Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Is cussing a sin? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nottaname

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:28 am
Shadows-shine
broken_ninja37
Shadows-shine
CrimsonsDecayingRose

Second, what is the sin that can not be forgiven? I heard it in passing at Church once, that one sin was worse than all others, but i did not hear what the sin is exactly.

Unpardonable sin. Blasphemey against the Holy Ghost. That is the one that will cause you to loose your salvation.

There is no unforgivable sin, God forgives all sin doesn't matter what sin it is

Then why did Jesus teach about one?

No, that's not how it work back in Paul's day. When he wrote an epistle, it was directed towards the Romans, Timothy, Corinthians, etc. The Bible was not compiled as the collection of books that it is today, so those letters were just directed at whom they were written.

All sin is seen as the same through the eyes of God, if one sin is unforgivable, then every sin is.

And the letters weren't directed at the people they were written to, when a letter was written to the church, it was copied and passed on to many other churches, so that everyone would know what not to do and what they should do  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:46 am
broken_ninja37
Shadows-shine
broken_ninja37
Shadows-shine
CrimsonsDecayingRose

Second, what is the sin that can not be forgiven? I heard it in passing at Church once, that one sin was worse than all others, but i did not hear what the sin is exactly.

Unpardonable sin. Blasphemey against the Holy Ghost. That is the one that will cause you to loose your salvation.

There is no unforgivable sin, God forgives all sin doesn't matter what sin it is

Then why did Jesus teach about one?

No, that's not how it work back in Paul's day. When he wrote an epistle, it was directed towards the Romans, Timothy, Corinthians, etc. The Bible was not compiled as the collection of books that it is today, so those letters were just directed at whom they were written.

All sin is seen as the same through the eyes of God, if one sin is unforgivable, then every sin is.

And the letters weren't directed at the people they were written to, when a letter was written to the church, it was copied and passed on to many other churches, so that everyone would know what not to do and what they should do

Not necessarily. There are sins that are worse than others. And no there is one sin, Christ Himself taught about it. I will cite the verse if I must.

Yes they were. I have done countless hours of research on this subject. That is how the epistles worked in Paul's time. It's history.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Nottaname

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:57 am
OK, what verse says that jesus told of an unforgivable sin?

Saying that the letters were directed at a group people is like saying that the ten commandments don't need to be followed, because they were directed at one group of people  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:23 pm
broken_ninja37
OK, what verse says that jesus told of an unforgivable sin?

Saying that the letters were directed at a group people is like saying that the ten commandments don't need to be followed, because they were directed at one group of people

I'm not just saying it. It's history! Why do you think it says "Paul's Epistle to the Romans", "Paul's Epistle to the Corinthians" etc. It's because back in his time, those letters were only written to address those specific individuals. Now, you can say they apply to the church as a whole, but that doesn't support any claim that man is "naturally" sinful.

Here you go:
Matthew 12:31

Quote:
31Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

The unpardonable sin!  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

CrimsonsDecayingRose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:31 pm
Sorry. I looked it up last night. (With a concordance's help). John 8:24.
It basically said that those who do not believe in Christ will bear the Unpardonable Sin. But if you come to a point where once you did not believed but now you do, can you not be forgiven?
Are the 2 the same? John 8:24 & Matthew 12:31? Or am I mistaken?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 pm
This thread has gotten off topic. Please go back to talking about the thread topic or find the apporiate thread.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:22 pm
CrimsonsDecayingRose
It basically said that those who do not believe in Christ will bear the Unpardonable Sin. But if you come to a point where once you did not believed but now you do, can you not be forgiven?

John 8:24 isn't talking about the Unpardonable sin... that's just if you don't repent before you die, well you die in your sins, not the same. But any sin that isn't asked for forgiveness for will not be forgiven true, but it's not the same concept as the Unpadonable Sin.

Matthew 12:31 talks about blasphemy. Christ said that you could blasphemey Him and the Father and those would be forgiven, but not blasphemey against the Holy Ghost.  
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:35 am
Shadows-shine
CrimsonsDecayingRose

John 8:24 isn't talking about the Unpardonable sin... that's just if you don't repent before you die, well you die in your sins, not the same. But any sin that isn't asked for forgiveness for will not be forgiven true, but it's not the same concept as the Unpadonable Sin.

Matthew 12:31 talks about blasphemy. Christ said that you could blasphemey Him and the Father and those would be forgiven, but not blasphemey against the Holy Ghost.

Then again, just as you said earlier, when Jesus was saying this he was talking to a certain crowd of people. Namely, the Pharisees, who had, by the way, just gotten done accusing Jesus of doing these miracles through Beelzebub's (or Satan) power and not through the power of God (i.e. the Holy Spirit). Jesus was saying that this was the blasphemy, and as such unforgivable.
One could argue that such it is no longer possible to commit such a sin, since we know without a doubt (as evidenced by the Bible) that Jesus was performing his miracles through Gods' power and not that of Satan.

Some sites for further information if I am unclear:

http://www.allaboutgod.com/unpardonable-sin.htm
http://www.bible-knowledge.com/unpardonable-sin/
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/unpardonablesin.html

Edit: Sorry. I know this is just further distracting from the OP, but I felt I needed to add this...  

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Naruto kun778

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:13 pm
gothic_black_rose
This thread has gotten off topic. Please go back to talking about the thread topic or find the apporiate thread.
Let them continue to talk if we don't sort things out we will never learn and we will be short on information.  
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:43 am
XxQuiinHotxX
gothic_black_rose
Let them continue to talk if we don't sort things out we will never learn and we will be short on information.
There's a Time to Laugh "Ephesians 2: 8-9"

The rules state to be on topic. She said for those who want to continue this to find the appropriate thread. Also another rule is to respect the crew/vice captains/and the captain. She is a vice captain and has the right and responsibility to uphold the rules.

And a Time to Cry "Romans 5: 3-5"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Naruto kun778

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:52 pm
faithful quenga
XxQuiinHotxX
gothic_black_rose

The rules state to be on topic. She said for those who want to continue this to find the appropriate thread. Also another rule is to respect the crew/vice captains/and the captain. She is a vice captain and has the right and responsibility to uphold the rules.

This will not help anyone if you dont discus this further they will be lost. how will they remember what they were talking about in this thread?  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:28 am

There are such things as opening multiple tabs in your web browser and looking at what you were talking about in one tab and finishing it the appropriate thread. Are you assuming that people are that dumb to not remember what they said in one post or another?

But I will state again, any more discussion that is NOT related to the topic of cussing being a Sin will be deleted.

This topic will not be deleted, but posts in it will if they continue to stay off topic.

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:39 am
Apologies for the meandering path this conversation has taken, and my contribution to it. I'll try to stay on topic...

XxQuiinHotxX
gothic_black_rose
XxQuiinHotxX
CrimsonsDecayingRose
faithful quenga

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, & the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful & just to forgive us our sins, & to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John1:8-9)

that verse there states what you're doing is deceitful which is a SIN

We say this every Sunday at church. Directly as you have it written.

She is my sister and i know what you guys mean. she is not saying once saved all ways saved she is saying that Let Jesus take over you lives so you don't have to worry about sin. Did Jesus ever sin he proved that you don't have to sin.

You are forgetting Jesus was fully God and fully man. He was fully man so he could die. He was fully God so he could go without sin so that he could die for our sins.

He had to become a man of flesh and bone so he could die but he could not use any of his Godly power or the death on the cross would have no effect

How is it that he couldn't use his power? What about the supernatural miracles he performed throughout the course of his ministry? Those were all just sort of coincidences?

To bring the convo back on topic, what words should I use then?

In my view, it's not possible to be cheery and polite all the time. Some words just don't convey the emotional intensity that I feel, and the words I use to express such feelings are words that, as stated previously in the discussion, are apparently sinful. What other option would there be for me to work around this?

Especially since, my use of words like 'shoot' or 'dang' aren't intended to be mock cuss words. But they do portray a certain level of intensity that other words just don't. I use words like 'shucks' and 'darn' synonymously with words like 'shoot' or 'dang'. Or 'fartmokeys' if I'm in a really bad mood...  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff