PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:27 pm
God-The-RapistV2.0
lazycommie
God-The-RapistV2.0
lazycommie
God-The-RapistV2.0
User Image
You're an idiot.

You think that legislature that literally limits the abilites of an entire group of people from creating Real jobs and owning a business does not push them to crime?

in 1996 there were still laws in New York State which disallowed Gypsies from even ENTERING. That means anyone with Romany blood was allowed to LIVE in New York State, and you don't think things like this effect people.

Come On. That's just ten types of stupid.

--------------------------------------------

Art By: La Belle Isolde

You're a moron. You seem to keep dragging race and how they're "oh so oppressed" into this, as if oppression and race make someone a good person automatically.

"Gypsies" under the letter of the law, does not specifically target Romanys, but rather Romany/Irish "gypsies"(essentially roving groups of thieves and fraudsters who do as such out of a cultural thing).

Learn the law, quit being an idiot and stop trying to push the "they're oppressed so they can't be in the wrong ever" BS.
User Image

I have more knowledge of the law in my pinky finger than you do in your entire body.

Don't ******** think that you can be king s**t in a day.

Apparently not. Also you still seem to insist on playing the "oh they have suffered" card, which shows a lack of common sense, by assuming that calling someone of a minority a bad person is automatically racist.

Oh...wait...I'm a minority(see steph and I's discussion for the context and reason why this is funny). Your argument fails. hard.
User Image

I didn't say they were picked on because they were a Minority YOU DID. I said they were picked on AND a minority and that it's wrong to defend ONE minority and not another.

Again, you seem to have trouble reading. I'm saying hat you playing the "oh they have suffered" card(for whatever reason) is bogus, and is for all intents and purposes the same as playing the race card.

Also, why aren't you defending me, then, by your own logic?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:28 pm
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
Taeryyn
Thieving: It isn't Romany people as a whole who do this. =/ If "Gypsy" culture in the US means "wandering thieves", then fine. You have a group of wanderers in your community who are allegedly thieves. That's gotta suck. But stop labelling an entire ethnic group as good-for-nothing thieves.

The negative stereotypes against Romany people have been used as an excuse for attempted genocide and persecution on a huge scale. Do you honestly think that each and every person that is a Gypsy is a bad person?

"Gypsy" culture in US = what I've been talking about. It has little to do with the race, as I've mentioned several times before here, yet nobody seems to bother reading anything said and instead decides to play the "let's all call lazy a racist and follow GTR's ignorant lead" game.

The negative stereotypes against [insert race of your choice] have been used as an excuse for persecution on a huge scale. This applies to any race, so dragging the "oh they have suffered" argument into things fails hard. Also, please pay attention to context.

Not whites. At least, not American whites. =/

I beg to differ, as I've seen it. Any place where whites are a racial minority in that general location, you can see it. It's a case of "when any race is a majority in a given location, everyone else will have problems".

Beg all you like, but most of the negative behavior toward whites when they are the minority is due to historical context - somewhere down the line, some white person ruined that person of color's opinion of all white people.
Is this any different from your previous statement? "Travelling thieves, by nature of being travelling thieves, are obviously gyspies (a term which I refuse to believe that an erudite person like yourself does not recognize the connotation of?)"  

The Dinosaur Next Door

lazycommie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:29 pm
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

Race and culture are so similar and so closely related as to be the same concept. I think you used a socially-charged term in order to spark discussion, and now that you're in a position to have to defend yourself, you're splitting semantic hairs.
Anyway, I don't care for racial discussion (I'm white, so I've had enough of the trump card being, "let me tell you what your people did to mine...") because it's unnecessary in civil conversation...
Though, yes, it is racist.

If race and culture are "the same concept"(they're not, not even close, if you want a great example compare blacks from Africa with blacks in the US), then what about race and crime? Or race and literacy? If we're going to drag things like that into it, this will not end well for anyone involved...

I wasn't using my race as a trump card, but rather as a way to show the idiocy of using race as a trump card, something which some people here seem to insist on doing.

:sigh:
You just proved me right. Because these concepts are so deeply intertwined, it's better to just leave them alone, lest it "not end well for anyone involved." Again, topics like this have no place in a social setting, right along with religion and sex.
No no, I know that. I was specifically explaining why I personally dislike racial conversation. Between the condescention and the resentment that people of color display toward me when I attempt an educated discussion on it, I've decided it's pretty much useless to try.

The reason I brought it up to begin with is for context, something a lot of people here don't seem to understand the meaning of. Like I said, I'd use "gorram gangstas" or any other term to apply to any given group, for context's sake.

Or you could just say, "wtf with the stealing, people?" and leave all the socially-charged and potentially hurtful moral-one-upping out of this. Which is my main concern with this thread, to be honest.

Largely because I didn't see everyone deciding to jump on the "let's all be social crusaders and make ourselves feel good by playing on a side note to the actual thread!" bandwagon.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:33 pm
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
Taeryyn
Thieving: It isn't Romany people as a whole who do this. =/ If "Gypsy" culture in the US means "wandering thieves", then fine. You have a group of wanderers in your community who are allegedly thieves. That's gotta suck. But stop labelling an entire ethnic group as good-for-nothing thieves.

The negative stereotypes against Romany people have been used as an excuse for attempted genocide and persecution on a huge scale. Do you honestly think that each and every person that is a Gypsy is a bad person?

"Gypsy" culture in US = what I've been talking about. It has little to do with the race, as I've mentioned several times before here, yet nobody seems to bother reading anything said and instead decides to play the "let's all call lazy a racist and follow GTR's ignorant lead" game.

The negative stereotypes against [insert race of your choice] have been used as an excuse for persecution on a huge scale. This applies to any race, so dragging the "oh they have suffered" argument into things fails hard. Also, please pay attention to context.

Not whites. At least, not American whites. =/

I beg to differ, as I've seen it. Any place where whites are a racial minority in that general location, you can see it. It's a case of "when any race is a majority in a given location, everyone else will have problems".

Beg all you like, but most of the negative behavior toward whites when they are the minority is due to historical context - somewhere down the line, some white person ruined that person of color's opinion of all white people.
Is this any different from your previous statement? "Travelling thieves, by nature of being travelling thieves, are obviously gyspies (a term which I refuse to believe that an erudite person like yourself does not recognize the connotation of?)"

And how is that any different than a white person holding the same against [insert race here]? What makes it justifiable, but not for the reverse? Why is one "acceptable"?

You are close, but not quite. A closer example would be "traveling thieves, by nature of being traveling thieves, are not good people". Gypsy, to me, has always conotated with "traveling thief", not "Romany". If I was going to say "all Romanys are bad people"(note, I am not saying that, it's just a hypothetical), I wouldn't have included the word "gypsy" in it at all.  

lazycommie

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:36 pm
lazycommie

And how is that any different than a white person holding the same against [insert race here]? What makes it justifiable, but not for the reverse? Why is one "acceptable"?

You are close, but not quite. A closer example would be "traveling thieves, by nature of being traveling thieves, are not good people". Gypsy, to me, has always conotated with "traveling thief", not "Romany". If I was going to say "all Romanys are bad people"(note, I am not saying that, it's just a hypothetical), I wouldn't have included the word "gypsy" in it at all.

If you had said that to begin with, no one would have jumped down your throat. gonk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 pm
User Image

Wow, you truly are a ******** racist. You can't step back and see that by calling a group of people something, and accusing them of doing something bad without ANY proof is being racist, no matter what the hell "race" you are.

Are you a human? Yes? Well guess what, so are they! What gives you any ******** right to blame people without any ******** proof!

Latinos aren't a race either. If you speak Spanish in America, guess what? YOUR A LATINO! Can/do you speak spanish?

I still can't believe how racist you are.

Oh and by they way, stop ******** double posting! Just because this is your thread and you can't keep up to the people who say you're being stupid (********, even SAV came in and said it), doesn't mean you don't have to abide by the guilds rules...

Edit: It's never acceptable for anyone to play the race card, or accuse of others because of race.
User Image

God-Raped-Me

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 pm
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

Race and culture are so similar and so closely related as to be the same concept. I think you used a socially-charged term in order to spark discussion, and now that you're in a position to have to defend yourself, you're splitting semantic hairs.
Anyway, I don't care for racial discussion (I'm white, so I've had enough of the trump card being, "let me tell you what your people did to mine...") because it's unnecessary in civil conversation...
Though, yes, it is racist.

If race and culture are "the same concept"(they're not, not even close, if you want a great example compare blacks from Africa with blacks in the US), then what about race and crime? Or race and literacy? If we're going to drag things like that into it, this will not end well for anyone involved...

I wasn't using my race as a trump card, but rather as a way to show the idiocy of using race as a trump card, something which some people here seem to insist on doing.

You just proved me right. Because these concepts are so deeply intertwined, it's better to just leave them alone, lest it "not end well for anyone involved." Again, topics like this have no place in a social setting, right along with religion and sex.
No no, I know that. I was specifically explaining why I personally dislike racial conversation. Between the condescention and the resentment that people of color display toward me when I attempt an educated discussion on it, I've decided it's pretty much useless to try.

The reason I brought it up to begin with is for context, something a lot of people here don't seem to understand the meaning of. Like I said, I'd use "gorram gangstas" or any other term to apply to any given group, for context's sake.

Or you could just say, "wtf with the stealing, people?" and leave all the socially-charged and potentially hurtful moral-one-upping out of this. Which is my main concern with this thread, to be honest.

Largely because I didn't see everyone deciding to jump on the "let's all be social crusaders and make ourselves feel good by playing on a side note to the actual thread!" bandwagon.

How couldn't you, with your admittance as to the ties between race and culture? It's so obvious, an imbecile could make the connection. "If I post this emotionally-charged word with negative words around it, people might get upset."
That would be like me saying, "I'm white and my race has been supreme in our country since we got here, so ******** everyone else." Of course there will be backlash, because in both instances there are logical flaws, and socially-hyped meanings.
Edit:
It's not justifiable. It never is. The reason that I said that is because it makes the flaw in your original logic apparent. You used a potentially offensive term without consideration for who would read it and what they would feel, and that makes your post racist, whether you meant it that way or not. It's equally wrong for them, for me, and for you. Period. Exclamation.
@ GRM: Well, we are kind of tag-teaming him here...  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:43 pm
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

Race and culture are so similar and so closely related as to be the same concept.

As a amateur Human Geographer I cannot read past this first line in any way shape or form. There is a very large difference between Race and Ethnicity or culture. They are very different terms applied to very different things and it is important to make distinction between the two.

Race is the term applied to physical attributes of the group of people. It applies to a group of people's physical dispositions and genetics. It has nothing to do with the people's culture.

Ethnicity is the term you want as it describes the more cultural aspects of the people, but isn't used interchangeably with culture as ethnicity is a term for a group of people not the traits themselves.

If you are Black (race) you don't have to be African American (assuming you live in America) as it is only an ethnicity and ethnicity is more presumed then actual in many cases.

Culture is a term used to describe the beliefs of a ethnicity. It is a very difficult term to define and I won't make an attempt here past the bold text.  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

lazycommie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:44 pm
Taeryyn
lazycommie

If you had said that to begin with, no one would have jumped down your throat. gonk

I figured that was a given. Guess not.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 pm
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
lazycommie
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

How couldn't you, with your admittance as to the ties between race and culture? It's so obvious, an imbecile could make the connection. "If I post this emotionally-charged word with negative words around it, people might get upset."
That would be like me saying, "I'm white and my race has been supreme in our country since we got here, so ******** everyone else." Of course there will be backlash, because in both instances there are logical flaws, and socially-hyped meanings.
Edit:
It's not justifiable. It never is. The reason that I said that is because it makes the flaw in your original logic apparent. You used a potentially offensive term without consideration for who would read it and what they would feel, and that makes your post racist, whether you meant it that way or not. It's equally wrong for them, for me, and for you. Period. Exclamation.
@ GRM: Well, we are kind of tag-teaming him here...

I had figured that people were rather above such asinine assumptions, and used the terms which are/were familiar to me. I will say it flat out, I am not "PC", nor will I ever be. If I use a term that is "offensive" to someone, that's not intentional unless it's intended(and then it definitely will be easily noted as such), but that isn't remotely likely. Also, I haven't encountered a single Romany in this thread, only "PC police".

@GRM:

Funny, I posted what was sufficient for my statement several times, regarding how this isn't the first time these people have done it. Read, instead of just insulting and skimming.

"Latino" = of latin descent. You confuse "latino" with hispanic, which is a subset of latino. Even then, not all hispanics speak spanish. Since when does language have any bearing on issues of race? Does that make blacks who speak English different, racially, from Blacks who speak Swahili? What about Whites who speak Spanish? Or Whites that speak Arabic or Swahili or [insert other language here]? Race =/= ethnicity or culture!  

lazycommie

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:51 pm
Saverio C.
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX

Race and culture are so similar and so closely related as to be the same concept.

As a amateur Human Geographer I cannot read past this first line in any way shape or form. There is a very large difference between Race and Ethnicity or culture. They are very different terms applied to very different things and it is important to make distinction between the two.

Race is the term applied to physical attributes of the group of people. It applies to a group of people's physical dispositions and genetics. It has nothing to do with the people's culture.

Ethnicity is the term you want as it describes the more cultural aspects of the people, but isn't used interchangeably with culture as ethnicity is a term for a group of people not the traits themselves.

If you are Black (race) you don't have to be African American (assuming you live in America) as it is only an ethnicity and ethnicity is more presumed then actual in many cases.

Culture is a term used to describe the beliefs of a ethnicity. It is a very difficult term to define and I won't make an attempt here past the bold text.

I'll ease off of that on the grounds that it was inaccurate, but only slightly. Many people don't differentiate between culture and race, and evidenced by the response to the OP. As Lazy pointed out, gypsy=/= Romany, but look that the response to the word gypsy - it's as if it did! That said, for the purposes of my argument and the usage of both terms Romany and gypsy in this thread, my statement is accurate, though not absolute.
@ Lazy: You're kidding, right? Due to the presence of gypsies and an increase in theft rates, you assumed earlier that the gypsies are stealing from the folk in your town! In defending your use of that term, you just negated the argument you used to justify your OP.
I can see your logic, but I think it's flawed.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 pm
User Image

Steph, He said that all gypsies are thieves. And the fact that he is tieing in all the bad happenings to them is wrong as well. He has no proof, and this shouldn't have been said. He could have said "there are bad happenings, and recently gypsies have moved in, I THINK they may have something to do with it but I can't prove it", but he didn't. Also, there never fails to be an EDIT button, that's what it's there for. You go and edit your post in the edit you address who you want to talk to.

Romany gypsies are still a group of people. Are all Jews great at math and penny-pinch? ******** no. How about Mexican people, are they all lazy, tired people who are only good at border hopping and selling bags of oranges? Nope, don't think so. How about the Scottish, are we all bloody thirsty people who will lob off your head as soon as we can? Well I might be, but the rest of us aren't. You are labeling without proof which, in many people's eyes, IS TOTALLY WRONG!
User Image

God-Raped-Me

Agent_of_Misfortune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:56 pm
... *sniff*... i never said anything bad about gypsys.... i just sang a song.....

i dont discriminate... i hate all people...

rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 pm
I'm not defending him, I just meant to point out that it's likely difficult to juggle three, four, or five conversations at once. People forget things, sometimes, is all I was saying.
@ Lazy: You don't have to be Romany to disagree with the usage of the word gypsy in your OP (which is, frankly, inflammatory.)  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces