Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
to vote or not to vote, that is the question! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

D: actually truth is Im just really lazy and I dont want to go..
  : / that is SOOOO un-American of you... oh wait D: ....
View Results

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:30 pm
bluegrass cat
Arianna Reece
I recognize there have been many great leaders. But women haven't even held the right to vote in this country for a hundred years yet. . .

neither have african-americans. so "oh noes!" you can't vote for obama OR condi!

i'm not saying the following to be mean or bitchy, BUT:

your level of ignorance on both our nation's place in the world, our history, and the average psyche of the modern american woman is astounding and gravely disturbing.

i highly suggest you educate yourself further before making any more posts in this thread, as you're only enabling others to mock you.

countries younger than america, and more powerful than us, have had female leaders in the past. it wasn't the downfall of their society.

i'm starting to believe that cannot POSSIBLY be a female, or that you've been brainwashed by someone with issues regarding females.

the stereotypical drivel you've posted about women in this thread makes me hope you get psychological assistance asap. because you have some serious issues, lady.

also, and this is almost too ridiculous to mention, but how is angelina jolie a slut? oh, that's right. she STOLE brad. yeah. cause its possible to STEAL a man, right? i mean, they have no brains @ all when it comes to women, amirite? har har har.

grow up, kid.

and if you are grown up, stop getting drunk and then posting.

rolleyes

ps: if this were livejournal, i'd swear you were a troll...but since its gaia, i guess you're just uneducated. stare
Knowledge ftw! I have to say that I was thinking the same things that you just said as I was reading her post.

@ Arianna: Double posting is against the guild's rules.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:44 pm
bluegrass cat

neither have african-americans. so "oh noes!" you can't vote for obama OR condi!

i'm not saying the following to be mean or bitchy, BUT:

your level of ignorance on both our nation's place in the world, our history, and the average psyche of the modern american woman is astounding and gravely disturbing.

i highly suggest you educate yourself further before making any more posts in this thread, as you're only enabling others to mock you.

countries younger than america, and more powerful than us, have had female leaders in the past. it wasn't the downfall of their society.

i'm starting to believe that cannot POSSIBLY be a female, or that you've been brainwashed by someone with issues regarding females.

the stereotypical drivel you've posted about women in this thread makes me hope you get psychological assistance asap. because you have some serious issues, lady.

also, and this is almost too ridiculous to mention, but how is angelina jolie a slut? oh, that's right. she STOLE brad. yeah. cause its possible to STEAL a man, right? i mean, they have no brains @ all when it comes to women, amirite? har har har.

grow up, kid.

and if you are grown up, stop getting drunk and then posting.

rolleyes

ps: if this were livejournal, i'd swear you were a troll...but since its gaia, i guess you're just uneducated. stare

No, I'm actually just bored. This is quite fun, really. But to simply state, when I mentioned Condoleeza, it was a hypothetical situation which I was comparing her and Hilary. And I never even mentioned anything about Obama, the statement wasn't even directed toward him. Twisting my words won't do you any good.

And other countries have other ways of handling things. I'm sure if our restaurants started serving cats rather than beef, much like China, then there would be some issues. People here wouldn't like that too well. Likewise, we have differences. I don't understand why that's so difficult to recognize. I know that we can do it, we're not so pathetic that we can't accept a female leader. But I'm just saying we're not quite ready for it as of right now.

Angelina Jolie was just the first who came to mind when I was trying to think of a celebrity. I could care less if she "stole" Brad Pitt away. That wasn't really what upset me. What I found very disturbing about the incident was that I thought Jolie to be a very respectable person until she slept around with a taken man. That's the only part I was really referring to, thank you very much. But in all honesty, people look up to her more than they do figures such as Mother Teresa, and that bothers me as well.

One of the main issues that concerns me is that women have more of a tendency to shift who they are to please people. That's just a known fact regarding the female race, especially in America. If guys think girls are fat, then more than likely the girls are going to try and lose weight. The media has a huge impact on the face of politicians. I personally don't believe that a woman can handle the disrespect and mockery as well as a man can. I'm half afraid that Hilary or whomever might collapse under the public's opinion.

Metalic_Noodles

Humans are idiots as a whole, not all men are assholes, not all women are rash, but stereo types aren't created without a reason.

Hilary is more of a man than a woman, because this is such new territory and people don't know what the masses want from her. Few what her to be all pink and prissy, but then people disregard her when she acts just as boring as the other old men. I don't like her because she doesn't know who she is, she's just filling the mold that her advisors tell her the people want, and in effect loosing a lot.

I agree with her on this. There's a lot of pressure in such a political stand that I'm not so sure a woman is ready to presume here in the United States. The media is evil, and it can strip someone of all their dignity in less than five minutes on the air. We've all seen it with Bush, but somehow he doesn't really show that it phazes him. I'm sure it does to some extent, and I can't imagine how a woman might take it. Aside from the pressures of this country's issues, I'm not sure I'm ready to see how a woman handles that plus the bullshit we'll throw at her as well.

Metalic_Noodles

The person with the pink text is right, just a bit inflexible. Besides, it's all opinions anyway.

I just like the way she referred to me on that part x]

But she does bring up some good points. It's not that I'm uneducated. I would think that would be the last thing I've proven thus far. More or less, I just look at things, and I analyze just as everyone else does. Maybe I just look at things differently. Hell, I'd like to think it as logical to some extent. We have enough issues to deal with, and I'd hate to think that having a female president at this moment might cause more controversy than it's worth.

[Tsukasa567]

@ Arianna: Double posting is against the guild's rules.

I didn't feel like going back and editing it though x.x

Oh, and as a side note. I realize that if I'm ever arguing with anyone in these threads, it's always Bluegrass! I think we make fairly decent debating opponents. Though, our last one was over grammar and urban lingo. I think. That sounds about right.

Arianna Reece

churrlo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:54 pm
I feel everyone should vote... and if they use the "I don't know what's going on" excuse I'd tell them to read up. gonk People complain everyday about the bad job our leaders our doing, yet then they tell me they aren't going to go vote. You have to get out there and vote if you want, in your opinion, the best person leading our country! >.< A vote wasted is a terrible thing gonk  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:03 pm
If Lyss could vote, she'd write in herself. xD

None of the candidates have the same views that Lyss has.

Clinton keeps changing her views, which doesn't please Lyss.

So yep. If Lyss could run the country, she would. Alas, she can't.

Lyss The One In The Back
Crew

Pachelbel Canon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:18 pm
Guys are just as manipulatable as girls by the rest of society. It's just on different issues...wanting to be seen as manly, strong, athletic, brave, etc etc, which is why they tend towards certain behaviors just like women do. And Bluegrass' point earlier about Obama was not to put words in your mouth, she was just saying that if you're going to say Hillary shouldn't be president because women haven't had their rights very long, how do you justify voting for a black person, as they haven't had their rights as long as white men?

I guess there's not much of a point in arguing this, it really does come down to opinions and what you personally believe--though it sounds like you were spoon-fed this point of view by an overly traditional family.

EDIT: This post was directed at Arianna btw. And Lyss, if you ran I would vote for you! XD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:29 pm
Humans are idiots as a whole, not all men are assholes, not all women are rash, but stereo types aren't created without a reason.

are you kidding me?

are you SERIOUSLY kidding me???

stereotypes are most often created by a side who DOESN'T like whoever they're stereotyping.

i mean, do you really believe that enough african-americans like grape kool-aid, fried chicken and watermelon to justify the stereotype that they do??? ((or even that those particular favorite foods are exclusive to a skin color?))

do you REALLY think all women are vindictive, bitchy, devious whores? REALLY???

and do you REALLY think that all asians can do math but have tiny penises?

taken from wiki ((although i really don't like it as a source)):

A stereotype is a simplified and/or standardized conception or image with specific meaning, often held in common by one group of people about another group. A stereotype can be a conventional and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image, based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the other group hold in common. Stereotypes may be positive or negative in tone. They are typically generalizations based on minimal or limited knowledge about a group to which the person doing the stereotyping does not belong. Persons may be grouped based on race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or any number of other categories.

here's the definition from webster:

something conforming to a fixed or general pattern; especially : a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment

so, basically, saying that "oh, stereotypes exist because there's TRUTH behind them!" is like saying "oh, i'm too ignorant to look past shallow opinions about a group of people i know practically nothing about!"

stare

its stuff like this that makes us all look bad.

blessed is the man who, having nothing to stay, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact. - george eliot ((a pen name for mary ann evans, a victorian era author)).

and @ Arianna Reece: i don't argue with you on purpose, its just that when you dedicate yourself to educating young people and encounter such an intellectual vacuum, your first instinct is to try to balance it with rational and logical ideas. in other words, i'm not debating with you as i do not debate with children. i am attempting to educate you.

@ aprilness: heart

edit: and this bothers me, too: We have enough issues to deal with, and I'd hate to think that having a female president at this moment might cause more controversy than it's worth.

yeeeah, cause MAKING HISTORY isn't worth upsetting a few idiots with a** backwards ideas of how women should be...

sweatdrop makes me profoundly glad that we had the a**-kicking generations handling the bulk of the civil rights movement...doesn't give me much hope for the future though.

emo  

WastelandMama
Crew

Arianna Reece

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:24 pm
bluegrass cat

are you kidding me?

stereotypes are most often created by a side who DOESN'T like whoever they're stereotyping.

i mean, do you really believe that enough african-americans like grape kool-aid, fried chicken and watermelon to justify the stereotype that they do??? ((or even that those particular favorite foods are exclusive to a skin color?))

A stereotype is a simplified and/or standardized conception or image with specific meaning, often held in common by one group of people about another group. A stereotype can be a conventional and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image, based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the other group hold in common. Stereotypes may be positive or negative in tone. They are typically generalizations based on minimal or limited knowledge about a group to which the person doing the stereotyping does not belong. Persons may be grouped based on race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or any number of other categories.

something conforming to a fixed or general pattern; especially : a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment

so, basically, saying that "oh, stereotypes exist because there's TRUTH behind them!" is like saying "oh, i'm too ignorant to look past shallow opinions about a group of people i know practically nothing about!"

stare

blessed is the man who, having nothing to stay, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact. - george eliot ((a pen name for mary ann evans, a victorian era author)).

and @ Arianna Reece: i don't argue with you on purpose, its just that when you dedicate yourself to educating young people and encounter such an intellectual vacuum, your first instinct is to try to balance it with rational and logical ideas. in other words, i'm not debating with you as i do not debate with children. i am attempting to educate you.

edit: and this bothers me, too: We have enough issues to deal with, and I'd hate to think that having a female president at this moment might cause more controversy than it's worth.

yeeeah, cause MAKING HISTORY isn't worth upsetting a few idiots with a** backwards ideas of how women should be...

sweatdrop makes me profoundly glad that we had the a**-kicking generations handling the bulk of the civil rights movement...doesn't give me much hope for the future though.

emo

Dear, the Holocaust made history. Does that mean it was worth it?

And she never said that there was truth in the stereotypes, she said "stereotypes aren't created without a reason." That does not necessarily mean their true, it simply means they have qualities that might imply some sort of truth. Not exactly the same thing, though it would seem it could be close. Everyone fits into a stereotype. It helps to classify the world, I suppose. Not that they're always good. They aren't always bad, either.

But it's fun to rile you up. I'll be completely honest. I'm enjoying this discussion. Though, it's becoming a little harder for me to come up with new things to throw at you because I don't want to make a complete circle. I know for a fact that all women are not whores. But a large percentage of them are, and some of those women tend to make themselves quite known, and it does give the rest of us a bad name. That's just the way it goes, though not ever woman fits under the same "stereotype." We're all alike in some ways, and we're all different in others. Stereotypes are not 100% accurate, but they do show things that people have in common.

But anyway, I digress. I do have a traditional background and somewhat traditional beliefs. But I also have reasons for why I believe what I do. Everyone has their own reasons. I'm sure you even have reasons why you bring up random things that sometimes have nothing to do with the point you're trying to make. We all have to look like idiots at some time or another.

You shouldn't try to educate me. Although I appreciate your offer, I'm not interested in learning from you. However, I like the fact that you take the initiative to look stuff up for your posts. As you may have noticed, I'm running out of things to make up. Women can be as they wish. I expect them to come into office at some point or other, but I'm not hoping it will be right now. That's all this was. Somehow that simple statement was taken into the context that there should never be a female president in the United States, which is not what I said.

I'm not a close-minded idiot. I'm just looking out for my country the best I can in its current state. Maybe in the next election, but I really don't see it working out so well this year. God forbid you jump down my throat for stuff I didn't say. A little time might do us all well.

But I will still agree with the above statement, way above. "Humans are idiots as a whole." We can't get along with each other. But we still fight, knowing that little above nothing will be resolved. But all in all, I like arguing with you. You've made my night better. Thank you :]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 pm
Arianna Reece
[Dear, the Holocaust made history. Does that mean it was worth it?

are you comparing the election of a female us president and/or the civil rights movement to the holocaust?

cause if you are, i don't think even angel has a macro for an epic fail of that level. stare

back to the topic @ hand: if you're a good citizen, vote. if not, ******** off and stfu. no bitching allowed for abstainers! xd  

WastelandMama
Crew

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:55 am

I thought if you don't abstain you get preggers! xp Sorry, but it had to be said.

I didn't say all women were bitches either, but a whole lot of the girls I've ment sure as hell are, and someone's got to be teaching them how to do that.

Hilary... she's just trying too hard to be the first woman president. It's proabably more of her poor choise in campain manegment than anything else.

I'm not saying that we aren't ready, but that the campain managers and the canidates aren't ready. Their job is to win, but they are in unchartered waters. Same with obabma but he seems to have more control over his campain manigers.

I think it's more about having the right female canidate to choose from, and not just voting to be apart or to be able to see the first female president win. But for that to happen, my guess is that women running will need to become a norm, the public needs to see a difference beyond just that they are female. Once there are a few women running, and with an accually chance unlike past years, then we'll have a real chance at having a female presedent.

We fear the unknown, but still try to conquer it with nothing but brute forse. It's the human way.

Also, the decent, men and women, that would be great for the white house... are too decent to be able to deal with the hell pit that is the policits and campains to win. That, and they have families they accually love enough to not subject to that kind of tourture. (Think of Prinsess Daiana's motives)

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:01 am
Metalic_Noodles

I didn't say all women were bitches either, but a whole lot of the girls I've ment sure as hell are, and someone's got to be teaching them how to do that.

~Metalic_Noodles

A whole lot of men that I've met are bitches as well. Some more so than the women I know IMO  

Iconised Ghost

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:10 am
Arianna Reece
bluegrass cat

are you kidding me?

stare

emo

And she never said that there was truth in the stereotypes, she said "stereotypes aren't created without a reason." That does not necessarily mean their true, it simply means they have qualities that might imply some sort of truth. Not exactly the same thing, though it would seem it could be close. Everyone fits into a stereotype. It helps to classify the world, I suppose. Not that they're always good. They aren't always bad, either.

But it's fun to rile you up. I'll be completely honest. I'm enjoying this discussion. Though, it's becoming a little harder for me to come up with new things to throw at you because I don't want to make a complete circle. I know for a fact that all women are not whores. But a large percentage of them are, and some of those women tend to make themselves quite known, and it does give the rest of us a bad name. That's just the way it goes, though not ever woman fits under the same "stereotype." We're all alike in some ways, and we're all different in others. Stereotypes are not 100% accurate, but they do show things that people have in common.

But anyway, I digress. I do have a traditional background and somewhat traditional beliefs. But I also have reasons for why I believe what I do. Everyone has their own reasons. I'm sure you even have reasons why you bring up random things that sometimes have nothing to do with the point you're trying to make. We all have to look like idiots at some time or another.

You shouldn't try to educate me. Although I appreciate your offer, I'm not interested in learning from you. However, I like the fact that you take the initiative to look stuff up for your posts. As you may have noticed, I'm running out of things to make up. Women can be as they wish. I expect them to come into office at some point or other, but I'm not hoping it will be right now. That's all this was. Somehow that simple statement was taken into the context that there should never be a female president in the United States, which is not what I said.

I'm not a close-minded idiot. I'm just looking out for my country the best I can in its current state. Maybe in the next election, but I really don't see it working out so well this year. God forbid you jump down my throat for stuff I didn't say. A little time might do us all well.

But I will still agree with the above statement, way above. "Humans are idiots as a whole." We can't get along with each other. But we still fight, knowing that little above nothing will be resolved. But all in all, I like arguing with you. You've made my night better. Thank you :]

the Holocaust made history? What does that even have to do with this subject? you keep coming out of left field with these botched up analogies. How can you compare the god damn Holocaust to womens rights and a women president??! thats ridiculous!!

we dont have to twist your words for you, you keep twisting your own words and going around in damn circles. Ive never seen some one so closed of to reality :/

"I know for a fact that all women are not whores. But a large percentage of them are, and some of those women tend to make themselves quite known, and it does give the rest of us a bad name." God I dont even know what to say to that it makes me so angry. Its just plain wrong what your saying is so wrong on so many levels. Your upbringing or background isnt just traditional I am really starting to believe you have been brain washed by some anti-feminist cult!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:16 am
bluegrass cat
Arianna Reece
[Dear, the Holocaust made history. Does that mean it was worth it?

are you comparing the election of a female us president and/or the civil rights movement to the holocaust?

cause if you are, i don't think even angel has a macro for an epic fail of that level. stare

back to the topic @ hand: if you're a good citizen, vote. if not, ******** off and stfu. no bitching allowed for abstainers! xd

xP i should have read all the posts... you got it again. heart

Edit:

This isnt a double post its all in your mind ninja  

DoriRo

Anxious Bibliophile

17,050 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Hunter 50
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50

tsukasa_the_quiet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:16 am
Arianna Reece
bluegrass cat

are you kidding me?

stare

emo

I call bullshit on a large percentage of women being whores, because if they were, then I sure as hell would have had sex by now. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:02 am
Its a good debate and all but its also just feeding the troll. After arianna said she was just bored I would have stopped posting. If you really feel that way though Arianna I hope hiding behind ignorance works out for you.  

angel_half82
Crew

WastelandMama
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:33 am
angel_half82
Its a good debate and all but its also just feeding the troll. After arianna said she was just bored I would have stopped posting. If you really feel that way though Arianna I hope hiding behind ignorance works out for you.

yeah, i've stopped feeding it.

sad that fg4pg actually HAS a troll in it...

i should learn to go with my 1st instincts, yeah? sweatdrop  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces