27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
maligning
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
and offending others!
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
oh ok, and sometimes complimenting too..
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
but insults are more FUN
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
a safe gold option too..
37%
 37%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 37

Rhiannon2006

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:50 pm
I'm sure everyone's heard of "kit and kaboodle" (everything or all of it).
Example: He took the whole "kit and kaboodle."

There was one my granddaddy said, that to this day, I haven't figured out the origin. "Skin the cat." I must have been around 6 or so and my playset had a set of metal rings hanging from chains... much like the rings the men have in the Olympics/ gymnastics. He saw me playing on them and asked if I could "skin the cat." I had no idea what he meant. He rephrased his question, asking if I could a flip over with the bars. I could and demonstrated. Then he said, "Okay, now skin the cat. Do it backwards." From then on, "skin the cat" meant a backwards flip. Anyone else ever hear this term before?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:16 am
sisu1969
What a fun thread!

Around here "dig in" means to start eating. As in "Dig in you guys before the foods all gone!"
I "tuck in" my kids to bed at night. (OK, well my two year old anyway, the others I just send off to bed with a kiss and a hug.)

Let's see... the pot calling the kettle black. (means you do the same as whatever you are accusing the other person of doing.)

Get off your high horse (don't be so uppity thinking you are better than everyone else)

Hold your horses. (Don't be in such a rush)

When I was young we'd insult people by calling them "Richard Cranium" (d**k Head)

I'll write more as I think of them.

We use all these phrases in England too 3nodding Though as Harbone said tuck in as opposed to dig in when refering to food 3nodding many older educational establishments such as boarding schools have 'tuck shops' that sell sweets. But tucker is a term that i associate with Australia ninja  

Poppetta

Rhiannon2006

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:53 am
I loved hearing my dad yell at my brother when he dragged in past curfew...

"Where were you? Out gallivanting till all hours with those friends of yours?"

Dad's bark was always worse than his bite. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:06 pm
Rhiannon2006

There was one my granddaddy said, that to this day, I haven't figured out the origin. "Skin the cat." I must have been around 6 or so and my playset had a set of metal rings hanging from chains... much like the rings the men have in the Olympics/ gymnastics. He saw me playing on them and asked if I could "skin the cat." I had no idea what he meant. He rephrased his question, asking if I could a flip over with the bars. I could and demonstrated. Then he said, "Okay, now skin the cat. Do it backwards." From then on, "skin the cat" meant a backwards flip. Anyone else ever hear this term before?

My mom used to say, 'There is more than one way to skin a cat'
(I used to think that was pretty gross.) But I took it to mean there is more than one way to get a particularly difficult job done.  

sisu1969

Rhiannon2006

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:50 pm
sisu1969
Rhiannon2006

My mom used to say, 'There is more than one way to skin a cat'
(I used to think that was pretty gross.) But I took it to mean there is more than one way to get a particularly difficult job done.

Between my granddad and your mom, there must have been some very naked cats running around... *checking PetsMart for kitty clothes* 4laugh  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:05 pm
Oh, I've heard so many of these... bringing back some memories...

Skinning the cat ~ solving the problem another way 3nodding
Beat us up one-side and down the other 3nodding
Kit & Kaboodle, galivanting, the horse phrases, pot/kettle ~ yup some of us coulda almost grown up together lol

My mom tells a story on my grandfather from when he was a young boy (with 11 sibs). One of his younger sibs went into the house saying, "Salmon Ditch." Needless to say, didn't take my great grandmom much to figure out what he was really attempting to say, and boy was grandad in a good deal of trouble. Needless to say, we use "Salmon Ditch" frequently.

More family specials ~ you'll be home by midnight, or you're shoes will turn into pumpkins... eek
Your a** is gonna be grass, and I'm the biggest lawnmower you've ever seen... emo
and from dear old dad: "I'm gonna kick your a** up between your shoulderblades, you'll part your hair to wipe." gonk

Don't know if my family is just really warped, or if other parents/families had oddball sayings that seem to be unique. sweatdrop  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Rhiannon2006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:06 pm
Lil Brat
Oh, I've heard so many of these... bringing back some memories...

Skinning the cat ~ solving the problem another way 3nodding
Beat us up one-side and down the other 3nodding
Kit & Kaboodle, galivanting, the horse phrases, pot/kettle ~ yup some of us coulda almost grown up together lol

My mom tells a story on my grandfather from when he was a young boy (with 11 sibs). One of his younger sibs went into the house saying, "Salmon Ditch." Needless to say, didn't take my great grandmom much to figure out what he was really attempting to say, and boy was grandad in a good deal of trouble. Needless to say, we use "Salmon Ditch" frequently.

More family specials ~ you'll be home by midnight, or you're shoes will turn into pumpkins... eek
Your a** is gonna be grass, and I'm the biggest lawnmower you've ever seen... emo
and from dear old dad: "I'm gonna kick your a** up between your shoulderblades, you'll part your hair to wipe." gonk

Don't know if my family is just really warped, or if other parents/families had oddball sayings that seem to be unique. sweatdrop

rofl I think you're right. We're all long lost cousins! I love this thread! Bringing back a lot of good memories. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:26 pm
lol!! i love the shoulderblades comment, that's great 3nodding  

Poppetta

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:01 pm
Still find myself saying this one occasionally: "What's that got to do with the price of tea in China." The younger crowd get a rather baffled look at that expression, "what's tea in China got to do with it", my point in exactly, luv. rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:36 pm
the English equivalent of that is the price of bacon lol  

Poppetta

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:18 pm
How about the term "Normalcy?" It gets tossed around out here on the Front Range from time to time.

At first I thought "Return to Normalcy" was referring to a bishop going back home.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:26 pm
http://www.heptune.com/fartword.html#flatus

A true tour de force of potty humor...  

Gambitpoet

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:40 pm
Normally, I dislike potty humor. But this does have a great many ways to say "Expelled Gas" and it's cross-cultural, too!

We Got Ourselves... hey, wait a second! How does "We Got Ourselves a situation, here" go over in other parts of the world. "We Got Ourselves" is still pretty much a common construction among the more horrible denizens of this state.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:47 pm
we had an assignment in college to come up with a word or current one and explain its meanings etc how it was used for multiple things blah blah

so I used Crieky being the good kiwi smile

translation - lots of cuss words I can't repeat, oh gosh, what the heck?, wow etc.  

Elspeth Telrunya

Isbjorn

6,000 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:33 pm
Some of my favorites are: "somebody's kids" which I like to follow with "Not mine". Generally the first is said when I do something naughty like steal the computer from my mom. She's learned though and started following my follow up with "no, but you're related".
Another favorite of mine is "You did what to who for how many cheerios??" I say this when someone has mumbled or said something I didn't understand, though I also say "you shaved who now?" Gets a few funny looks but it's worth it.
One of my favorite come backs to the ever popular Smartass is "it's better to be a smart a** than a dumbass."
Course there is also the regulars like "hold your pea picking horses" and "in a coons age" "son a of a biscuit", "holy beans" and a few others.  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff