked a mile to go to a bus stop and go to school I do that sometimes.
lolz.
But I ate only sunflower seeds each day. And I lost some weight But I gained back plus 1 more pound.
I stopped eating junky food and stuff.
But I still have my weight!
xC I hate being fat! I can look at my self in the mirror with my stomach hanging out all the time!
I need to use exercise!  

[Shiro Petto]

3,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Junior Trader 100

Illefyia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:48 pm
[Shiro Petto]
During the summer I walked a mile to go to a bus stop and go to school I do that sometimes.
lolz.
But I ate only sunflower seeds each day. And I lost some weight But I gained back plus 1 more pound.
I stopped eating junky food and stuff.
But I still have my weight!
xC I hate being fat! I can look at my self in the mirror with my stomach hanging out all the time!
I need to use exercise!

Well, having to walk a mile practically every day was a good start, you know. 3nodding
Eating only sunflower seeds...not so much a great idea... sweatdrop Though, I, too, eat them a lot...I love nuts/seeds/etc. whee

At least you recognize that you need/would like to change! That's the first step to actually doing something about it. biggrin
When I decided I was tired of being fat, I started going on walks every evening, always shooting for 30 minutes. It was tough to make myself get up and get out every night, but I did it. Now, when I don't go on a walk, I feel guilty. If you need any help or advice or motivation or anything, I'm here. I don't know how much help I'll be, but...you know. Just in case. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:12 pm
But I did lose weight. xD It was awesome! Till my mom cook food then I gained them back T-T sweatdrop  

[Shiro Petto]

3,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Junior Trader 100

woodchucked

Liberal Sophomore

1,850 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:01 pm
The worst thing you could do is skip meals! Try to eat 5-6 small meals a day and balance your diet. You know, 3 portions of fruit a day or whatever. Get a friend to work out with you so it motivates me more. I know I always try harder when there's other people there because I push myself. Remember, you'll never get better unless you push yourself! Good luck!

Edit: Don't eat right before you go to bed either.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:23 pm
My advice is probably terrible...but I don't eat breakfast, if I do its not more than a granola bar. Lunch is a sandwich on whole wheat bread with as much grain as possible. Skip the cheese and mayo, its wasted fat. Stay low on the meat and stack on the veggies to your liking. Lettuce is actually negative calories, meaning its more work to digest it then it puts in your body. Running twice a day helps, try to fit in an intense part somewhere in your running to get your heart pumping. Aim to get in good physical condition first then worry about weight. Usually you start dropping pounds in the process. Start at like 1 or 2 mile runs. Then when you feel good with that, trying either bumping it up a mile or two or sprinting for quarters of those miles. Continue to advance in some pattern until you get to about eight mile-ish. Then I'd suggest start running for time. It'll build up your muscles and lung capacity. One note, don't be afraid to eat while exercising. Your body needs the nutrients. Just make sure its moderate and good for you. Oh, and about the third week of any intense running routine, don't run, but ride a bike or swim. Its a high injury rate period of time. Good Luck!!! Don't know how old this thread is so.. yeah...  

HrtBrkr

I~kira~kira~I

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:59 pm
good job on giving up soda and junk foods. that's a big step for plenty of people actually.

anyways have you been doing it for a few years, months, days? if you're just starting and tried it but gave up in the end, don't start everything (diet, exercise) at once. it may be too much to handle. so start off with drinking water, lots of it. then when that is done, start eating more fruits and vegetables in your meals. if you are terribly hungry between meals, eat some more fruits and vegetables but the right amount and not too much. also start your exercises with walking. just walk around the neighborhood.

when you feel comfortable with that routine, you could make it have heavier exercises and even more healthier meals to go with your fruits and vegetables and start dropping more junk food from your diet. i was a little overweight but when i started slowly and gradually more, it worked.

it wasn't my idea, i found it somewhere, found it reasonable, tried it, feeling healthier. this worked for me so maybe it will work for you. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:59 pm
well ok my mom's in the medical field and i've been research ways to maintain a health weigh and a few things i've found are:
that you have to eat enough cals that you're body has enough engry so dont go overboard with the counting cals or your body will swich to straving mode and start breaking down your muscle tissue and storing it as fat for engry

Another is you shouldnt really be afraid to eat carbs you should just watch for empty carbs which are the ones with no nutrients like peanut butter is very good for you even though it has a very carbs 1 tablespoon of peanut is " Calories 94.9
Total Fat 8.2 g
Saturated Fat 1.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.9 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 74.7 mg
Potassium 107.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
Sugars 0.0 g
Protein 4.0 g
Vitamin A 0.0 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 3.6 %
Vitamin C 0.0 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 8.0 %
Calcium 0.6 %
Copper 1.1 %
Folate 3.0 %
Iron 1.6 %
Magnesium 6.4 %
Manganese 3.6 %
Niacin 10.7 %
Pantothenic Acid 1.3 %
Phosphorus 5.9 %
Riboflavin 1.0 %
Selenium 1.7 %
Thiamin 0.9 %
Zinc 3.1 %"

it contains vitamins and nutrients that are very good for you which when you're getting the vitamins you need your body wont crave anything so you're less likely to overeat

another thing is that you should eat 4-5 maybe enough 6 meals a day and that you should not skip breakfast your body hasnt eaten for 8 hours after you've slept it needs food and water and when you do skip breakfast you normaly end up eating more during the day and having less engry

as far as exercise goes i would say strength training (which helps build muscle that burns calories so they wont be stored as fat and you will not bulk up if you use weights women do not have enough testosterone to create that much muscle mass however you will get stronger) 2-3 times a week for a beginner is good you said you dont have much to work with well then do Back Extensions, Crunches, wall push ups and/or Modified Pushups, leg curls (just lay on your stomach and curl your calfs toward your butt) and Reverse Crunches. then for cardio try walking jogging jumpjacks dancing anything that gets your heart pumping for at least 20 minutes.

i have a site that might help you pm if you want it i hope this helps if you have any questions i'll be happy to anwser them (i dont know if this would be confusing or not) sorry if this is to long good luck ^^  

Leemay

trend kitty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:09 pm
last summer i lost 20 pounds in like 3 weeks.
i only ate like two or tree 30 calorie rice cakes a day and fruit.
it was painful!  
"SEF" Sports, Exercise, and Fitness~!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces