View Results

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:04 pm
Shiranui-You...talk to an invisible snake? What's his name? And if you're a furry, you shouldn't be complaining about me, because according to several poeple know I am one. And where'd you come from? Um, dude, I was including them. True, they didn't call them dragons. But they were translated as dragons. Selikies could be men or women, I've been having dreams about a family of them. And yes, I do tend to have an overeative imagination. But the Make-names came from my dreams. I wasa little kid in the dreams and haven't been able to remember them.
Where the heck did you come from?

@Viral- draongs are not only mentioned in Revelations, and trust me I know Revelations is Symbolic i've read it three times. THey were also mentioned in Job, Psalms...

GTR- That's funny! Where'd you get it?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:26 pm
Where do I come from? The dark reaches of the ATG. And the invisible snake is better explained here: The Daemon Page

Back on topic. Some were translated as dragon. Although the word itself (from draco) has only been used in the last 2000 years. Other ones were listed in my original post.  

Shibaken

Lazy Werewolf

Red Glacier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:38 pm
vrgnBlu
Shiranui-You...talk to an invisible snake? What's his name? And if you're a furry, you shouldn't be complaining about me, because according to several poeple know I am one. And where'd you come from? Um, dude, I was including them. True, they didn't call them dragons. But they were translated as dragons. Selikies could be men or women, I've been having dreams about a family of them. And yes, I do tend to have an overeative imagination. But the Make-names came from my dreams. I wasa little kid in the dreams and haven't been able to remember them.
Where the heck did you come from?

@Viral- draongs are not only mentioned in Revelations, and trust me I know Revelations is Symbolic i've read it three times. THey were also mentioned in Job, Psalms...

GTR- That's funny! Where'd you get it?

The bible is symbolic in many ways Blu razz Honestly its not saying anything that you are speaking of.

Actually I need to direct this at Shira too razz  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:41 pm
*faceslap* People, all I wanted ot know is about Selkies. I'm thinking about writing a bnook and I wanted more information.  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:13 pm
User Image

Shira Don't forget that the word Draco or dracos means giant serpent and has nothing to do with "dragons". Also, you remind me of someone but I can't place who, did you used to go by a different name?

Blu if that's all you wanted to know about, then your entire topic is misleading.
User Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:33 pm
vrgnBlu
I know Revelations is Symbolic i've read it three times

That's frightening. srsly.

GRM: Depends on where else you go.  

Shibaken

Lazy Werewolf

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:00 pm
User Image

I meant on Gaia, did you have a different name on Gaia?

At least she knows it's symbolic and not to be taken as is! That would be scary!
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:29 am
Shira, you do seem familiar...I haven't been in the ATG long but you DO seem familiar...I only read it thrre time because my old pastor was REALLY boring...And GRM's right, it COULD mean Serpent or Giant Serpent.

GRM, I know the topic name is mileading, but I couldn't think of anything else at the moment and Iwas trying to hold onto my dream...I'll change it, I promise. {God, your little Deaths are so cute!!!i jsut want ot hug one! i don't know why but I do!}

...HOW did this go off topic so fast and far-off like!?  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:42 am
vrgnBlu
But they were translated as dragons.
User Image

No.

No.
No.
No.
No.
No.

They do not translate to "dragon". This is the most annoying thing about how people regard languages. "Dragon" is our name for fire-breathing, flying lizards. "Azdahāg" is the name in a different language for what we call "Dragons". azdahāg DOES NOT translate as dragon.

It may refer to the same thing, but it does NOT translate as such.

>__<

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:00 am
You knwo what Imean Bass. Yes, you are right, but we English speakers are idiots who speak the hardest language ot learn and think everything should translate as we want it.
...Which is why I like Spanish so much. it's a lot more direct, and when it translates straight into english, for the english it makes no sense. English sucks. xp  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

God-The-RapistV1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 am
vrgnBlu
You knwo what Imean Bass. Yes, you are right, but we English speakers are idiots who speak the hardest language ot learn and think everything should translate as we want it.
...Which is why I like Spanish so much. it's a lot more direct, and when it translates straight into english, for the english it makes no sense. English sucks. xp
User Image

No, you obviously don't understand ANYTHING.

IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE AS DRAGON. IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE AS DRAGON. IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE AS DRAGON.

Get it? No? You can't because you don't know what 'translate' means?

Here lets put it this way.

WHEN YOU TRANSLATE DRACO OR DRACOS TO ENGLISH IT MEANS SERPENT. WHEN YOU TRANSLATE AZDHAG INTO ENGLISH IT MEANS SERPENT THE SIZE OF A MOUNTAIN. NOT DRAGON.

Ok? Get it yet?

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:38 am
...that...was kinda overkill...yes, I get it. Calm down now, please.  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:25 pm
vrgnBlu

English is NOT the hardest language to learn. Difficulty is relative. If you think everything should translate the way you want it to, that's fine. Call yourself an idiot, then. But don't drag the entire English-speaking population into it. Some of us have a decent grasp on linguistics, thank you very much, and many English-speaking people are multilingual.

If you translate any language word-for-word into another language, it's not likely to make any sense. It is certainly not limited to English.

You'd do well to remember that when studying any sort of mythology or legend. Languages evolve, and so do folk-tales. We're always learning new things about the way our predecessors communicated. It would only take the mistranslation of a few key words to completely alter a myth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:29 am
Actually, Taeryyn, English is supposedly the hardest to learn. I knwo a Japanese exchange student who finds English harder to learn than Spanish, because he's taking both. and I am bilingual, so...yeah...

Did you know that he bible was once tranlated so terribly they re-did it? This king named Roger...I'm not sure which country he was from, but he wanted a tranlation of the bible, and when he got it it made no snese compared ot his other bibles, so they had it redone. I don't remeber where I heard that orm...I think from my dad...  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:04 am
User Image

English IS hard to learn but it's not the hardest. I don't know what would be the hardest language to learn, it depends on each person.

English is exceptionally hard for people of the orient to learn because they don't use past tense like we do and they don't have conjunctions such as is, and, or, and they. Also they don't understand contractions such as aren't, isn't, she's, can't and so on.
User Image

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces