Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Christianity as the main religion taught in schools? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

J-E-O-C

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 pm
Suzuna
Well, it dependson where ya live. It's mainly about what the minority of the country is. For example, America is mostly white people, so there's gonna be a lotta Christianity.

the majority is hispanic. the midwest and eastern part are majority white. but as a whole hispanics are the majority. Schools should not teach anything about religon other than the bare minimum needed to understand history AND IT NEEDS TO BE UNBIASED!!!! i am exteremely sick of the chistianity-centric bias in the american educational system.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:49 pm
i happen to go to catholic school, but that does not change my opinion on these things. Everyone has their own religon and it should be respected wherever you are.People should not be judjed by their religon. I might have strayed off topic a bit... xp  

Limitless Love

Red Dye #2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:28 am
either have single schools dedicated to single religion OR teach them all equally in schools OR don't teach it at all. We are our surroundings, any sort of bias' around will be absorbed by us and it's very hard to realize we can think for ourselves when we're older.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:50 pm
jeoc
Suzuna
Well, it dependson where ya live. It's mainly about what the minority of the country is. For example, America is mostly white people, so there's gonna be a lotta Christianity.

the majority is hispanic. the midwest and eastern part are majority white. but as a whole hispanics are the majority. Schools should not teach anything about religon other than the bare minimum needed to understand history AND IT NEEDS TO BE UNBIASED!!!! i am exteremely sick of the chistianity-centric bias in the american educational system.

Just because they are white doesn't mean they are christians. In my school (and every other school I know of) Teachers can't do things like put on nativity plays and stuff. Ya, If you want you can sit down and pray before class, but the teachers can't.  

Schala_Yong

CabooseRIF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:44 pm
I think favoring one religion should be avoided as school subjects, maybe not so much in elementry, but at least in higher up grades.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:33 pm
Hmm well, up here in Canada. Or at least in the city im living in we do not have any religous acts, cept for christmas concerts but does not re enact the events of Jesus. Just random plays. But getting to the point isn't a school there to teach? Just keep it simple, a school is to teach ppl academically. And everything else like your beliefs, actions, or even relgion should be kept out. Im not saying its a bad thing, religion but School is a place of learning.  

Vengeful-Suicide

Akut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:24 am
Well, I've read every post in this topic. I, for one, believe that state and religion have no business together. One thing is running a country for the well-being of its citizens, other is a completely subjective subject. I mean, people have their own beliefs and principles, and if the state imposes them, then it's denying basic fundamental human rights.

As far as Christianity is concerned in World History classes, I'm from Europe, and believe it when I say that it is virtually impossible to understand a great deal of events without mentioning and studying religious matters. With this exception, I think that (ANY) religion should be accessible in schools, just not mandatorial.

To finish, I think that Christmas is less and less a religious matter.  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff