Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
The Olympics [Official Discussion Thread] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you going to watch it?
  Yes
  No
View Results

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:29 pm
DUDE! The swimming was awesome >_< Go Michael Phelps xd Swimming was cool... I just finished watching the USA get their butts kicked by Latvia in volley ball xd

I tend to root for the USA except when it comes to running and then I root for Mexico's Anna Guevara! ^^ She's awesome! heart  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:41 pm
churrlo
DUDE! The swimming was awesome >_< Go Michael Phelps xd Swimming was cool... I just finished watching the USA get their butts kicked by Latvia in volley ball xd

I tend to root for the USA except when it comes to running and then I root for Mexico's Anna Guevara! ^^ She's awesome! heart

he broke an olympic record just in the heats right? crazy xd  

Iconised Ghost

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:43 pm
Yeah he did it already xd The biking race is about to end and it's like AMAZING O_O  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:44 pm
Iconised Ghost
churrlo

he broke an olympic record just in the heats right? crazy xd

I missed it. gonk I wanted to see him swim.  

Midori Hayashi
Crew

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:45 pm
Spain just won the race!!!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:52 pm
i was watching that last night, that swiss guy that came up towards the end was insane!  

Iconised Ghost

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:59 pm
Yeah xd And the Russian almost had it >_< Sprinted too early though =o  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:01 pm
yeah and the italian guy that was leading for ages. Gotta suck to have someone snatch the gold in the last bit like that  

Iconised Ghost

RaidenKazama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:05 pm
bluegrass cat
RaidenKazama
Kitsukage
About the smog comment; why do you think London has started charging people for entering the City with a vehicle? London 2012. They're trying to put on a pretty face, for the Olympics, to try and make up for the shitty weather. =) Come 2012, you'll start hearing people on the news saying, "Well, 2012 is definitely overshadowing China 2008 in terms of atmosphere." all because its in a country that is liked; at least mostly, anyway.

As for the Olympics, I don't actually really watch them, because I always seem to lose interest through all the commercials that go on, between each event. I don't know about other country's networks, but commercials are the bane of British Television. I might see if I can pay enough attention to the swimming and other water-related Olympic games.. and the Javelin. I wanna see if someone goes home looking like my Mule. XD

Well not you bum you out, but the congestion charge has been here before we knew we were hosting the Olympics and I can't comment for other countries but I've been hearing the opposite; that England won't have a chance at putting on a better opening ceremony, which I agree so I don't think people will start saying saying that England's is better in 2012 because people prefer it as a country, atmosphere around it maybe as there won't be so much political tension.

Also Yeah commercial breaks suck...but they are worse in America!
Quote:

not that i don't acknowledge that tibet was a crazy-a** "i will kill you if you don't worship like we worship" kinda place BEFORE china took over, i just bristle at the idea of any country taking over another country without the wuss-country having a say in it...which is why i get miffed @ my own country and politicians so often. sweatdrop

You do remember how you Americans were born? =p

uh, well, let's see.

europeans fled religious and political persecution from england originally, and those settlers got on fairly well with the native population.

of course, then MORE idiots came, and they did NOT get on well, so the european-americans had lots of fights with the native americans. they did all sorts of nasty things to them, then they fought against their home country, then spain, then the natives out west some more.

however, being someone who's a 12th gen kentuckian and a 9th gen lexingtonian, i didn't have much of a say in that. i was personally born when an american man of french/english/native descent married a nice american girl of MOSTLY native descent with a bit of scots-irish thrown in there.

anyway, did you MISS the part where i said: i just bristle at the idea of any country taking over another country without the wuss-country having a say in it...which is why i get miffed @ my own country and politicians so often

but then, being FROM england, i'm sure YOU'VE never disagreed with what your government has done! heart

edit: back to the topic at hand, angel is verra disappointed because he had to WORK during opening ceremonies and he had to miss it! crying i've been looking around online, but all i can find are snippets of it and he should get to watch the whole crazy thing!

sweatdrop

I know exactly what you said (the bold part in particular =p). What I said wasn't supposed to be taken seriously, ofcourse it is a completely different situation! xp

You'll come to find that most of my posts around here will probably just be comical in nature or an obvious attempt to provoke.
As for my government, they've never done a thing wrong in my eyes...

Oh and about the opening ceremony, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ Has the full 4 hour English coverage of it, however since it's a British channel I don't know whether the site will allow people from other countries to view it - if not you could try using a proxy server.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:08 pm
There's two swimmers from my area this year: Nathan Adrian and Emily Silver, and I was on swim team with Nathan and the Kirk sisters. Unfortunately Tara and Dana Kirk didn't make it. They're also from my hometown. Tara didn't make it past the trials by ONE HUNDRETH OF A SECOND.

Wait! They already had the swimming? I thought it was tomorrow? Daaaang it!  

HappysEnding

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:19 pm
i think they only had the first bits of the swimming, not the medal winning bits  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:44 pm
Olympic coverage is on the following channels:

- NBC
- MSNBC
- USA

Fencing, Swimming, and Cycling was awesome. heart

Lyss should try out for women's 10M air rifle.

If only she had the money for the $10-15,000 air rifle + armaments...

Lyss only has a $250 Daisy Advantage compressed air rifle, pellets, and sneakers.

Lyss The One In The Back
Crew

MonsieurSponge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:20 pm
Midori Hayashi
Goddess Ace
EggaxSponge
Goddess Ace
You never know Egga, you could be kicking some serious fencing a** and then I can be like, "I told you so." xD

Butbutbut the only tournament I ever won was in camp and it wasn't even official. crying

But I've only ever been in 2 tournaments, 1 official. xd

The real test will be my next novice tournament...

If i ever kick a**, I will be quite surprised. xd

Yeah, but if you're good enough you get a uniform and you can put "Egga" on it xD
Or "Spongey" - I think an athlete named "Spongey" would be awesome.

I agree. That would be awesome!

gonk No. My jacket will have my last name on it.

I find a good website to watch events that already occurred, if anybody wants it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:24 pm
im watching things on the TVNZ website, but they need more gymnastics coverage gonk  

Iconised Ghost

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:00 pm
I want the soccer!! xd  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items