The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:03 pm
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
I think stereotyping and discrimination are uncalled for in almost every situation. So.
Gypsies - never seen any.
Thieving - probably to do with the current state of things.
You - not going going there. This is all in really poor taste.

Gypsies- not good people. Not the worst, that honor goes to guys who own boats under 30ft or sailboaters(those guys will scam you bad, as well as refuse to pay you for your work).

Thieving- this is something unconnected to the current state of things, because they have done it even during the boom times.

Me- go ahead and go there.

Gypsies - I'll reserve my opinions until I actually meet one, but thanks for the heads-up... I think.
Thieving - My whole family does it, so I have no reason to believe that it's a racial situation.
You - Really offended me with this. I was hoping it was an off-color joke. I think that we have different views of the world, and clearly this is not limited to our politics.

Gypsies- this is fine. Just giving you a heads up as well as voicing my frustration at being rather stuck here(as well as having to haul my valuables with me whenever I do leave the house, which is rare and limited to my responsibilities I must tend to)

Thieving- It's not so much racial(as I have mentioned before, this isn't just Romany Gypsies that do this, but also Irish Gypsies) as cultural. A group of such people forms, they travel a route and steal things, to pawn them the next town they stop in. They have kids, the kids take up the lifestyle of their parents, and another generation carries on.

Me- Also fine with this.

Thieving - I know that. In fact, I know it better than most. I just don't see why you had to bring the Romany/Irish gypsy portion of this up. It's really irrelevant - man will always do what he can to ******** his fellow man. Big deal. Race is something that you applied to the conversation, when you could have simply avoided it. Everyone here can understand the concept of travelling thieves without your use of potentially hurtful and technically inaccurate terminology.

I applied culture, not race, to the discussion. In my OP, I SPECIFICALLY mentioned something which would make it non-racial, but rather culturally based. It wasn't until a bunch of self-righteous pricks who seem to believe that if someone is a minority they can do no wrong decided to drag race into it that race got involved.

I brought the irish/romany part up because it's those kind of people. Were it black thieves, I'd have brought it up with them. Same with white ones or latino ones(and I'm a mix of white and latino, thank you). Wait, since I'm technically a minority, that makes the people calling me racists racist, right? wink

Race and culture are so similar and so closely related as to be the same concept. I think you used a socially-charged term in order to spark discussion, and now that you're in a position to have to defend yourself, you're splitting semantic hairs.
Anyway, I don't care for racial discussion (I'm white, so I've had enough of the trump card being, "let me tell you what your people did to mine...") because it's unnecessary in civil conversation...
Though, yes, it is racist.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:04 pm
God-The-RapistV2.0
User Image
You're an idiot.

You think that legislature that literally limits the abilites of an entire group of people from creating Real jobs and owning a business does not push them to crime?

in 1996 there were still laws in New York State which disallowed Gypsies from even ENTERING. That means anyone with Romany blood was allowed to LIVE in New York State, and you don't think things like this effect people.

Come On. That's just ten types of stupid.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

You're a moron. You seem to keep dragging race and how they're "oh so oppressed" into this, as if oppression and race make someone a good person automatically.

"Gypsies" under the letter of the law, does not specifically target Romanys, but rather Romany/Irish "gypsies"(essentially roving groups of thieves and fraudsters who do as such out of a cultural thing).

Learn the law, quit being an idiot and stop trying to push the "they're oppressed so they can't be in the wrong ever" BS.  

lazycommie

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm
lazycommie
God-The-RapistV2.0
User Image
You're an idiot.

You think that legislature that literally limits the abilites of an entire group of people from creating Real jobs and owning a business does not push them to crime?

in 1996 there were still laws in New York State which disallowed Gypsies from even ENTERING. That means anyone with Romany blood was allowed to LIVE in New York State, and you don't think things like this effect people.

You're a moron. You seem to keep dragging race and how they're "oh so oppressed" into this, as if oppression and race make someone a good person automatically.

"Gypsies" under the letter of the law, does not specifically target Romanys, but rather Romany/Irish "gypsies"(essentially roving groups of thieves and fraudsters who do as such out of a cultural thing).

Learn the law, quit being an idiot and stop trying to push the "they're oppressed so they can't be in the wrong ever" BS.
User Image

I have more knowledge of the law in my pinky finger than you do in your entire body.

Don't ******** think that you can be king s**t in a day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm
Thieving: It isn't Romany people as a whole who do this. =/ If "Gypsy" culture in the US means "wandering thieves", then fine. You have a group of wanderers in your community who are allegedly thieves. That's gotta suck. But stop labelling an entire ethnic group as good-for-nothing thieves.

The negative stereotypes against Romany people have been used as an excuse for attempted genocide and persecution on a huge scale. Do you honestly think that each and every person that is a Gypsy is a bad person?

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

lazycommie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:10 pm
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

Gypsies - I'll reserve my opinions until I actually meet one, but thanks for the heads-up... I think.
Thieving - My whole family does it, so I have no reason to believe that it's a racial situation.
You - Really offended me with this. I was hoping it was an off-color joke. I think that we have different views of the world, and clearly this is not limited to our politics.

Gypsies- this is fine. Just giving you a heads up as well as voicing my frustration at being rather stuck here(as well as having to haul my valuables with me whenever I do leave the house, which is rare and limited to my responsibilities I must tend to)

Thieving- It's not so much racial(as I have mentioned before, this isn't just Romany Gypsies that do this, but also Irish Gypsies) as cultural. A group of such people forms, they travel a route and steal things, to pawn them the next town they stop in. They have kids, the kids take up the lifestyle of their parents, and another generation carries on.

Me- Also fine with this.

Thieving - I know that. In fact, I know it better than most. I just don't see why you had to bring the Romany/Irish gypsy portion of this up. It's really irrelevant - man will always do what he can to ******** his fellow man. Big deal. Race is something that you applied to the conversation, when you could have simply avoided it. Everyone here can understand the concept of travelling thieves without your use of potentially hurtful and technically inaccurate terminology.

I applied culture, not race, to the discussion. In my OP, I SPECIFICALLY mentioned something which would make it non-racial, but rather culturally based. It wasn't until a bunch of self-righteous pricks who seem to believe that if someone is a minority they can do no wrong decided to drag race into it that race got involved.

I brought the irish/romany part up because it's those kind of people. Were it black thieves, I'd have brought it up with them. Same with white ones or latino ones(and I'm a mix of white and latino, thank you). Wait, since I'm technically a minority, that makes the people calling me racists racist, right? wink

Race and culture are so similar and so closely related as to be the same concept. I think you used a socially-charged term in order to spark discussion, and now that you're in a position to have to defend yourself, you're splitting semantic hairs.
Anyway, I don't care for racial discussion (I'm white, so I've had enough of the trump card being, "let me tell you what your people did to mine...") because it's unnecessary in civil conversation...

If race and culture are "the same concept"(they're not, not even close, if you want a great example compare blacks from Africa with blacks in the US), then what about race and crime? Or race and literacy? If we're going to drag things like that into it, this will not end well for anyone involved...

I wasn't using my race as a trump card, but rather as a way to show the idiocy of using race as a trump card, something which some people here seem to insist on doing.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:12 pm
God-The-RapistV2.0
lazycommie
God-The-RapistV2.0
User Image
You're an idiot.

User Image

I have more knowledge of the law in my pinky finger than you do in your entire body.

Apparently not. Also you still seem to insist on playing the "oh they have suffered" card, which shows a lack of common sense, by assuming that calling someone of a minority a bad person is automatically racist.

Oh...wait...I'm a minority(see steph and I's discussion for the context and reason why this is funny). Your argument fails. hard.  

lazycommie

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:13 pm
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

Me- Also fine with this.

If race and culture are "the same concept"(they're not, not even close, if you want a great example compare blacks from Africa with blacks in the US), then what about race and crime? Or race and literacy? If we're going to drag things like that into it, this will not end well for anyone involved...

I wasn't using my race as a trump card, but rather as a way to show the idiocy of using race as a trump card, something which some people here seem to insist on doing.

:sigh:
You just proved me right. Because these concepts are so deeply intertwined, it's better to just leave them alone, lest it "not end well for anyone involved." Again, topics like this have no place in a social setting, right along with religion and sex.
No no, I know that. I was specifically explaining why I personally dislike racial conversation. Between the condescention and the resentment that people of color display toward me when I attempt an educated discussion on it, I've decided it's pretty much useless to try.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:15 pm
Taeryyn
Thieving: It isn't Romany people as a whole who do this. =/ If "Gypsy" culture in the US means "wandering thieves", then fine. You have a group of wanderers in your community who are allegedly thieves. That's gotta suck. But stop labelling an entire ethnic group as good-for-nothing thieves.

The negative stereotypes against Romany people have been used as an excuse for attempted genocide and persecution on a huge scale. Do you honestly think that each and every person that is a Gypsy is a bad person?

"Gypsy" culture in US = what I've been talking about. It has little to do with the race, as I've mentioned several times before here, yet nobody seems to bother reading anything said and instead decides to play the "let's all call lazy a racist and follow GTR's ignorant lead" game.

The negative stereotypes against [insert race of your choice] have been used as an excuse for persecution on a huge scale. This applies to any race, so dragging the "oh they have suffered" argument into things fails hard. Also, please pay attention to context.  

lazycommie

God-The-RapistV2.0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:15 pm
lazycommie
God-The-RapistV2.0
lazycommie
God-The-RapistV2.0
User Image
You're an idiot.

User Image

Apparently not. Also you still seem to insist on playing the "oh they have suffered" card, which shows a lack of common sense, by assuming that calling someone of a minority a bad person is automatically racist.

Oh...wait...I'm a minority(see steph and I's discussion for the context and reason why this is funny). Your argument fails. hard.
User Image

I didn't say they were picked on because they were a Minority YOU DID. I said they were picked on AND a minority and that it's wrong to defend ONE minority and not another.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:16 pm
Or maybe people are objecting to statements like these:

Quote:
They are not good people. The Romany gypsies are bad, the Irish ones are even worse. Both kinds pretty much are professional thieves and manipulators.

Quote:
Gypsies- not good people.

No one is saying that that 100% of Romany are law-abiding, no one is saying that they are automatically good people just because they've suffered. We're saying that the opposite isn't true, that it's offensive and wrong to make general statements that tar an entire group with the same brush. =/

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:17 pm
lazycommie
Taeryyn

"Gypsy" culture in US = what I've been talking about. It has little to do with the race, as I've mentioned several times before here, yet nobody seems to bother reading anything said and instead decides to play the "let's all call lazy a racist and follow GTR's ignorant lead" game.

The negative stereotypes against [insert race of your choice] have been used as an excuse for persecution on a huge scale. This applies to any race, so dragging the "oh they have suffered" argument into things fails hard. Also, please pay attention to context.

Not whites. At least, not American whites. =/  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:17 pm
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

You just proved me right. Because these concepts are so deeply intertwined, it's better to just leave them alone, lest it "not end well for anyone involved." Again, topics like this have no place in a social setting, right along with religion and sex.
No no, I know that. I was specifically explaining why I personally dislike racial conversation. Between the condescention and the resentment that people of color display toward me when I attempt an educated discussion on it, I've decided it's pretty much useless to try.

The reason I brought it up to begin with is for context, something a lot of people here don't seem to understand the meaning of. Like I said, I'd use "gorram gangstas" or any other term to apply to any given group, for context's sake.  

lazycommie

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:20 pm
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

The reason I brought it up to begin with is for context, something a lot of people here don't seem to understand the meaning of. Like I said, I'd use "gorram gangstas" or any other term to apply to any given group, for context's sake.

Or you could just say, "wtf with the stealing, people?" and leave all the socially-charged and potentially hurtful moral-one-upping out of this. Which is my main concern with this thread, to be honest.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:21 pm
Taeryyn
Or maybe people are objecting to statements like these:

Quote:
They are not good people. The Romany gypsies are bad, the Irish ones are even worse. Both kinds pretty much are professional thieves and manipulators.

Quote:
Gypsies- not good people.

No one is saying that that 100% of Romany are law-abiding, no one is saying that they are automatically good people just because they've suffered. We're saying that the opposite isn't true, that it's offensive and wrong to make general statements that tar an entire group with the same brush. =/

"The romany gypsies are bad, the irish ones are even worse"

See how it has been defined and used. Gypsies =/= Romanys(although some can be gypsies). HOW MANY TIMES MUST I SAY THIS.  

lazycommie

lazycommie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:24 pm
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
Taeryyn

Not whites. At least, not American whites. =/

I beg to differ, as I've seen it. Any place where whites are a racial minority in that general location, you can see it. It's a case of "when any race is a majority in a given location, everyone else will have problems".  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff