Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
If you could know any piece of information Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:13 pm
The same could be said of all religions.
*resisting urge to quote a Castlevania game*  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:13 pm
@Erv - Yeah ...I'm not much into these sorts of discussions. No way to prove anything so, ...why bother? is the way I view it.  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:15 pm
Of course. But at least in the main Daoist text they say it upright:

Tao Te Ching: 1
The tao that can be [named] is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name. The unnamable is the eternally real. Naming is the origin of all particular things. Free from desire, you realize the mystery. Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations. Yet mystery and manifestations arise from the same source. This source is called darkness. Darkness within darkness. The gateway to all understanding.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:18 pm
So, basically what they're trying to say is that if you attempt to follow it, and manage to name it, you've just wasted some effort? And that no matter what you do, you will never reach the purest form of the discipline? Seems a bit defeatist to me, but I could just be reading it wrong.
And the reason we bother, Ala, is that arguments can be fun, if both parties are active enough =D  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:21 pm
I don't think that's what it's trying to say Erv, its more like when you find the way to follow the Tao you'll just feel it, its not something you can properly express in words but something that you FEEL to be the case more than anything else.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:21 pm
Well... you just made a theory, and therefore "named" a manifestation of thought. You just named a particular thing -- a particular thought. Not the eternal thought.

Again, I can't explain it, because if I could it would be a lie.  

Sentama Lin

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:22 pm
This stuff gives me a headache. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:22 pm
And this is why I'm a terrible philosophy student. Just this is almost enough to give me a headache. It seems my brain was not built for reason and vague teachings.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:26 pm
I'm terrible at it too. And seriously? Reason? I'm pretty sure the Daoists are the cooks of the philosophical community.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:28 pm
Ah don't worry Erv, I took two Philosophy classes and I still don't get it. I just stare blankly at books and hope for the best.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:08 am
I'd like to know everything but I'll settle for next week's lotto numbers.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:53 pm
...what if God's made of energy? God's supposedly everywhere, all at once. What is the only other thing that exists everywhere else in the universe? Energy. It makes sense,you know.

@Sanzo. Scientififc debate tend to tdo that to people.  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:58 pm
Omni, you're a genius. That's what I'd like to know to, for my respective state.

I just figure the entire issue of G_d is a non-issue, but my thoughts aren't totally focused on that so I'm a bit biased.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:02 pm
Being biased against something restricts your thoughts to one particular thought: you either liek ti or you don't. Be more open minded, m'kay?  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:04 pm
Oh I'm open to other ideas, but there's a bias on everything regardless of what people say. An unbiased opinion is impossible.

I'm not saying that I'm correct; I'm just saying that I feel that the purpose of the existence of God and the Universe is a non-issue.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff