View Results

Leader of the Penguins

Beloved Elder

7,350 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:49 pm
well just the other day my computer almost crashed due to some toolbar and like a bunch of viruses from using limewire. we had norton and windows livecare. it never worked because you have to pay an arm and a leg LITERALLY to have it after your like what 2 day trial? scream We now have this thing called bitdefender. works like a charm.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:21 pm
Of course it wouldn't have worked properly if Norton was on the computer as well. The two conflict with each other. Which it clearly states in the OneCare installation instructions. Undoubtedly it says something similar in the Norton instructions.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:59 am
@ Waku - Oh, man, I totally loved that show...

Also, whenever I try to open a webpage that needs to send me cookies, the pop ups come up and that's when they freeze my screen... on top of when I download things. rolleyes

@ Niko - I'm totally the same way. It's like having a brown thumb, only for electronics.

@ Tae - Are those firewalls, and can they work in conjunction with each other?

Also, I didn't know you worked with Norton.

@ Bass - I read somewhere that Norton mimics spyware, and that's why it's so hard to get rid of.. Like it's programmed the same as the junk it's supposed to get rid of.

@ Penguins - Yeah, Limewire is hell of convenient but also super dangerous. We fried our computer three or four times using it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:09 pm
Maybe you can set your browser settings to help with the cookie pop-ups?  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:13 pm
Ha ha, that's entirely possible. If only I knew how to do that... I can't do anything beyond emptying my cache. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:15 pm
What browser do you use?  

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:16 pm
Mozilla Firefox.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:24 pm
Under Privacy, I have "Accept cookies from sites" checked and "Accept third-party cookies." What do you have checked?

Granted, I don't have Norton...and this is also my work computer and not my home computer...but they both have Vista.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:24 pm
Avast and AVG are anti-virus programs. (Avast is also anti-spyware, I believe).
AVG doesn't explicitly include a firewall in the free version, but Avast has some sort of security screen. I believe both work in conjunction with your Windows firewall.

As for Norton, I work with the havoc that they leave on peoples' computers. I do customer service for Microsoft. Every single day we get people calling in, saying that they were working with Norton tech support (to install, uninstall, or just troubleshoot their piece-of-s**t software), when some sort of major problem happened. At which point Norton basically says, "Oops, look at that. Go call Microsoft, 'kay? Bye."

They take no responsibility for what they do. People can say what they like about M$, but if one of our techs ******** up your software (3rd-party or not), they're going to work with you to fix it, not ship you off to some other company.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:34 pm
@ Waku - Actually, they're both checked.

@ Tae - The reason I asked was because I get a few small spyware scares even with Norton running constantly, so I was wondering if I could put both AVG and Avast on to try to seal up whatever crack is letting them in.

Oooh, I see. That must be frustrating as hell. I've always had good experiences with MS tech support (when I can understand their accent.) redface  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:43 pm
Yeah, some of the agents have really, really thick accents. It's pretty hit or miss. Some of the agents have better English than me, some of them are absolutely incomprehensible.

I would be hesitant to put two anti-virus programs on at the same time, but I really don't know enough about either of them to say for sure. sad I used to have AVG and Spybot, but I'm not longer running Windows, so I no longer have that kind of security software.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:50 pm
Well, I have to get rid of Norton, because it's not doing what I bought it to do. It's also causing issues with my scans, and now I'm suspicious that it's the reason my computer's been freezing - I assumed it was overheating from being held in my lap.

I guess I'll have to research them both and find out if they'll work together. Last thing I need is for one program to undo the other, which would happen, with my luck... rolleyes  

The Dinosaur Next Door

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:15 pm
I've never used Avast, but AVG is just lovely.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:16 pm
That's two votes for AVG, then. biggrin  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:20 pm
If you do go with AVG, make sure to get some kind of anti-spyware protection as well. 3nodding I had no problems with AVG, although I never did much downloading.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff