Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fast Gold 4 Poor Gaians

Back to Guilds

A guild originally dedicated to helping earn gold that evolved into an awesome community of friends. Rekindling the flame anew! 

Tags: Gold, Contests, Anime, Chat, Random 

Reply General Discussion
how come pluto isn't a planet anymore? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

it's a POLE! Run!!!!
  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Results

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:22 pm
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
Wraith Bane
seeing such ignorance and lack of current events knowledge makes me want to hit some people over the head with encyclopedias.

if you're so smart, why don't you educate us? neutral

noooo! cause then he'd be taking MY job! crying

true xd but i still want to know what incredible knowledge he/she thinks they have that we are all so ignorant of rolleyes

uuuum...idk. maybe that there's magical aliens on pluto?

OH! or maybe that pluto is in fact, UNICORN PLANET!!!!

HEEEEEY~!

rofl

i just had images of charlie and friends running around on pluto xd the horror!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:41 pm
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
bluegrass cat
Iconised Ghost
Wraith Bane
seeing such ignorance and lack of current events knowledge makes me want to hit some people over the head with encyclopedias.

if you're so smart, why don't you educate us? neutral

noooo! cause then he'd be taking MY job! crying

true xd but i still want to know what incredible knowledge he/she thinks they have that we are all so ignorant of rolleyes

uuuum...idk. maybe that there's magical aliens on pluto?

OH! or maybe that pluto is in fact, UNICORN PLANET!!!!

HEEEEEY~!

rofl

i just had images of charlie and friends running around on pluto xd the horror!

Tom Cruise!  

angel_half82
Crew

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:15 pm
bluegrass cat
First Pancake
i said that there could be frozen CO2 on pluto, i dunno if anyone else mentioned it. Where are we going to ship it in from? xd sorry 20 questions

nope, i said it.

the ice of pluto is made mostly of frozen nitrogen with trace amounts of methane and carbon monoxide.

but, like i said before, if we could make biodomes and crap, why the hell would we WANT to live on pluto? its way out in the middle of nowhere, takes forever to get there, and there's no needed resources on the planet.

why wouldn't we just stay on earth and make a biodome here? stare

1. (To whoever says they read but didn't)I mentioned equiptment.
2. That's sort of the reason why... that, and because was can(could?)
3. Nitrogen, so either mostly populated my illegal nitrogen miners, for bombs, or use the nitrogen for power. Nitrogen makes that bomb substance that came from soap, right?

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:32 pm
Metalic_Noodles
bluegrass cat
First Pancake
i said that there could be frozen CO2 on pluto, i dunno if anyone else mentioned it. Where are we going to ship it in from? xd sorry 20 questions

nope, i said it.

the ice of pluto is made mostly of frozen nitrogen with trace amounts of methane and carbon monoxide.

but, like i said before, if we could make biodomes and crap, why the hell would we WANT to live on pluto? its way out in the middle of nowhere, takes forever to get there, and there's no needed resources on the planet.

why wouldn't we just stay on earth and make a biodome here? stare

1. (To whoever says they read but didn't)I mentioned equiptment.
2. That's sort of the reason why... that, and because was can(could?)
3. Nitrogen, so either mostly populated my illegal nitrogen miners, for bombs, or use the nitrogen for power. Nitrogen makes that bomb substance that came from soap, right?

~Metalic_Noodles

the fact that the nitrogen on pluto is FROZEN means that there's no way to prevent immediate frostbite and potentially immediate death. how do you suggest we set up these biodomes anyway? ((and before i get the "robots would do it!" argument, i'd like to point out that nasa's latest tiny robot to mars, the phoenix, cost between $284 million and $325 million, which is about as specific as nasa will get and they LAUGHABLY call it "a low-cost scouting mission" AND i'd like to point out that the phoenix DOESN'T EVEN MOVE AROUND ONCE IT GETS THERE. it just lands, drills, and that's it.))

pluto is also too cold to manufacture nitroglycerin, if that's what you mean by "that bomb substance that came from soap". stare anything under like, 45 degrees causes it to go inactive, and then when you DO heat it back up, its incredibly unstable.

seeing as how nitrogen makes up a HUGE portion of earth's atmosphere, i can't see why we'd go to pluto for it. and since the profit of making nitroglycerin is next to nil NOW, there's no way "illegal nitrogen miners" would ever even come into being. not enough money to be had traveling waaaaay the ******** out to pluto, setting up shop, making sure your people don't freeze to death and then making nitroglycerin that, at best, would be highly unstable once it got to wherever it was going.

there are lots of places in the universe we CAN go. it doesn't mean we're going to GO to all of them.  

WastelandMama
Crew

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:48 am

Humans are like lise, they are parasites that methodially harm and feed off the land with nothing in return, eventually provoking thier world to fight back. At that point they just go find a new world to destroy.

Maybe Saga of the seven suns, is affecting my thoughts, but I really think we'd live on pluto, just because we can, and find something in or on it to take, manufature into something very different, and use whatever we created to destry more worlds and each other.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:37 pm
Metalic_Noodles

Humans are like lise, they are parasites that methodially harm and feed off the land with nothing in return, eventually provoking thier world to fight back. At that point they just go find a new world to destroy.

Maybe Saga of the seven suns, is affecting my thoughts, but I really think we'd live on pluto, just because we can, and find something in or on it to take, manufature into something very different, and use whatever we created to destry more worlds and each other.

~Metalic_Noodles

oh yes, parasites.

please do go tell that to the many indigenous peoples of the world who live in harmony with their surroundings...

its cliche, but science fact is way cooler than science fiction. maybe you should read a bit to balance out all this fiction you're basing your opinions on. 3nodding  

WastelandMama
Crew

Althea_Muirin

Quotable Genius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:55 pm
They said Pluto couldn't be a real planet because of it's size and the fact that it and Neptune switch places every few orbits. They said pluto is a "dwaf planet" along with a huge asteroid in the asteroid belt.WTF?And the Planet X thing they found they can't seem to make up their minds about. Originally they named is Quaar or something like that after the Native American water Goddess then they changed the name to Xena! As in Xena warrior princess the T.V. show!They have no clue what they are doing. They are probably just trying to hide the fact that we haven't gone back to the moon. xp  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:27 pm
This thread has just become so so so so so stupid.

/thread

sage

etc etc etc.  

angel_half82
Crew

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:03 pm
bluegrass cat
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

oh yes, parasites.

please do go tell that to the many indigenous peoples of the world who live in harmony with their surroundings...

its cliche, but science fact is way cooler than science fiction. maybe you should read a bit to balance out all this fiction you're basing your opinions on. 3nodding

I don't see those people killing the land they live on and needing to find more in a new planet. I also see in text books about how we so kindly give them smallpox blankets when they don't GTFO of thier land so that it can be burned to the ground, and then replanted and called a natural preserve.

I change my mind, well put half-assed equiptment on pluto, and dump all the 'tribes' that are in the way of pointless hotels, stores, and parks.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:50 pm
angel_half82
This thread has just become so so so so so stupid.

/thread

sage

etc etc etc.

agreed.

i have no idea how to further respond to anything. crying

i hate it when intelligent conversation and debate dies a slow, pitiful death...

let's fix it, hon!

okay, um...oh! i know! what about all the people who thought pluto SHOULD be like, "grandfathered" in as a planet since it was named one BEFORE the official definition was created! think they have a valid point?

heart  

WastelandMama
Crew

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:46 pm

The easy answer is that it would a a double standard and as of yet there is no proof that plants are alive.

But, almost everything has a double standard, or more. I think for our generations, it's 7 planets, pluto being one of them, and for the younger generation, it's whatever the hell we* descided to tell them.

(*I was going to put 'they', but then I realized that we are the generations teaching the current elementary schoolers.)

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:27 pm
Metalic_Noodles

The easy answer is that it would a a double standard and as of yet there is no proof that plants are alive.

But, almost everything has a double standard, or more. I think for our generations, it's 7 planets, pluto being one of them, and for the younger generation, it's whatever the hell we* descided to tell them.

(*I was going to put 'they', but then I realized that we are the generations teaching the current elementary schoolers.)

~Metalic_Noodles

WHAT??

User Image  

angel_half82
Crew

Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:12 am
bluegrass cat

okay, um...oh! i know! what about all the people who thought pluto SHOULD be like, "grandfathered" in as a planet since it was named one BEFORE the official definition was created! think they have a valid point?

heart

That's what I was refering to. I thought it would be a double standard, but since so many things are a double standard, it may or may not matter.

~Metalic_Noodles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:24 am
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

Proof that plants are alive? Im almost 100% sure that plants are alive (unless I am wrong, isnt that what MRS C GREN refers to? Anything that reproduces, excretes, has nutritional needs, grows, etc is alive?). Did u mean planets?

What generation are you refering to? I'm not deciding anything that will affect the generation below me yet mrgreen

For Bluegrass cat's question: i dont think pluto should be grandfathered in as a planet since it was named one before the valid definition was created. We dont go around saying the earth is flat, or that the solar system circles the earth for the sake of tradition do we? Science moves on, so should we 3nodding  

Iconised Ghost

WastelandMama
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:17 pm
Iconised Ghost
Metalic_Noodles

~Metalic_Noodles

Proof that plants are alive? Im almost 100% sure that plants are alive (unless I am wrong, isnt that what MRS C GREN refers to? Anything that reproduces, excretes, has nutritional needs, grows, etc is alive?). Did u mean planets?

What generation are you refering to? I'm not deciding anything that will affect the generation below me yet mrgreen

For Bluegrass cat's question: i dont think pluto should be grandfathered in as a planet since it was named one before the valid definition was created. We dont go around saying the earth is flat, or that the solar system circles the earth for the sake of tradition do we? Science moves on, so should we 3nodding

as yes, this is exactly what i think, too! science marches ever onward!

i do wish we could include the dwarf planets in the list of planets we learn as children, though...we'd have to come up with an awesome saying to remember them all ((like "my very excellent mother just served us nine pies" only with a few more words)). 3nodding  
General Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff