Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Words, People Don't Know What They Mean! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:42 am
Hate to say it, but of people I knew pronounced "been" like "bean" I'd laugh at them. I'd also get pretty hungry. Probly the only thing I get angry about when it comes to communication is when people wright. Mispelling stuff on purpose, never capitalizing anything... txt spk...emotes. I love hearing people talk though, it's interesting to hear how people learned as long is attempts to stick to most of the rules of the language.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:44 am
Inconceivable...

just simply inconceivable that someone whould know the meaning of that word. it's inconceivable that people have gotten through their life thinking an anniversary was less then a year, simply inconceivable.  

palnoki

TurtIe Tracks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:23 pm
I was insulting a person and saying things like her death would not be a loss for the world. She claimed I was "bitching."

I always got the impression that "bitching" was whining/complaining... am I wrong? :/

I HATE it when people use the wrong "there." It drives me INSANE. Like, "There walking there dog over their."

One of the worst times I saw misuse of words was when my social studies student teacher (I'm a student, by the way, not the teacher) wrote "affect" instead of "effect" in the sentence "The affect of Napoleon on France."

Later my normal teacher for that class said he STILL didn't know the difference. sad I felt my faith in humanity continue to deplete.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:40 pm
It took forever for me to learn the difference between effect and affect... BUT I LEARNED IT BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO BE STUPID...

Yeah, If I heard someone say, "We've BEAN here before" I would laugh too. It's inbetween, not 'bin' but not 'bean'. Been. Kind of like pen and pin. Some people can hear the difference, and some can't.  

lizzica

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:41 pm
I have to be honest... I always forget the difference between affect and effect. I ish sorry *hangs head in shame*  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:00 pm
I wish I could remember the breakthrough way someone told me to tell the difference... I know it has something to do with 'sound effect'. That's all I got. But it was totally a 'your left hand has an L' kind of revolution. heh.

Edit: Yes, "That's all I got" is impromper... my appologies.  

lizzica

Yvaine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:16 pm
An EFFECT is usually used as a NOUN.
1)It had an effect on me.
2)Sound/Lighting effect.

AFFECT is usually used as a VERB.
1)I affect indifference.
2)It affected us all.

There are of course exceptions:
1)I effected a hasty retreat.
2)Her Goody-Two-Shoes affect is so transparent.

But this is me being too damn lazy to look it up so I can explain why. Anyway, the exceptions rarely show up except on resumes. I had it explained to me years ago very simply, something along the lines of: with an effect, it's done. Fait accompli. With an affect, it's more of an ongoing thing - when you're affected, it goes on for a while. Whatever it was, the explanation has done such a great job that I haven't had to think about it for over a decade. Well, except when I get the urge to violently stab someone to death for using the wrong word.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:38 am
User Image

No no and no.

Neither are ever a Noun! A noun is a person, no, place, ******** no, or a thing, no.

EFFECT is a verb, and something called a transitional verb, because it is doing something you or you are doing something with it. Basically it's an action. "I have an effect the world."

Affect is an adjective, it describes stuff. Like, "The affect it had on me was a bad one"

Easy way to remember Affect : Adjective : Common ground is the A.

*Goes back to see if Pal was making fun of the way I commonly use Inconceivable*

**Note, inconceivable is another on of those ei words that don't follow rules. ******** YOU ENGLISH!

Edit: No I don't use that word in my first post ^_^. Perhaps it's one that bothers Pal?
User Image

God-Raped-Me

palnoki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:39 am
You bring up an interesting point Yvaine that I always had with language in general. I always viewed language as what it was intended for, a form of communication so that two people can share and express what they mean in an understandable way. But when people get upset that someone has bad grammar or they spelled something wrong but yet still understands what was said, I don't know why the person gets angry that the spelling or grammar was off. I am not saying you specifically smile just people in general have that compulsive urge to correct people. I understand if the person's error is such that you don't understand the meaning or the intent or the fine details of what is being said then saying something is a must so you can clarify what they meant!!

I wondered if people adopted compulsive spelling corrections from the way teachers would correct them and it might be something that is ingrained from the learning process, just a theory I have no idea.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:45 am
[quote="God-Raped-Me
*Goes back to see if Pal was making fun of the way I commonly use Inconceivable*

**Note, inconceivable is another on of those ei words that don't follow rules. ******** YOU ENGLISH!

Edit: No I don't use that word in my first post ^_^. Perhaps it's one that bothers Pal?

no I am totally okay with your awsome verbage, it's a play on the princess bride and the title of this thread. Vizzini keeps using the word inconceivable left and right. Finally inego montoya says "you keep using that word, i don't think it means what you think it means"  

palnoki

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:51 am
User Image

For me it just tells me a lot about the person. I don't mind typos here and there. But it's not hard to hit another button to make something a capital. That just implies laziness to me, because that's what I used to do. I know I was lazy and me not typing capitals went to me not writing them either.

Grammar however is something else to me. Commas and periods and such are there to help you with how you say the sentence. Like a period is a break between thoughts, facts, etc. Where as a comma is simply a pause usually used to take a breath and continue. Well that's how I read to. My mind needs that break, and pause if not then everything is slurred together and confusing.

Maybe that's just me and no one else reads like that too, but that's why I can't stand grammar mistakes.

Off topic, I own that movie and I now know what you're talking about. Great movie!
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:14 am
God-Raped-Me
User Image

No no and no.

Neither are ever a Noun! A noun is a person, no, place, ******** no, or a thing, no.

EFFECT is a verb, and something called a transitional verb, because it is doing something you or you are doing something with it. Basically it's an action. "I have an effect the world."

Affect is an adjective, it describes stuff. Like, "The affect it had on me was a bad one"

User Image

Full Definition of a Noun...
A noun is a word used to name a person, animal, place, thing, and abstract idea.
From this page:
http://www.arts.uottawa.ca/writcent/hypergrammar/nouns.html

From dictionary.com

ef⋅fect

–noun
1.something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence: Exposure to the sun had the effect of toughening his skin.
2.power to produce results; efficacy; force; validity; influence: His protest had no effect.
3.the state of being effective or operative; operation or execution; accomplishment or fulfillment: to bring a plan into effect.
4.a mental or emotional impression produced, as by a painting or a speech.
5.meaning or sense; purpose or intention: She disapproved of the proposal and wrote to that effect.
6.the making of a desired impression: We had the feeling that the big, expensive car was only for effect.
7.an illusory phenomenon: a three-dimensional effect.
8.a real phenomenon (usually named for its discoverer): the Doppler effect.
9. special effects.
–verb (used with object)
10.to produce as an effect; bring about; accomplish; make happen: The new machines finally effected the transition to computerized accounting last spring.

af⋅fect

–verb (used with object)
1.to act on; produce an effect or change in: Cold weather affected the crops.
2.to impress the mind or move the feelings of: The music affected him deeply.
3.(of pain, disease, etc.) to attack or lay hold of.
–noun
4.Psychology. feeling or emotion.
5.Psychiatry. an expressed or observed emotional response: Restricted, flat, or blunted affect may be a symptom of mental illness, especially schizophrenia.
6.Obsolete. affection; passion; sensation; inclination; inward disposition or feeling.

Seriously should start looking this stuff up guys. It's a few google searches and some copy and paste. Especially if you're gonna use so many exclamation points/seem annoyed in your rebuttal. If you're gonna mean business at least know you're right first.

And by the way you used both words as nouns in both your sentences. And the second sentence would also use effect.

Xikrai the Risen

Dapper Reveler

1,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:56 am
User Image

Ok, one, ******** my English teachers! Two, They're both nouns and affect is a verb AND a transitive verb. Effect is a transitive verb as well.

Also Animals thoughts and ideas would fall under "things" for me.

Again, ******** English!
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 am
pal: The reason I get so incredibly annoyed when people are too stupid to use an apostrophe correctly is this: How ******** hard can it be? I can do it properly and I'm not the smartest person in the world. I know that the person making the mistake is not a complete ignoramus, and he or she really ought to know better. Also using or failing to use an apostrophe changes the meaning of the word, just like using the wrong homonym breaks the meaning of a sentence. I find it very difficult to comprehend why someone whose original language is English, and whose language of instruction at school was English, would make such obvious and ridiculous mistakes after passing grade 5 or 6.

I am reminded by a conversation I recently had with a girl in Grade One, in which I tried to explain to her that "visible" and "invisible" are different, and in fact opposite, words. That sort of confusion is to be expected from a kid in grade one. I wouldn't expect it from her older brother who is in Grade 10, though.

Personally, I am really bothered by people being wrong. I was explaining this to Lin the other night. Level one of being wrong that annoys me greatly: being wrong in the first place. Level two is not being willing to see that you are wrong. Level three (I get pretty irate by the time this one is reached) knowing you are wrong and persisting in whatever it is. This is the category where "I misuse apostrophes because I can, because I think they do not get enough use" falls.Level four (also known as near-murderous rage) is TEACHING other people wrong information, knowingly or not. There is not excuse for perpetuating ignorance.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Blade_With_A_Name_On_It

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:53 pm
stare i heard some chick use "kilo" as a refference to time.... gonk

"Oh, it'll happen in just about a kilo, I think." smile

stressed

scream

evil

eek

palnoki
Inconceivable...

just simply inconceivable that someone whould know the meaning of that word. it's inconceivable that people have gotten through their life thinking an anniversary was less then a year, simply inconceivable.

to most girls (the ditsy kind) "monthaversary" is the same thing as an anniversary.... terrible, isn't it?  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff