Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:26 pm
Then may I discuss why I think mormomism is a cult instead of continuing with the Trinity? The Trinity is a tricky topic, one that I admit I have trouble comprehending myself which makes me hesitant to speak on it.  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:41 am
A cult by definition is any organized religion, so that would include your church too, not just the LDS religion.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:14 pm
That's not quite the complete definition.
I'll post my stuff when I get the time too. Possibly later this evening.  
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:21 pm
Definition of Cult from the dictionary

*followers of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices (Which is how all religions operate, hence why all of them can be considered cults)
*fad: an interest followed with exaggerated zeal;
*followers of an unorthodox, extremist, or false religion or sect who often live outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader (This is not how the LDS Church operates, never has, never will...so if this is where people get the impression that the Church is a cult, then that's an incorrect perception)
*a religion or sect that is generally considered to be unorthodox, extremist (There are lots of religions like that too, not just the LDS religion, the same could be said about Catholics, Lutherans, or Protestants)  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:26 pm
I will continue with this, really.
When I'm not so exhausted from jury duty ^^;;  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:12 pm
PawzPrint
Then may I discuss why I think mormomism is a cult instead of continuing with the Trinity? The Trinity is a tricky topic, one that I admit I have trouble comprehending myself which makes me hesitant to speak on it.

I think the word your looking for is occult. Yet again, the only reason that people think it's an occult is from:
1. Belief in a Godhead, rather than trinity
2. Belief that we can become LIKE God, that we may obtain and learn some of His wisdom about what He has done and created.

Other than this, there is really no other reason to claim that we are the occult of some sort.

My question is this, have any of your read the Book of Mormon, gone to a service, or seen a temple? The beauty and greatness of any of these should at least increase your understanding rather than so many choosing an argument based on ignorance.  

Someoneiknow

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:01 pm
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint

I think the word your looking for is occult. Yet again, the only reason that people think it's an occult is from:
2. Belief that we can become LIKE God, that we may obtain and learn some of His wisdom about what He has done and created.

Other than this, there is really no other reason to claim that we are the occult of some sort.

My question is this, have any of your read the Book of Mormon, gone to a service, or seen a temple? The beauty and greatness of any of these should at least increase your understanding rather than so many choosing an argument based on ignorance.

No. I said a cult and therefore I mean a cult.
And I have reasons. And when this ridiculous trial ends so I can think about other things, I will post them. Believe me, I will.
Alas, neither the prosecutor or the defense attorney found any reason to dismiss me and thus, I am juror.
For now, no, I have not read the book (nor do I want to read a book that I don't believe in), gone to a service but I have seen a temple.
And just because that something is beautiful and or great does not make it good or right in accordance with God's word.
Keep your ad hominem posts to yourself. Attack the arguments, not me or others. We could say the same about you or at least I could.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:41 pm
PawzPrint
Someoneiknow
PawzPrint

No. I said a cult and therefore I mean a cult.
And I have reasons. And when this ridiculous trial ends so I can think about other things, I will post them. Believe me, I will.
Alas, neither the prosecutor or the defense attorney found any reason to dismiss me and thus, I am juror.
For now, no, I have not read the book (nor do I want to read a book that I don't believe in), gone to a service but I have seen a temple.
And just because that something is beautiful and or great does not make it good or right in accordance with God's word.
Keep your ad hominem posts to yourself. Attack the arguments, not me or others. We could say the same about you or at least I could.

Cult is any religious institution, so therefore I'm trying to help you out in your name calling

Oh I don't doubt you will find many half truths about the church, many already have.

How is the temple, the church, or any things of that sort against God's will or word?

If you feel I was speaking to you, that's your own conscience speaking against you, for I left that last part vague and open. It was relating to any specific person or group of individuals.

I don't see how anything of the church is false, we have the Book of Mormon, you guys have all these seperate translations of the Bible (i.e. NLT, NIV, NASB, NKJV, etc.). (Also, to be quite honest, how are any of these translations EASIER? To me, I find it very confusing when you have to reference what Bible you are speaking from, and I find that horrific to think that my whole book shelf would have to be devoted just to Bibles if I wanted to understand everybodies point of view)  

Someoneiknow

WoodSorrelWitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 pm
Jury duty is over (yay!) but I am exhausted on this topic.....

This is why I believe mormonism is a cult.
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/cult.shtml
I thought for awhile how I was going to form my claim that mormonism is a cult. Then I thought that it might be better to just post the url. It isn't that long to read. I read it in two chunks and got through it okay.

I don't think that I'll be replying here for a bit - nothing against you or shadows. I just need a step back for a bit.

I would encourage you to actually read the site, even if you have to do it in more than one day.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:59 pm
On a lighter note:

Lmao xd

"Being crazy does not make some group a cult—it just means they are crazy. "

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:53 am
PawzPrint
Jury duty is over (yay!) but I am exhausted on this topic.....

This is why I believe mormonism is a cult.
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/cult.shtml
I thought for awhile how I was going to form my claim that mormonism is a cult. Then I thought that it might be better to just post the url. It isn't that long to read. I read it in two chunks and got through it okay.

I don't think that I'll be replying here for a bit - nothing against you or shadows. I just need a step back for a bit.

I would encourage you to actually read the site, even if you have to do it in more than one day.

Where were the actual scriptural verses to back up most of what that website said? It sounds like somebody just distorting what they believe into what "should" be law, which is not right. The Bible is by the means that we identify, but we do not use it to identify who is "the wolf", we only use scripture in context to identify who the followers of Christ are. So your individual that you quoted from is taking some verses out of context. He states something along the lines of "a cult is someone who wears special clothes, eats special things, etc." But then by that definition, you have to assume that many priests are cultist activists, and even Christ's chosen, the Jews, are all practicing in a cult. What kind of logic is that? All I read out of that website was this "If you don't do what my church does, you're a cult." It appears that even the author didn't look up the definition of "cult". Oh, and the word "cult" or even "occult" doesn't appear is scripture, thus enhancing the fact that you do not find out who the "wolf" is from scripture, you only identify the righteous and discern truth.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff