lazycommie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:39 am
Shram
lazycommie
Shram
lazycommie
Shram
Sentama Lin
Isn't that how Marx himself defined the progression into Marxist Communism -- that is the middle (bourgeois) class, furious with the corruption of the upper wealthy aristocrats and the government, revolt, fight, and eventually create a society where the collective work together? It's why I wouldn't feel comfortable in a forced Communism because it does take that revolution (first) and it requres everyone to be in that mindset. So far, the United States is not in that mindset and cannot foster Marxist Communism.

I am an old ATG member =]

The US can barely live with its democratic measures...
Might be better to go back to western style life with cowboys and crap -.-

Click here to PM Me regarding ATG.
I am not a Mod but I am a regular and will always answer if you ask =]

Something interesting about that, actually. Back in the "old west"(real old west, not hollywood BS), violence was actually very rare in towns. IIRC, the rate of violent crime back then was something like 1 per 100,000 over the course of 45 years. Now, there are a lot of factors involved there, population density(low), armament of the people, effective law enforcement, minimal government, etc.

With practically everyone having a pistol and every town having a sheriff and a deputy the likely hood of violent behaviour would drop.
any single man doing something violent could be shot on the spot.

Exactly. Between the populace and a duly elected and efficient police, you solve much of the problems.

True but the risk's were higher at the time to, after all you could have a bunch of criminals make their own city with their own rules.
Unlucky for any rich person stumbling into/near the city.

Yup. Just like any other city/country, there's some form of risk.

Let's take this to another thread, and stop taking this one off topic.

As far as Prop 8 goes, I don't even know why anybody, gay or straight, should be getting special treatment.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:23 pm
Like many other members of the guild, I deal with the general public on a daily basis. It is absolutely mind-boggling how ignorant and/or idiotic so many people are. I am far from being a genius, and I am by no means a terribly intellectual person, but I'd like to think that I at least have some common sense.

The problem is that "common sense ain't so common", as my step-father would say.

That's why it horrified me when I first found out about Prop 8, and how these people were being allowed to decide whether or not a minority deserves to have rights. Ugh. If the majority supported the idea, it wouldn't have been an issue to begin with...

If there had been a vote in Canada (at least in my province), I doubt very much that I would still have the right to marry. neutral I don't hear people complaining about the fact that gay couples can get married. But given the chance to anonymously voice their opinion, the general population's true colours would certainly show.

I don't know if the supporters of Proposition 8 are aware, but Canada has had same-sex marriage for a few years now, and we haven't been struck down by lightning yet. Marriage is just as "sacred" as it ever was. rolleyes

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Novatierrie
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 pm
If marriage is so sacred, we should work on dropping that astronomical divorce rate and get rid of the 24/7 drive through wedding chapels in Vegas. They have to be joking. Marriage is one of the least sacred institutions that I can think of. When you can get married by an Elvis impersonator and then divorce after 24 hours 'cause WHOOPSIE I WAS DRUNK, it's not sacred. neutral When you have terms like 'shotgun wedding,' it's not sacred. They're using that as an excuse because oops, it's not politically correct to say that 'I'm homophobic.'

If you don't want your church to marry gay people in a religious ceremony, that's something to take up with your denomination and/or congregation, because the legal benefits of marriage should be open and available for all people and your religious views should stay where they belong: outside of politics. Is it so hard to separate those?

Prop 8 and Amendment 2 in Florida are terrible monstrous things. Besides denying rights to the obvious targets, someone with a law degree and ambition could twist them to deny rights to many other targets as well. (If I wasn't shaky on my opinion on whether or not the Supreme Court would vote favorably on the issue, I'd almost want this to happen. It'd be bound to be challenged and would probably make it all the way up to the Supreme Court.)

...augh. I went off on a tangent. /2cents  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:40 pm
I still don't get why people are so hung up on this sort of thing. Yes, it is impossible for the pairs to proliferate, but if they are happy, then so what? We all know humanity is going to flare out at some point, so why not have the greatest amount of happiness along the way? There's nothing wrong with it, and though it does make me a little uncomfortable, I have no problem with people of the persuasion. Because they are people, regardless of any mindset. It's scary how easily some forget this.

And I'm not quite sure I made sense...  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:47 pm
If the state had been voting on the rights of some religious minority, I wonder how many people would be crying foul. neutral

Even for those who are adamantly against same-sex marriage, the way this issue was handled should be unnerving.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:15 pm
The problem with their mentality is that the 'problem' of same sex marriage is something on par with the economy or the Iraq war. In reality, those who are SANE know that the issues don't even begin to compare, but these people think that two men or two women being able to marry = THE END OF THE ******** WORLD.

These are the people pushing out the propaganda, fooling the people who are moderate or undecided into thinking that passing Prop 8 is a good thing. These are the people who believe that we elected the Antichrist or the second coming of Hitler. (I AM NOT KIDDING.)  

Novatierrie
Crew

lazycommie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:36 pm
Novatierrie
The problem with their mentality is that the 'problem' of same sex marriage is something on par with the economy or the Iraq war. In reality, those who are SANE know that the issues don't even begin to compare, but these people think that two men or two women being able to marry = THE END OF THE ******** WORLD.

These are the people pushing out the propaganda, fooling the people who are moderate or undecided into thinking that passing Prop 8 is a good thing. These are the people who believe that we elected the Antichrist or the second coming of Hitler. (I AM NOT KIDDING.)

Well, the Biblical description of the Antichrist does fit up pretty well with him, to be honest. Whether he is or not is another matter, one which I don't want to go into.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:14 pm
    This appears to be more suited for IDD, although that may just because of the veer in conversation. Anyway, I'm moving it for now at least... 3nodding

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:45 pm
I had an essay that I wrote that touched on a few of the topics here... it was an informal writing for a socialogy class I'm taking. I'd liek to post it, if Lin doesn't mind it. It contains my responses to several of the posts that have been made in my absence.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:11 pm
I am dismayed by the way Prop 8 has been playing out. I know I am on the east coast, but I voted Yes when it came to same sex marriage in my state because I think all people are equal and should have the same benefits and rights befitting a citizen. Thankfully in my state all legal adults can marry whoever it is that they love, regardless of gender.

Minorities (people, not hobbies) should all have equal rights. I think that legal citizens who pay taxes should have all the benefits their tax dollars support. This way the individual gets to choose what benefits they take advantage of, while everyone has the options of all legal benefits of citizenship.

Apparently a lot of others disagree. How disappointing.  

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

flavored pencils

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:32 am
it frightens you because you feel scared and its a big thing.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff