Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
Why the big Deal? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Love?
  And Peace!!!
View Results

angel_half82
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:23 pm
I bet fox news believes its both too. idea  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:24 pm
why? (we dont get fox here xp )  

Iconised Ghost

Awiergan Resurrection

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 pm
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection
teh sexiful nerdy
I believe that homosexuality is a mental disease and a sin.

I knew something was bugging me about this statement, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Perhaps because I haven't read the bible in quite a while.

But I do remember a good bit of it.

1st Corinthians 10:13: No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.

Sin is a product of temptation.
Now I assume you know what this verse means. "Mental Diseases" are not as sin, because not EVERYONE has them. Temptation affects us all. I've been tempted to break every one of the commandments at some point, and I imagine you have to.

Here's where we run into a problem: I've been tempted by homosexuality. I've been attracted to other men. Yet I am not homosexual. I do not have a mental disease. I am able to resist the temptation.

You see, you've created a logical fallacy.

If all sins are common to man, which is true according to the bible, AND all homosexuality is a sin, AND homosexuality was a mental disease, as you say, then the following MUST be true:

1. Everyone is homosexual.
2. Everyone has a mental disease.

Unfortunately for you, these are NOT true. This means that EITHER homosexuality is NOT a sin, or homosexuality is NOT a mental disease.

I personally think it may very well be a sin, which is why I believe it's NOT a mental disease.

Many Christians believe that it is NOT a sin, NOR a mental disease.

Some people believe it's NOT a sin, but is a mental disease.

Only the ignorant believe that it is BOTH a sin AND a mental disease, because the two are exclusive of each other. The categories "sin" and "mental disease" cannot overlap, at all, according to the cited verse.

and to throw something else into the mix, some people dont believe in mental illnesses either. The medical model of psychosis is a faulty one indeed

I personally think that psychotic people are in fact, very strong individuals. Detachment from reality allows them to function on a God-like level, allowing them to perform in a way that other people never could. Not only physically, but they are capable of cold murder and dark crimes that ordinary people would be psychologically torn apart by.

I believe the "insane" are simply people who failed to achieve this state of psychological strength, and lost ability to function as a side effect.

But if psychosis can be accomplished WITHOUT the insanity, in other words, a psychotic individual still aware of their actions but not of the repercussions, would make the ultimate soldier, capable of doing anything without fear or shame. Quite the concept.

Even though I'm off topic.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 pm
Awiergan Resurrection
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection
teh sexiful nerdy

I knew something was bugging me about this statement, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Perhaps because I haven't read the bible in quite a while.

But I do remember a good bit of it.

1st Corinthians 10:13: No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.

Sin is a product of temptation.
Now I assume you know what this verse means. "Mental Diseases" are not as sin, because not EVERYONE has them. Temptation affects us all. I've been tempted to break every one of the commandments at some point, and I imagine you have to.

Here's where we run into a problem: I've been tempted by homosexuality. I've been attracted to other men. Yet I am not homosexual. I do not have a mental disease. I am able to resist the temptation.

You see, you've created a logical fallacy.

If all sins are common to man, which is true according to the bible, AND all homosexuality is a sin, AND homosexuality was a mental disease, as you say, then the following MUST be true:

1. Everyone is homosexual.
2. Everyone has a mental disease.

Unfortunately for you, these are NOT true. This means that EITHER homosexuality is NOT a sin, or homosexuality is NOT a mental disease.

I personally think it may very well be a sin, which is why I believe it's NOT a mental disease.

Many Christians believe that it is NOT a sin, NOR a mental disease.

Some people believe it's NOT a sin, but is a mental disease.

Only the ignorant believe that it is BOTH a sin AND a mental disease, because the two are exclusive of each other. The categories "sin" and "mental disease" cannot overlap, at all, according to the cited verse.

and to throw something else into the mix, some people dont believe in mental illnesses either. The medical model of psychosis is a faulty one indeed

I personally think that psychotic people are in fact, very strong individuals. Detachment from reality allows them to function on a God-like level, allowing them to perform in a way that other people never could. Not only physically, but they are capable of cold murder and dark crimes that ordinary people would be psychologically torn apart by.

I believe the "insane" are simply people who failed to achieve this state of psychological strength, and lost ability to function as a side effect.

But if psychosis can be accomplished WITHOUT the insanity, in other words, a psychotic individual still aware of their actions but not of the repercussions, would make the ultimate soldier, capable of doing anything without fear or shame. Quite the concept.

Even though I'm off topic.

For the most part, just to be able to function somewhat in society while being psychotic takes a huge amount of strength. By definition though, I dont think psychosis can be achieved without insanity. But "insanity" is not something that we refer to a lot in psych lol mrgreen  

Iconised Ghost

angel_half82
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 pm
Iconised Ghost

If you ever get a chance to catch an episode of Fox news you will immediately understand why I say that.

@trev: You are speaking as if you are on some type of smokable green substance. rofl My wife's half brother gets high all the damn time and talks about stuff like that. *goes to watch shin chan*  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:34 pm
angel_half82
Iconised Ghost

If you ever get a chance to catch an episode of Fox news you will immediately understand why I say that.

@trev: You are speaking as if you are on some type of smokable green substance. rofl My wife's half brother gets high all the damn time and talks about stuff like that. *goes to watch shin chan*

Surely you've thought (at least at one point), what it'd be like to be psychotic? Don't you ever want to know if you could "handle" it? Haven't you ever wished to test the limits of your own mental stability?

Just like proving your PHYSICAL strength by lifting weights, or proving your INTELLECTUAL strength by taking tests. We don't get much chance to test our PSYCHOLOGICAL strength.

No weed, I'm afraid. >.>
My mind is still just this ******** up from watching Higurashi. >.>  

Awiergan Resurrection

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:39 pm
Awiergan Resurrection
angel_half82
Iconised Ghost

Surely you've thought (at least at one point), what it'd be like to be psychotic? Don't you ever want to know if you could "handle" it? Haven't you ever wished to test the limits of your own mental stability?

Just like proving your PHYSICAL strength by lifting weights, or proving your INTELLECTUAL strength by taking tests. We don't get much chance to test our PSYCHOLOGICAL strength.

No weed, I'm afraid. >.>

I'll try and find some fox news xd

i often wonder what it would be like, but i dont want to experience it personally >.< the mental torment...my lecturer once tried antipsychotic drugs though. his patients were complaining and didnt want to take them because of the side effects. So he tried them and apparently it was horrible. Although he did take a maintenance dose, poor bugger  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 pm
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection
angel_half82
Iconised Ghost

No weed, I'm afraid. >.>

i often wonder what it would be like, but i dont want to experience it personally >.< the mental torment...my lecturer once tried antipsychotic drugs though. his patients were complaining and didnt want to take them because of the side effects. So he tried them and apparently it was horrible. Although he did take a maintenance dose, poor bugger

I have a strong allergy to that line of drug.

My psychiatrist tried several times with various drugs, as I am bipolar. Every time, I had horrible reactions, ranging from skin rashes to excessive sleepiness. Many of these "side-effects" were not normally associated with the drug I was taking. After taking at least 10 different medications, he gave up and put me on Tenex, to lower my blood pressure and calm me. I took it up until last year, at which point I finally quit.

>.> And I'm not really sure why I just said that.  

Awiergan Resurrection

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:48 pm
Awiergan Resurrection
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection
angel_half82
Iconised Ghost

No weed, I'm afraid. >.>

My psychiatrist tried several times with various drugs, as I am bipolar. Every time, I had horrible reactions, ranging from skin rashes to excessive sleepiness. Many of these "side-effects" were not normally associated with the drug I was taking. After taking at least 10 different medications, he gave up and put me on Tenex, to lower my blood pressure and calm me. I took it up until last year, at which point I finally quit.

did u try any other kinds of treatment? Therapy, alternative therapies etc? My thesis is going to be in that, so its kinda my special interest ^_^ im going to save the world, drug free!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:07 pm
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection
angel_half82
Iconised Ghost

No weed, I'm afraid. >.>

did u try any other kinds of treatment? Therapy, alternative therapies etc? My thesis is going to be in that, so its kinda my special interest ^_^ im going to save the world, drug free!

I've visited a psychologist for counseling sessions from 5th grade on. I still visit her, in fact, though less often (a few times a year at most). The activities varied depending on the feedback that my parents provided.

As far as dealing with Bipolar disorder, early on, she encouraged me to write out my feelings, which didn't really work as I suffered from minor dysgraphia (also known as written-expression-disability, though I later found that typing made this much less of a problem).

She'd encourage me to draw things out on paper, instead of getting angry at people. The problem was, she always encouraged the use of crayons, and drawing within a round circle on the piece of paper, claiming that the "borders" helped people organize their thoughts. I found this quite difficult as well, as it obstructed whatever I wanted to draw.

As far as other problems went, I tended to be intellectually ahead of others, but emotionally immature, leading for quite difficult situations. In order to help with this, we did activities with literally sheets of emoticons, in which I was supposed to determine what each one was feeling.
surprised happy
sad sad
confused confused
etc.

I honestly can't remember what all we did. We did breathing exercises, exercises to help me sleep (as I also suffered insomnia), role-playing activities to instruct me on how to properly address people, etc. She tried putting me on Omega-3 fatty acid, until we soon found out I was allergic to codfish, which it is made from. >.<

With ADD, OCD, dysgraphia, and bipolar disorder, we never really ran out of stuff for me to work on. ._. I guess I was a pretty messed up kid back then. Though now, I rarely show symptoms of OCD, and am practically clear of everything else.

This is one reason why I wonder what would happen if I experienced severe psychological trauma. I wonder if the exercises I've been through would be a practical immunization, or if all the disorders I previously struggled with would suddenly grow unmanageably again.  

Awiergan Resurrection

YukaSilkenFur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:32 pm
@ Awiergan: I think about that stuff every now and then. I believe I could handle it. Possibly the only thing that has kept me from commiting some "cold" and violent act on others is that I've always either had too much I wanted to do that would be affected if I got caught or I just didn't deem the people as worth my time.
Mind you, I'd prefer to have a reason to kill someone. Sexual offenders are right at the top of my list. ***** especially.

As to me joining you in the off topicness. >> I'm allowed cus I already have one incredibly long post in this and I'm tired. Haha! :dance:

I go bed now...  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:34 pm
teh sexiful nerdy

that being said, I don't have anything personal against homosexuals as people. They can be nice people, they can be mean people. That's all choices.

however, I do beleive that you cannot be homosexual and be christian. The bible states that homosexuality is wrong (Leviticus). In fact, the commandment that is against adultery includes relations with someone who is not your spouse, and fornication with someone to whom you are not married. And, since according to the bible marriage is for a man and a woman, homosexuality is automatically wrong.

oh and BTW The Old Testament is indeed part of the christian bible because while it was written down by Jewish people, it was written by God, through visions in which he told those men what he wanted them to write.

And please, don't call yourself a christian is you're going to insist on using that language and promoting the view that marriage is for homosexuals.

Marriage is also only existing to create children. Procreation is the goal of humanity and no where in the bible does it tell otherwise. Also, EVERY child needs a father and a mother who are directly present in their life. No, an effeminate man or a manly woman is not good enough, Because of the way men and women are hard wired, there are specific needs which are filled by the mother and by the father which cannot be fullfilled by someone of the other gender. Along with this, i believe not in Divorce. But that is for another time.

leviticus also says you should never cut your hair, wear clothes of mixed fabric, etc etc etc. and the adultery commandment ALSO says to never look upon someone with lust who isn't your spouse. you SERIOUSLY want to tell me you've never crushed on someone? really?? and OMG angel and i have sex ALL THE ******** TIME! we've been married for 6 years and ZOMG! no babies! obviously we're sinners and therefore ********! rolleyes

if you're gonna pull ONE PART out of context in the bible, please be prepraed to pull ALL parts.

also, ftw, i really hope you're not one of those christians who are still using the ever-flawed king james version of the bible...seriously.

i mean, it was comissioned by a GAY PERSON! OMG! therefore, he had a mental disease and everything in whatever he wrote MUST be tainted by that!

i also don't think you can say "i think what they do is a mental disease and a sin" and NOT have nothing against them. confused

and O.M.G.

the bible is pretty blunt about NO ONE having the right to judge someone else, and yet, when i read your statements, they're FULL of judgements.

you don't have the right to tell someone to not call themselves a christian. in case you didn't know, the ONLY requirement to be a christian is a firm belief in jesus christ, sug. and seeing as how christ was accepting to EVERYONE, and christians are SUPPOSED to strive to be like him...well, i wouldn't tell you to not call yourself a christian, but you might want to look into becoming more christ-like if you'd like the label of christian.

just sayin'. 3nodding

also, i'm having flashbacks from the movie "saved" here....anyone else? sweatdrop  

WastelandMama
Crew

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:44 pm
Awiergan Resurrection
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection

No weed, I'm afraid. >.>

I've visited a psychologist for counseling sessions from 5th grade on. I still visit her, in fact, though less often (a few times a year at most). The activities varied depending on the feedback that my parents provided.

As far as dealing with Bipolar disorder, early on, she encouraged me to write out my feelings, which didn't really work as I suffered from minor dysgraphia (also known as written-expression-disability, though I later found that typing made this much less of a problem).

She'd encourage me to draw things out on paper, instead of getting angry at people. The problem was, she always encouraged the use of crayons, and drawing within a round circle on the piece of paper, claiming that the "borders" helped people organize their thoughts. I found this quite difficult as well, as it obstructed whatever I wanted to draw.

As far as other problems went, I tended to be intellectually ahead of others, but emotionally immature, leading for quite difficult situations. In order to help with this, we did activities with literally sheets of emoticons, in which I was supposed to determine what each one was feeling.
surprised happy
sad sad
confused confused
etc.

I honestly can't remember what all we did. We did breathing exercises, exercises to help me sleep (as I also suffered insomnia), role-playing activities to instruct me on how to properly address people, etc. She tried putting me on Omega-3 fatty acid, until we soon found out I was allergic to codfish, which it is made from. >.<

With ADD, OCD, dysgraphia, and bipolar disorder, we never really ran out of stuff for me to work on. ._. I guess I was a pretty messed up kid back then. Though now, I rarely show symptoms of OCD, and am practically clear of everything else.

This is one reason why I wonder what would happen if I experienced severe psychological trauma. I wonder if the exercises I've been through would be a practical immunization, or if all the disorders I previously struggled with would suddenly grow unmanageably again.

wow sounds like quite the life experience eek so would u say you found/find therapy useful, or would u rather take the drugs, if you could somehow get rid of the side effects?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:58 pm
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection
Iconised Ghost
Awiergan Resurrection

No weed, I'm afraid. >.>

surprised happy
sad sad
confused confused
etc.

wow sounds like quite the life experience eek so would u say you found/find therapy useful, or would u rather take the drugs, if you could somehow get rid of the side effects?

I didn't mind taking the drugs, honestly, but they were such an inconvenience. I found the therapy much more useful in the long-run. It took YEARS before it truly took hold, during which time the drugs (mainly Tenex) kept me on-track in school and allowed me to remain functional.

As of now, I choose not to take the drugs, because I'm capable of controlling myself without them. Their very nature seems to take something from your confidence. I'd rather rely on my own mental strength than a medication.

Now, even without the drugs, most people find me to be almost irrationally calm even in antagonizing situations, due to what I've learned. (Sometimes I am afraid that therapy made me into a pushover). I'm able to focus and work properly just with what I've learned, and that's good enough for me. Even if drugs could make further improvement, I wouldn't take them now. I feel that what minor symptoms I have left are too deeply woven into my personality and identity for me to want to remove them.

This is just how I feel. It may not be what's best for me, but it's how I've managed. Drugs have their place, and helped more than they hurt (except when I tried Adderall long term for ADD, as it severely worsened my bipolar symptoms, which I couldn't treat by medication). But I don't believe drugs would do me any good nowadays.  

Awiergan Resurrection

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:07 pm
yes its always tricky deciding how much is the "disorder/s" and how much is just you. My grandmother is schizophrenic, and was only diagnosed when she was about 78, but we've always considered her to be "a bit mad".

I've come to think of the drugs as bandaids- cover the symptoms until the wound heals, if you see what i mean ^_^'' but thats just me, personally ive never taken them so I may be talking out of my a** here  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff