Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nadian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:16 pm
Kain_Killer
I am buying the PS3 regardless of the price. I have been saving up...yay for delievering papers and cutting yards! The price though, no matter how many people complain about it, is perfectly reasonable considering what technology the PS3 uses. What did upset me though, was the price of the games. But, to help with that, I got Game Fly. Yay for GF!

@ Gamer014: I plan on buying the PS3 for those reasons as well.

The only reason the PS3 is "worth the cost" is because it's also a Blu-ray player. The point is that the PS3 is a cheap Blu-ray player but an expensive gaming console and the only reason it's expensive in the first place is because of the Blu-ray technology. For people who don't care about Blu-ray and really just want to play the games ('cause it's a GAMING console) it's a huge rip-off.

Perhaps an argument could be made that going to HD would require more space, however I'd counter by pointing out that most people don't have HD. They won't be able to take advantage of it at all. There's this ridiculous mentality of "HD is available! We have to nudge the market in that direction to encourage people to continue to be consuming sheep while being locked down more and more under DRM chains."

I mean, I know that's what lots of companies want, but to seem so blatant about it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (They even put those damn things right next to my anime at Fry's!)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:41 am
zentlair
My God... You're serious?? $600 dollars??? Nobody has that much, especially a young gamer (take my brother who is twelve for example). People working minimum wage would have to work 75 hours to earn that... if they didn't have any other expenses! gonk

My Lord I just have to wonder what the Revolution will cost when it comes out... I'm sure it cannot be any worse. How utterly ridiculous!!

Nintendo's next gen model is rather cheap, it's supposed to be coming out around $150 US I beleive is what I heard watching the G4 coverage a few months ago.  

zeropheonix

Altae

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:21 pm
x KATSUKU x
Nintendo's next gen model is rather cheap, it's supposed to be coming out around $150 US I beleive is what I heard watching the G4 coverage a few months ago.

$150? I wish, but I doubt Nintendo would price it that low. They've already said that it will be no more than 250$, and most of my sources of information are projecting the price at 200-250$. There's a lot of room for guessing though, Nintendo has kept quiet since E3.

But compared to the PS3, 250$ is still dirt cheap.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:31 pm
sweatdrop Whatever happened to the console costing $99.99 and coming with one game and two controllers. And I, too, refuse to pay no more than $150.00 for a video game. Which is why I don't own an X-BOX or X-BOX 360. stressed  

Spooky

Everyday Spook

50,350 Points
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Haunter 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50

Jackalope2
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:03 pm
The PS3 is expensive because Sony wants to milk their fanbase for all that they're worth, and then some. Blu-ray, while a pretty good concept, is BULLSHIT for a gaming console. Seriously, how many games are going to come out at the 30 gigabyte mark, or 50 for a dual-layer? The resources required to fill up that much space on a disc will drive the game prices even higher. There's also been numerous issues with the whole BR format in general, because it forces the CD and DVD manufacturers to totally retool for the special disks. HD-DVD is similar enough to regular DVD that there would be almost no need for such a retrofit. The BR disks themselves (no data) currently cost about $6 apiece, while DL DVD-RW discs aren't even half that.

As for the whole High Definition thing, we'll all have to switch over to it by 2009 anyway last time I heard. One can get a fairly cheap (850 dollars or so) HD TV right now, which, when you think of TV's, isn't much. I've seen ones with a built-in tuner going for $1200 at my local Sam's Club. Sony also happens to make HD TV's, so it probably figured it might as well sell something that can go with not one, but TWO of its televisions. By the time 2009 rolls around, I expect to see HD's selling for as little as 5 or 6 hundred dollars. Also, you can just get an adapter for HDMI or something similar to go into an RGB monitor, for much cheaper than a TV too. High Def isn't something you can b***h about anymore really, because it's just not worth all the fuss.

Another reason for the insane price is the Cell processor it uses. This thing supposedly beats out almost all the current CPU's from Intel and AMD in terms of power. IBM, Toshiba, and Sony teamed up for this little venture, and all will expect to get a certain share of its profits. This translates to an even higher price the consumer has to pay, just to keep these companies happy.

One may argue that the PS3 isn't just a gaming console, but also a Multimedia device. To them I say, SO ARE PC'S AND MAC'S!!! I'd rather do all my music and the like with a keyboard, mouse, etc than with a controller that only has maybe ten buttons if that? And speaking of the controller, it's STILL pretty much the same from the PS1 version. Sure, there's some tilt function of maybe 15 degrees or so on each axis, but so what? Compared with the Wii's 360 on ALL axes, it sucks.(Really, 1080 compared to 45? I wonder who's got the better goods...) Let's see some innovation that is actually revolutionary Sony!! Or at the very least worth the price for it's so-called 'novelty'. Whatever happened to that Batarang controller anyway?

I'm sorry Sony, but you've made a big blunder this time. There may be a lot of fans that will support you no matter what you do, but that number is going downhill. Publishers and developers want their games to actually sell, so what good will the game do if its system is too ridiculous to buy? It's the hardware and name that first makes the console, not the games. I don't care if the PS2 had the most RPG's or fighters or even library of total games last generation, because that was then, and this is now. (The Cube's controller is better for fighters anyway)

Actually, I'm not sorry about that, because Sony has always been lagging in my eyes, and these flaws in its gameplan only prove my thoughts. GO WII! GO NINTENDO!! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:40 am
Well, for one, I could care less about online gaming. Online gaming in its own is overrated if you ask me. Now, I don't know much about details on the PS3, but in order for ME to keep playing the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series and Metal Gear Solid series, I'll be buying a PS3. As for what it can do to a computer and all of that s**t, I could care less since I don't play computer games or PS2 games online to begin with. I'm a loyal PlayStation fan as it is. Bash me all you want for it, 'cause I don't care about your opinion on my thoughts and beliefs. As for Apple making a gaming system, they'd be ripped apart in the console wars. Apple going against Nintendo, Sony AND Microsoft? Come on, ask yourself that question. Apple's computers are s**t as is in my opinion. I say that because that's what my high school used and they WERE s**t.
But back to the whole PS3 thing. WHO CARES IF THEY STOLE OTHER COMPANIES IDEAS? It's a ******** dog eat dog world. Are you people getting pissed because Sony's PlayStation brand is becoming increasingly popular? PlayStation has some of THE BEST game titles under their belt, and they can show for it. I'm not saying that Nintendo can't, because that company is revered as a legend in the gaming industry. Mario, Zelda and such. I never was a Nintendo fan, but I respect the company for what they've done for this industry that we love.
Although, I do agree with you folks on the prices of the PS3. It'll bleed me ******** dry, but I'm willing to do that for the Metal Gear Solid series, the Final Fantasy "series", and the Kingdom Hearts series. The prices pisses me off, but I'm willing to pay it for my favorite games. By the way, I'm not rich like the rest of us here. I live in Las Vegas and I make only $10.00 an hour. You might think it's a lot, but not here. This is an EXPENSIVE city.
So just take your thumb and shove it up your a** and swallow a ******** chill pill. If you NEVER planned on buying a PS3, then why ******** b***h about it?  

I Am Your Disasterpiece

I Am Your Disasterpiece

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:41 am
Pulga
So the PS3 costs $500 for the 20GB version, and $600 for the 60GB one. Sony stole Xbox Live's interface, and Wii's contoler idea. I don't have enough, neither does the average gamer.

No "average gamer" is willing to dish out that much for a gaming system because they're not a diehard gamer. How many average gamers did you see lined up outside of a Best Buy waiting to get a 360? And... Are you even sure that the PS3 that they're showing off now is actually going to be the final product? Was the final product for the PS3 even shown at E3 '06?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:55 pm
i'ved gaved up on ps3 the date and price is too big  

Fullmetal Soul Trader

Angelic Light Blue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:39 am
Yuki Himura
As for Apple making a gaming system, they'd be ripped apart in the console wars. Apple going against Nintendo, Sony AND Microsoft? Come on, ask yourself that question. Apple's computers are sh!t as is in my opinion. I say that because that's what my high school used and they WERE sh!t.

They already did.
Mind you, that was in the 1990's, when Apple was dying and sucked.

You're used to Windows, so Apple computers are confusing. They aren't poop, they are different. Thank you.

Now then, Jackelope, your post is quite good.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:50 am
Angelic Light Blue
Yuki Himura
As for Apple making a gaming system, they'd be ripped apart in the console wars. Apple going against Nintendo, Sony AND Microsoft? Come on, ask yourself that question. Apple's computers are sh!t as is in my opinion. I say that because that's what my high school used and they WERE sh!t.

They already did.
Mind you, that was in the 1990's, when Apple was dying and sucked.

You're used to Windows, so Apple computers are confusing. They aren't poop, they are different. Thank you.

Now then, Jackelope, your post is quite good.

^^ Thank you.

On a different note, I was raised on DOS, and then went over to Windows 3.1. Then I fiddled with macs, since my dad had some great games for his. And in all honesty, Macs are better than Windows PCs in many an area. For anything along the lines of graphics or multimedia, they kick the typical PC's a** to kindom come. You remember the opening sequences to the Star Trek spinoffs, such as TNG and Deep Space 9? Yup, those were done on Macs. I'm digressing though.

One of the last things I'm going to say about the consoles, is don't buy a console for ONE, and ONLY ONE GAME!! Seriously, buying a minimum $500 console for a $50 game that might last you 5 days.. is ludicrous, and will most likely result in selling of said items for less than they are worth just because you still can't find someone to get it full-price.

Yes, I'm a hardware geek... And proud of it!  

Jackalope2
Crew

Lyokia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:58 pm
yeah, ps3 is a dissapointing price...although it did drop...20%? or 30% in japan due to a lack of sales.

The thing is though, i'll prob get one once the price drops (like alot...like when ps4 comes out haha) because, the games I like are mostly on playstations. I enjoy the weird bizzare japanese games and the other systems don't do it for me in that department. (and my brother is already planning his wii purchase.)  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:35 pm
I don't think that this has been addressed yet, but the PS3 is huger then the XBOX. I mean, as large as an average torso, i've seen a picture. I think.  

KrystalRay

Jackalope2
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:55 pm
Whatever happens to it, hopefully people will post pics when it arrives this month. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:47 pm
dudes ,the PS3 has bee realled ,theres somethin up with the sound , no sound ,and rapy graphics  

skittles545

iViggs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:52 pm
perosnally i wouldn't get the PS3 because it costs too much  
"TDX" Tails Doll X - Video-Gaming Subforum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items