Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Something I am trying - I hope it works Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yay?
  Yes
  No
  HEADCRAB!
View Results

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:23 pm
Metalic_Noodles
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
Exmu used teh scary pills? eek

What can I say? You do what it takes to get it done.

Besides, I've used weirder medications.

I don't wanna, but I gotta ask... Care to elaborate?

~Metalic_Noodles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risperidone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technetium-99m
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valproate_semisodium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxcarbazepine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextroamphetamine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondansetron
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citalopram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanfacine

Eh, just some things I could think of off the top of my head. Hard to remember the names of some of them. >.< I underwent ALOT of treatment for various things when I was younger.

O.O
That first one... what were you taking it for? ._.
Ah, never mind. From looking at the others I assume you just have/had a sever case of bi polar, or you were quadruple-polar.
Oxycodone, a serious pain killer from the looks of it. I don't think I want to know why you needed it.
Dextroamphetamine appears to be a super-coffee pill. o.O

Your parents must have either had a fun time raising you, or drugged you up so that you couldn't do much. o.o

First Pancake
i swear i posted in here about scars not being just vanity, and how deformity in psoriasis has lead to 30% of all patients having suicidal ideation...what happened to my post gonk

Psoriasis? Really? o.O

My uncle was flaking huge, hard, raft-sized flakes a few years ago, and apart from my mom (his sis) bugging him that he needed to see a doctor he was fine, and had fun grossing me out. I didn't know psoriasis scared, unless it's from picking/scratching at the affected spots.

~Metalic_Noodles

Im pretty sure it can lead to scaring. Either way, it can be pretty disfiguring, same as scars might be for ppl  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:30 pm
Metalic_Noodles
O.O
That first one... what were you taking it for? ._.
Ah, never mind. From looking at the others I assume you just have/had a sever case of bi polar, or you were quadruple-polar.
Oxycodone, a serious pain killer from the looks of it. I don't think I want to know why you needed it.
Dextroamphetamine appears to be a super-coffee pill. o.O

Your parents must have either had a fun time raising you, or drugged you up so that you couldn't do much. o.o

In third grade I went to a psychiatrist for the first time, after my parents realized that my short temper was a bit more than child's fits, and the fact that I often had trouble focusing on homework. I then underwent a psychological evaluation, and a series of tests where they monitored my EEG that I am still clueless about, and have no idea what they were actually for.

To date, I have been diagnosed with:
Bipolar disorder
Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Attention Deficit Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

I took ALOT of medication up through late in highschool, at which time I was only taking Guanfacine, after dropping Citalophram and Prozac. Unfortunately, my depleted aggression at that point made me highly antisocial, as I'd simply ignore or avoid people. Guanfacine was one of those medications that could really rob you of your ability to want to do anything at all.

But since highschool, I haven't been taking any regular medication at all. College left me at a bit of a mental discord, as I realized how much I'd changed, and that everything wasn't as one sided as I thought. Time to re-define myself, I guess. It makes some parts of my life, such as religion, hard to re-figure out.

To stay relevant to the topic, there are plenty of worse things to take than isotretinoin. If you can afford it (several hundred a month without insurance ._. + lab fees for the mandatory blood tests to actually take it), it's completely worth it to cure acne.  

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:01 pm
Exmucane

In third grade I went to a psychiatrist for the first time, after my parents realized that my short temper was a bit more than child's fits, and the fact that I often had trouble focusing on homework. I then underwent a psychological evaluation, and a series of tests where they monitored my EEG that I am still clueless about, and have no idea what they were actually for.

Bipolar disorder

I took ALOT of medication up through late in highschool, at which time I was only taking Guanfacine, after dropping Citalophram and Prozac. Unfortunately, my depleted aggression at that point made me highly antisocial, as I'd simply ignore or avoid people. Guanfacine was one of those medications that could really rob you of your ability to want to do anything at all.

But since highschool, I haven't been taking any regular medication at all. College left me at a bit of a mental discord, as I realized how much I'd changed, and that everything wasn't as one sided as I thought. Time to re-define myself, I guess. It makes some parts of my life, such as religion, hard to re-figure out.

To stay relevant to the topic, there are plenty of worse things to take than isotretinoin. If you can afford it (several hundred a month without insurance ._. + lab fees for the mandatory blood tests to actually take it), it's completely worth it to cure acne.

How much of that s**t was real, and how much was fabricated because you weren't the perfect little robot child from 1743?

Oppositional defiant disorder... sounds like a nice excuse to keep a kid that needs no lessons on what they are allowed to do.

Care to explain the 'changed' and 'not so one-sided' parts for me? (I don't learn well from personal experience, like bashing my foot from running though the rouse... but to understand something examples or spelled out explanations sometimes work. o.O )

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:49 pm
Metalic_Noodles
Exmucane

Bipolar disorder

How much of that s**t was real, and how much was fabricated because you weren't the perfect little robot child from 1743?

Oppositional defiant disorder... sounds like a nice excuse to keep a kid that needs no lessons on what they are allowed to do.

Care to explain the 'changed' and 'not so one-sided' parts for me? (I don't learn well from personal experience, like bashing my foot from running though the rouse... but to understand something examples or spelled out explanations sometimes work. o.O )

~Metalic_Noodles

Changed in general. College showed me that you don't have to be an upper-class white Christian to be successful in your ventures, and that there's more to morality than "right" and "wrong". In more than one way, I miss the psychotic episodes I had as a kid, and I realize now that much of what was once labeled mental illness could in another time be considered an evolutionary benefit. It would take too long to tell you how I've changed and what I believe, as I'd have to also explain what I previously believed, and how I felt beforehand.

Now the not-so-one-sided part I can explain. I was raised to believe that there was one religion, one type of successful person, one way that these people dressed, etc. My parents encouraged me to make friends with people at rich, white, southern baptist churches. Through 4th grade they sent me to expensive white Christian schools (though I ended up getting kicked out of one after my bipolar side kicked in). In public school, my parents would say things that they didn't even realize were offensive, telling me what type of person to hang out with, and what to wear. For example, I was told to stay away from a girl I liked, because of the way she dressed. To them, there was never any reason to do anything wrong, this included the "laws" of society, which I now believe to be bullshit. I took much of what my parents said to heart back then.

In highschool, my parents were right. The druggies, the gays, people of other races, etc, performed more poorly than the type of friends my parents wanted me to have. In college, this isn't the same. I see successful people who break the law, are gay, aren't white, love to get drunk, and have no religion whatsoever. My parent's often believed that if you lived for yourself you wouldn't perform well academically. But in college I see people who believe in studying hard for their own benefit, yet are able to balance it against a less acceptable life style. The world isn't as white and black as my parents made it out to be.  

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

First Pancake

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:08 am
Metalic_Noodles

Mental disorders arent excuses stare

What kind of psychological tests did you have done? Personally id love to have a psych assessment, but then i dont have anything worth diagnosing (hopefully lol) and id probably be disappointed in my comparative normality sweatdrop but as a student, id be taking notes of the tests they used mrgreen

You should try to get copies of the EEG and the interpretation, you should be able to get hold of it if you wanted to I think. As a sort of stab in the dark i'd say they were making sure you didnt have brain abnormalities that would cause your behaviour, or a brain injury etc, so they know they are giving you the "right" treatment

Must be hard with all those diagnoses going on. I know from my experience that OCD is enough to drive you absolutely nuts by itself  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 am

There are times were I need everything perfect. Something has to be just somewhere in relation to something else.

Bugs my parents, but they usually end up agreeing. Like where something should go, what color to pick out, what matches what...

Pisses me off though. My guess is that it's not OCD, but something about how my brain works, something to do with not having much trouble in math classes... With would explain why I hate math, even though it's not particularly difficult for me.

So yes, OCD could easily drive a person nuts, unless the OCD was very mild, or so severe that the person didn't think of it as being odd.

By a disorder being an excuse... You ever heard of ridlin? I've heard things (even the news on occasion) say that it's likely that it's being over prescribed, or ADHD is over diagnosed. Basically that adults are forgetting that children can't sit in one spot for five hours unless they are adequately distracted or entertained.
On the other hand, it could be like the crime going down thing. The stats aren't on if crime has gone down, it's that cops haven't found as much... so it could mean there is less crime, or mean that the cops aren't doing their job as well as the previous year. Same thing with crime going up/more drug busts. Maybe the cops just got better, instead of more people dealing drugs.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

Pachelbel Canon

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 am
REAL mental disorders aren't excuses. But it does seem like there's a mental disorder diagnosis for almost every behavioral trait that goes against being...I don't want to say subservient, but I can't think of a milder word for it...

I'm not one of those rude ignorant people who blow off ALL disorders as illegitimate. I haven't heard of Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and just the name sounds a little eerie to me. It *sounds* like it's just a "medical name" for disobedient kids.

Sometimes it's a chemical imbalance, but sometimes it does seem more like an excuse for the pharmaceutical industry to sell lots of drugs to people who don't actually need them. I suppose I feel that way about the whole US medical area though. Intentional medical misdiagnoses annoys me to know end and it just seems like it would be easier to get away with in cases of mental problems than physical ones. And didn't Ghost mention in some other topic that x percentage (don't recall the number now) of drug effects are placebo anyway? And when they AREN'T, and they actually do adjust the chemical balance of your brain, that's even worse for a patient who doesn't really need a treatment.

Anyway, I rambled on way more than necessary...I think I lost my point somewhere, which was all Metalic meant was that some kids are just rebellious by nature and don't need to be "adjusted" with meds. :/ I don't know what the case for Trev was.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 pm
aprilness

I'm not one of those rude ignorant people who blow off ALL disorders as illegitimate.
It *sounds* like it's just a "medical name" for disobedient kids.
behavioral trait

Trait, because it's not necessarily a flaw, even thought one person, or group that will never meet someone with the trait, says it is.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:29 pm
Metalic_Noodles
aprilness

I'm not one of those rude ignorant people who blow off ALL disorders as illegitimate.
behavioral trait

Trait, because it's not necessarily a flaw, even thought one person, or group that will never meet someone with the trait, says it is.

~Metalic_Noodles

That's rather irrelevant. What matters is the effect it has on the individuals lifestyle. Is stupidity a trait or a flaw? It doesn't really matter, what matters is that the person may have trouble adapting because they're stupid. Oppositional defiant disorder is the same way. They call it a disorder, maybe it is or maybe it isn't. I personally believe that it was truly caused by my being bipolar.

I'd get mad over the smallest things that my parents and teachers were well within their rights to correct me with. By elementary school when I got into an argument I'd end up yelling at my teachers, telling them how to do their jobs and what they were doing wrong. If I felt I was right about something, I'd completely ignore anyone who told me to do otherwise. The fact is that it made life difficult. I don't really see how it matters if it was a disorder or a trait; and I can see why a psychiatrist would want to use medicine to change it.  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:33 pm
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
aprilness

behavioral trait

~Metalic_Noodles

That's rather irrelevant. What matters is the effect it has on the individuals lifestyle. Is stupidity a trait or a flaw? It doesn't really matter, what matters is that the person may have trouble adapting because they're stupid. Oppositional defiant disorder is the same way. They call it a disorder, maybe it is or maybe it isn't. I personally believe that it was truly caused by my being bipolar.

I'd get mad over the smallest things that my parents and teachers were well within their rights to correct me with. By elementary school when I got into an argument I'd end up yelling at my teachers, telling them how to do their jobs and what they were doing wrong. If I felt I was right about something, I'd completely ignore anyone who told me to do otherwise. The fact is that it made life difficult. I don't really see how it matters if it was a disorder or a trait; and I can see why a psychiatrist would want to use medicine to change it.

in short, you were a stubborn kid.  

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:46 pm
jfm567
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
aprilness

behavioral trait

~Metalic_Noodles

Much more than that. The average kid doesn't threaten to kill his teachers when they won't listen to him.  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:48 pm
Exmucane
jfm567
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
aprilness

behavioral trait

~Metalic_Noodles

Much more than that. The average kid doesn't threaten to kill his teachers when they won't listen to him.

creepy, but i cant say i havent seen it before. because i have, and sadly, it is in high school. =o  

jfm567

Aged Werewolf

5,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:08 pm
Exmucane

That's really sad.

It would have been funny, and made you 'cool' in certain schools or crowds, now you get arrested, and tortured like a terrorist. Even 3 year olds I bet. crying

Terrorists need to start bombing the right places or GTFO and die. crying

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:09 pm
jfm567
Exmucane
jfm567
Exmucane
Metalic_Noodles
aprilness

behavioral trait

~Metalic_Noodles

creepy, but i cant say i havent seen it before. because i have, and sadly, it is in high school. =o

Neh, this was when I was in elementary school.  

Awiergan Retribution

5,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:26 pm

Maybe you are an improved genetic mutation from your parents, but so vastly improved that you can't function as you should in their world?

(Which is why kids go to college)

~Metalic_Noodles

General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas