Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply Extended Discussion!
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals: O RLY? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

O RLY?
  NO WAI!
  YARLY!
View Results

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:14 am
Metalic has a good point in that humans are overpopulated. If we could figure out how to live in Antarctica and ship a good chunk of, like, India or China or other highly populated countries there, then it'd probably be alright. My science professor said a few years ago that some countries are already past their carrying capacity.

(*sigh*) I think it'd be way better off for the planet if things were like the olden days - we'd have to defend our turf from the animals and stuff, and people wouldn't live long enough to make a huge impact on the environment. I'd sorely miss my electricity, though xd  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:18 am
Don't worry, global warming is going to melt the ice caps and wipe out a few lands and kill some populations. Then we'll have to rasion even more and kill and then we'll all just end up dying.  

Goddess Ace
Crew

Ursus the Grim

Ursine Warlord

12,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Marathon 300
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Sakura-Kyoukan

So you wouldnt mind if we killed you to save a monkey from getting a makeover... well if everone thought like you. we would have lots of human volunteers for those experiments in place of the animals... but i'm sure you're not going to do that.. Hypocrit

Now, carrying on an argument with the owner of this guild probably isn't a good idea, but I'm judgementally impairred.

I have a survival instinct. I would not willingly die to "save a monkey from getting a makeover". Nor would I die for any number of people. If you must know, there is only one person I would die for, but I'm not gonna get emo on you. So I say that I wouldn't die to save my entire family, or a million people. But I'd go more peacefully if I knew that, say, a million bears would be saved. Oh wait. . . that's right. . . there aren't a million bears. Nor are there a million wolves. Nor a million buffalo. No, anything larger than a dog has to die when we encroach on their territory.

Call me a hypocrite. It's not the worst I've been called.

Sakura-Kyoukan
Not to mention rats and mice outnumber humans 100 to one... you wanna talk about over population!

Where do most rats and mice thrive? Why, in urban areas! Yes, we have a rare case in which the animals aren't devastated by our presence.

Mouse and rat overpopulation isn't as devastating as human overpopulation for several reasons.
_1: The average mouse (or rat) is far smaller than the average human.
_2: The average mouse (or rat) uses far less in the way resources than the average human.
_3: The average mouse (or rat) produces far less waste than the average human.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:30 pm
Goddess Ace
Don't worry, global warming is going to melt the ice caps and wipe out a few lands and kill some populations. Then we'll have to rasion even more and kill and then we'll all just end up dying.

Agreed. But if we're all dead in the end, why bother trying to improve humanity?  

Ursus the Grim

Ursine Warlord

12,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Marathon 300
  • 50 Wins 150

mutilations

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:31 pm
I'm all for animal treatment in ethical ways...I do eat meat though.
All the meat I do eat is from organic farms and all the animals are treated humainly biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:39 pm
Mara_Brightwing
WARNING *Opinion to follow* WARNING

I believe animals should be treated ethically, inasmuch as they are living creatures.

I do not believe, however, that they are more important than humans. I believe that we are meat eating, leather and fur wearing, pet loving, zoo visiting, safari going people.

I personally own a rabbit coat, a mink stole and a fox fur collar. I wear leather shoes, eat steak and chicken, love my dog, and take my kids to the zoo and the aquarium. And know what? I don't feel the least bit guilty.

If PETA thinks that their militaristic, terrorist-based actions are going to get me to change the way I live, they are dead wrong...just like the Islamic extremests are not going to get me to change the way I live.

*End Opinion*

Didn't understand the Islamic extremest part?What about them? sweatdrop  

Mortal4736

Ursus the Grim

Ursine Warlord

12,350 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Marathon 300
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:44 pm
Mortal4736
Didn't understand the Islamic extremest part?What about them? sweatdrop

I believe her point is that PETA's methods are getting them nowhere. Trying to intimidate people into changing is no better than the actions of terrorists, and will not work.

Of course, that was my interpretation, and as I already admitted, I'm judgementally impairred,  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:58 pm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1913999390200944075&q=Peta+bullshit&pl=true

QED, biatch!

Warning: contains swearing; lots of it.  

Shazbot_the_Pirate

Goddess Ace
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:34 am
Humans like improving things - we know the world is going to end but we're still living and doing things just to say - "Hey! I did that!"

As for the rats & mice, they have similarties to humans and that's why they're tested on... they're not in danger since they reproduce so fast. Besides, what's more valuable the life of one rat or a human being?  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:01 pm
Shazbot_the_Pirate
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1913999390200944075&q=Peta+bullshit&pl=true

QED, biatch!

Warning: contains swearing; lots of it.

AMEN!  

Sakura-Kyoukan

Shazbot_the_Pirate

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:05 pm
A Frozen Soul
Goddess Ace

Agreed. But if we're all dead in the end, why bother trying to improve humanity?

If I'm going down, I'm going down swinging. If our world is going to end, I want it to end knowing that we did everything we could to make it a better place. That's why.

And a counter-point: If the world is going to end, why bother protecting animals? They're getting the axe with the rest of us, you know.  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:11 am
Mara_Brightwing
WARNING *Opinion to follow* WARNING

I believe animals should be treated ethically, inasmuch as they are living creatures.

I do not believe, however, that they are more important than humans. I believe that we are meat eating, leather and fur wearing, pet loving, zoo visiting, safari going people...

*End Opinion*

I agree with Mara on this part. 3nodding I don't wear fur though. Why? Because I'm allergic. I did try the vegenism for four months straight, but in the end, it made me completely miserable. I love meat. And then it hit me... OMG! Other animals EAT other animals. rolleyes That made a chicken jammed between two hunks of bread all the more appealing to me.

PETA members are zealouts. They are not logical or rational. They remind me of anti-abortionists. No, I'm not pro-abortion, but if you murder an abortionist, isn't that kinda counter-productive? rolleyes I just don't get some people's ideals at all. Think, people! THINK!  

IMWanderling

IMWanderling

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:18 am
Goddess Ace
Humans like improving things - we know the world is going to end but we're still living and doing things just to say - "Hey! I did that!"

As for the rats & mice, they have similarties to humans and that's why they're tested on... they're not in danger since they reproduce so fast. Besides, what's more valuable the life of one rat or a human being?

While in University, I worked in the mouse lab in the Psych department. We were conducting studies on the effects of Ritalin. These mice were bred specifically with ADHD. We called them popcorn mice because they bounced around a lot. We did not hurt the mice at all. We administered Ritalin to them in their food and they became calm. We published our findings about the effectiveness in the end. The only part I didn't agree with was the gassing of the mice at the end of the experiment. Of course, the rationale was that they have a two year life span anyway and we had them for at least that long. We couldn't give them Ritalin forever. They were euthanized only because no one would take them. I took some home, as did my lab partner, but there's no way a pet store would take over a hundred hyper mice. LOL! blaugh

If animals can help find a cure for diseases, I'm all for it. I prefer they didn't treat them cruely for it though. Our mice were well cared for and had lots of room to play in clean, well-lit cages with wheels for exercise and fresh food and water. I know some places are deplorable and there's no excuse for that. gonk  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:18 pm
IMWanderling
Goddess Ace

While in University, I worked in the mouse lab in the Psych department. We were conducting studies on the effects of Ritalin. These mice were bred specifically with ADHD. We called them popcorn mice because they bounced around a lot. We did not hurt the mice at all. We administered Ritalin to them in their food and they became calm. We published our findings about the effectiveness in the end. The only part I didn't agree with was the gassing of the mice at the end of the experiment. Of course, the rationale was that they have a two year life span anyway and we had them for at least that long. We couldn't give them Ritalin forever. They were euthanized only because no one would take them. I took some home, as did my lab partner, but there's no way a pet store would take over a hundred hyper mice. LOL! blaugh

If animals can help find a cure for diseases, I'm all for it. I prefer they didn't treat them cruely for it though. Our mice were well cared for and had lots of room to play in clean, well-lit cages with wheels for exercise and fresh food and water. I know some places are deplorable and there's no excuse for that. gonk

LOL @ Popcorn Mice

I disagree with animals being treated poorly as being in nasty cages but if they're to help find cures, I'm for it.  

Goddess Ace
Crew

Extended Discussion!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas